Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Knives
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 10:37:10 AM »
Here is a couple examples

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=KER1079

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=KABMACHETE

I'm interested in the Outcast as well. I might pick one up as a b-day gift for myself. But there are better prices available. Do a shopping search on Google.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
I own dozens of knives, both folding and fixed blade. My current daily carry is a Junkyard Dog II with a composite blade. Any number of Kershaw's blades make good choices though. I especially like their assisted opening designs.

Graytigeress

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 05:22:16 AM »
Knives and swords turn me on.  My husband buys me them all the time. We have them hanging on our walls.

If it wasn't for your husband, I would totally invite you to my dining room.  Give me time for pics, as I'm not at home, and don't have internet at home anyway.

Well, where are they?  ;)

In me the tiger sniffs the rose and watches butterflies!

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »
Knives and swords turn me on.  My husband buys me them all the time. We have them hanging on our walls.

If it wasn't for your husband, I would totally invite you to my dining room.  Give me time for pics, as I'm not at home, and don't have internet at home anyway.

Well, where are they?  ;)

Give me time, I don't have internet at my house.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 11:54:57 PM »
I'll be the first to admit I'm a sucker for shiny blades, but I don't own any. Part of it being because I suck at maintenance, part of it being because the only blade I know how to use moderately well is a katana, and I only know how to slash with it (not very well, might I add).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 03:36:32 AM »
I've been carrying the same Kershaw Leek for about 5 years now, and it's been a great pocket knife.  I use it at work all the time to open boxes, cut/strip wires, trim edges of things, etc.  Also, the assisted opening is very, very cool.

Some states consider it a switchblade though, so beware that.  I almost got arrested in NYC once.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=3&brand=kershaw
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 04:46:07 AM »
Used to own one of these: Cold Steel True Flight Thrower
along with my collection of other cheaper throwing knives.  It was great, but after about a year of use, the blade eventually developed a slight curve.

As for a utility knife, I've recently been interested in things like THIS and THIS.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
I've been carrying the same Kershaw Leek for about 5 years now, and it's been a great pocket knife.  I use it at work all the time to open boxes, cut/strip wires, trim edges of things, etc.  Also, the assisted opening is very, very cool.

Some states consider it a switchblade though, so beware that.  I almost got arrested in NYC once.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=3&brand=kershaw

I've got a Leek sitting here on my desk. It used to be my EDC. Nice little knife.

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »
Used to own one of these: Cold Steel True Flight Thrower
along with my collection of other cheaper throwing knives.  It was great, but after about a year of use, the blade eventually developed a slight curve.

As for a utility knife, I've recently been interested in things like THIS and THIS.

My multi-tool of choice is the SwissTool. I carry one daily. Stainless steel, all tools can be accessed while the pliers are closed and each tool has a lock. Nice, smooth edges as well, comfortable in the hand. Though it isn't light I admit. But after 5+ years it still looks brand new.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »
Got a link?
PbP Games

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 04:18:44 AM »
serious. All this ruff and tough stuff is why they have knife laws in places like New York - so punk kids might get apprehended prior to the incident instead of after.

P.S. Katanas suck, western swords are better.  :P (couldn't resist)

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 05:36:30 AM »
In my experience, I would recommend NOT carrying a knife around day-to-day; you might as well carry a firearm or both - if you really want to get into it. Has anyone heard the expression 'bringing a knife to a gun fight'? Well in any serious situation a small knife - though useful for cutting rope, ends up getting you hurt. If you pull a knife on me in a bar brawl that gives me license to kill.

Who's talking about using a knife in a fight?  The OP is looking for advice on a pocket knife, which is predominantly a tool, not a weapon.
PbP Games

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 06:10:06 AM »
Who's talking about using a knife in a fight?  The OP is looking for advice on a pocket knife, which is predominantly a tool, not a weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs

this one looks interesting...

That's just the general vibe I got from most of this thread and its 'flipping' action etc.

Why else would you carry a knife around day-to-day? What are you going to do with it? carve wood? Bull! It's no like he is going camping everyday and how many people actually need a 'pocket' knife for their job. People carry knives because it makes them feel 'dangerous' and capable - this is an illusion.

He wasn't looking for a pocket knife he was looking for a collectable. Switchblades arn't the type of pocket knife you are refering to.

I'm starting a knife collection, so any non kitchen knife will do.

All I suggested was to not bother carrying it around day-to-day as it's pointless and stupid. I was saying that carrying a weapon, of any sort, is putting your head through the glass ceiling of 'safety' in modern society and continued with 'in for a penny, in for a pound'.

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 08:47:20 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs

this one looks interesting...

That's just the general vibe I got from most of this thread and its 'flipping' action etc.

Why else would you carry a knife around day-to-day? What are you going to do with it? carve wood? Bull! It's no like he is going camping everyday and how many people actually need a 'pocket' knife for their job. People carry knives because it makes them feel 'dangerous' and capable - this is an illusion.

He wasn't looking for a pocket knife he was looking for a collectable. Switchblades arn't the type of pocket knife you are refering to.

All I suggested was to not bother carrying it around day-to-day as it's pointless and stupid. I was saying that carrying a weapon, of any sort, is putting your head through the glass ceiling of 'safety' in modern society and continued with 'in for a penny, in for a pound'.

I completely disagree.  I've carried a pocket knife almost every day for the last 5 years, and I use it constantly for little things.  Opening boxes, cutting up small things at work, getting new electronics out of that ridiculous packaging...

I've never been in a fight, never thought of it as a weapon, but I need to sharpen it on a regular basis because I use it ALL the time, for little handy things.  I was in the "pointless and stupid" camp until I actually got one - now if I forget to put it in my pocket I invariably reach for it to open/pry/cut something and feel stupid for not having it.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »

You seem full of little sayings!  How about 'obvious troll is obvious'?

The OP wants recommendations, not your views on personal self-defense.

I completely disagree.  I've carried a pocket knife almost every day for the last 5 years, and I use it constantly for little things.  Opening boxes, cutting up small things at work, getting new electronics out of that ridiculous packaging...

I've never been in a fight, never thought of it as a weapon, but I need to sharpen it on a regular basis because I use it ALL the time, for little handy things.  I was in the "pointless and stupid" camp until I actually got one - now if I forget to put it in my pocket I invariably reach for it to open/pry/cut something and feel stupid for not having it.

Exactly!  A Swiss Army or Leatherman type multi-tool is great for day-to-day use.
PbP Games

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »

Tetsubo

• Email
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »
I've carried a knife everyday of my life for 32 years. I currently carry a Junkyard Dog II. I'm a firm believer in the concept that it is better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »
I don't consider my pocketknife to be a weapon, I consider it a tool.  If I want to rough someone up, I have my fists.  If I want to kill someone, I live in a state where I could get a gun legally in about five minutes if I needed to. 
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:21:17 PM by Bryan_0697 »

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »