• Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Knives
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 12:09:15 AM »
Personally if I could I'd like the cleaver and holster Boris has in Snatch.  :D

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
I'm not a big fan of knives for defense either.  Using a knife as a weapon requires a whole lot of training, and it requires you to get into knife range of the other guy.  I carry knives as tools.  Yesterday, for instance, I trimmed some posters to fit into a frame with my knife.  I poked holes in the plastic on top of a frozen dinner.  I cut a zip-tie on a power cord.

If I want to defend myself against a lethal force attack, I have a 9mm.  If that doesn't work, I have a .38 Special as well.  If that doesn't work, I should have brought a rifle.  Knives have their place in the force spectrum, but it's very limited and they shouldn't be relied on as a primary defensive tool if you have the option of carrying a firearm.  Hell, even a good defensive cane like the Cold Steel City Stick is better than a knife, IMHO.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2009, 11:39:04 AM »
I'm not a big fan of knives for defense either.  Using a knife as a weapon requires a whole lot of training, and it requires you to get into knife range of the other guy.  I carry knives as tools.  Yesterday, for instance, I trimmed some posters to fit into a frame with my knife.  I poked holes in the plastic on top of a frozen dinner.  I cut a zip-tie on a power cord.

If I want to defend myself against a lethal force attack, I have a 9mm.  If that doesn't work, I have a .38 Special as well.  If that doesn't work, I should have brought a rifle.  Knives have their place in the force spectrum, but it's very limited and they shouldn't be relied on as a primary defensive tool if you have the option of carrying a firearm.  Hell, even a good defensive cane like the Cold Steel City Stick is better than a knife, IMHO.

True, but even with a minimal amount of training a knife-user can be downright deadly.

Of course, not if his opponent is carrying a firearm...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 05:33:53 PM »
True, but even with a minimal amount of training a knife-user can be downright deadly.

+1

I have some training with knives and a lot of it is how you hold the weapon and how you apply force etc. kind of like boxing. Where you strike is a big one too.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »

http://www.policeone.com/edged-weapons/articles/102828-Edged-Weapon-Defense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2009, 01:42:22 AM »
Thanks Bhu, I was looking for a good link for that.  Guns are not magical autokill devices.  For a gun to hurt you at all, it must be pointed directly at you.  At close range with a moving target, that's a lot harder than most people realize.  A knife, on the other hand, can be flailed and still cause severe tissue damage.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2009, 03:01:27 AM »
Thanks Bhu, I was looking for a good link for that.  Guns are not magical autokill devices.  For a gun to hurt you at all, it must be pointed directly at you.  At close range with a moving target, that's a lot harder than most people realize.  A knife, on the other hand, can be flailed and still cause severe tissue damage.

np

I've been reminded of it lots recently by an ex-cop friend.  He's teaching me firearms and such (used to do it for a living).  Between him and some of the guys I know who used to be in the military self defense weapons discussion is common.

One of them has a 12 gauge one shot deringer since his state allows fro concealed carry.  Wouldnt be my optimal choice, but he feels the looks on peoples faces are worth it

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2009, 05:13:40 AM »
I've been reminded of it lots recently by an ex-cop friend.  He's teaching me firearms and such (used to do it for a living).  Between him and some of the guys I know who used to be in the military self defense weapons discussion is common.
Groovy.  Not to many people in Japan that I can "guntalk" with, except the airsoft crowd.
One of them has a 12 gauge one shot deringer since his state allows fro concealed carry.  Wouldnt be my optimal choice, but he feels the looks on peoples faces are worth it
LOL!  That's why if I lived in a country where firearms were permitted, I'd probably buy something like the Colt Anaconda.  You can stick your index finger right into the barrel!  :D
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »
Knives have their place, but a gun is generally a more effective overall defensive weapon.  Of course, part of that effectiveness involves preventing people from getting into knife range with you, and knowing how to counter them if they do :)  A layered defense is best, with melee, firearm, and nonlethal options on the table.

Anyway, I was under the impression that the OP wanted a tool, not a weapon.

In that case, I'm a big fan of a Leatherman Wave.  Everything you need, nothing you don't, and even the People's Republik of Kommiefornia can't call it a concealed weapon if it's on your belt.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »
I want a knife to help my collection (and occasionally used a tool or [on extremely rare occasions] a defensive instrument)
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 07:58:26 AM »
Well if you want  a tool theres always swiss army knives

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8b97/?cpg=froogle

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
Thanks to an unfortunate run-in with airport security (don't ask, I'm retarded) I lost my Leatherman and my pocket knife flying for work.  I just now put in the orders to replace them - 1 Leatherman Blast and 1 Kershaw Leek are on their way to my house.

Now to do the expense report...   :p
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.