Author Topic: Chapter 2: A trail of stones  (Read 11429 times)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Chapter 2: A trail of stones
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 10:55:43 PM »
Logan nodded. "Makes sense. Strike from claws from both sides to hurt them more." he said, flashing his claws and making an imitation of a rending motion.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 03:56:40 AM »
"Sounds good, but could we set up the fire so it will spread away quicker than towards the mountain? Lead some of the goblins off, so we don't have to fight as many. Samoval and his men aren't in any shape to fight more than they have to, and twenty of them seems like it could be a challenge, even if some of them are sickened. Ling-Ling, Nym, could you tell how many were mages?"
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:35 AM »
"There are about 20 goblin grunts in there, as well as a pair of higher ranked ones, possibly mages of some sort, and the red-skinned leader, definitely a mage. We couldn't get a good at the main hall, so there might be more of them in there.

Only four men of Samoval's team survive, Samoval himself, a human, a dwarf and a goliath. The rest of them ended up in the soup... The prisoners are being guarded by four goblins, but we managed to slip them their own weapons.

Nym managed to dump a rotten rat corpse in their food supply, so hopefully that will affect them at least somewhat.

I don't think the goblins noticed our infiltration, so we should still have the element of surprise on our side."
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
OOC:
[spoiler]
Just as an aside, starting the fire with nothing but flint might be a problem, since, if you recall, it rained that night, and this is a very heavy forest, the trees are easily 5-10 feet in diameter.  Also, if you recall, the feys might be pissed at you if you start uncontrollable forest fires.

Remember, only YOU can prevent forest fire.[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
"We don't actually have to set a full-fledged forest fire," says Nym.  "And frankly, I don't think we want to, for several reasons.  One: we still have to get our comrades out of here, and forest fires have an annoying habit of not going where you want them to.  Two: if I were a dragon who lived in a forest, I'd be a little curious if large parts of it started burning."

He sketches a quick diagram in the dirt. 

"What we want is a distraction.  That will be accomplished just as well by piles of damp brush that put out lots of smoke, but not much actual flame.  Those tunnels should draw like a chimney.  We're not planning to give the goblins a chance to fight the fire, anyway.  As a bonus, enough smoke will mean that they're effectively charging blind...they should be sitting ducks when they come out into the kill zone."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
"I have to agree with our shapeshifting companion on this.

As an extra point to consider, we only came here to rescue Samoval and his team. While I don't mind taking out the goblins that stand in our way, once our primary objective has been completed there's no point to stick around to fight the goblins. I just figured I'd mention it just in case."
Ling Ling adds while keeping vigilant for any possible spies.

[spoiler]Listen: 18
Spot: 26

Mindsight (100 ft. radius) remains active as well :)[/spoiler]
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »

OOC:

[spoiler]I know, it sucks, but heck, it carries the idea.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 06:24:14 AM »
[spoiler]It's better than just a general description, that's for sure :)

Say, what's the distance from the edge of the forest to the actual mountain?[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2009, 11:10:06 AM »
Around a 100 ft. till you start climbing the actual mountain, 300 ft. or so till the first tunnel.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »
Nym ponders.  "There may be another way," he says.  His form shimmers and flows, becoming more slender, and yet at the same time somehow...harder, more angular. 

[spoiler]
Wonder Nym powers, activate!  Shape of...an Oread!
[/spoiler]

The slender fae speaks in a voice which has a hint of granite to it, somehow.  "In this form, I can pass through the rock of the mountain, and I believe I can carry the prisoners out the same way, one at a time.  It's likely to be...fairly unpleasant for them, though."

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »
Nym ponders.  "There may be another way," he says.  His form shimmers and flows, becoming more slender, and yet at the same time somehow...harder, more angular. 

[spoiler]
Wonder Nym powers, activate!  Shape of...an Oread!
[/spoiler]

The slender fae speaks in a voice which has a hint of granite to it, somehow.  "In this form, I can pass through the rock of the mountain, and I believe I can carry the prisoners out the same way, one at a time.  It's likely to be...fairly unpleasant for them, though."
  :lol  :clap
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 04:05:10 AM »
"What about turnaround time? If they notice one or two are missing, they will make sure none of the others escape. How fast can you go all the way there and back? Could you get them all safe somewhere in between, and then get them the rest of the way, while we watch for the goblins noticing?"
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »
"What about turnaround time? If they notice one or two are missing, they will make sure none of the others escape. How fast can you go all the way there and back? Could you get them all safe somewhere in between, and then get them the rest of the way, while we watch for the goblins noticing?"

Nym (well, the stony-faced woman that has replaced Nym) makes a sour face.

"I can't move very quickly.  About as fast as I could walk.  As for leaving them somewhere in between, that would depend on whether there's a cave with breathable air.  I've never let go of someone inside solid rock.  I really don't want to think about what would happen if I did."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
"Could you scout to see if there are any caves near the mountain you might be able to use as a safehouse of sorts? It would be useful to know before we decide on a course of action." Ling Ling replies telepathically, perched atop a high treebranch still on the lookout.

[spoiler]Perhaps a Search and/or Survival check for Nym while earth gliding to find any caves?[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 04:15:31 PM »
[spoiler]You can try if you want :)[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
Nym considers that. "I can try.  There are a few problems."

He (she?) ticks them off.  "One: I'll have no idea if there's a cave there until I actually stumble across it. 

Two: caves are often occupied.

Three:  I'm quite confident that there's at least one cave.  Dragons generally don't sleep in trees.  I'm not really eager to meet the occupant of that cave."

Nym grimaces. "Overall, I think the best plan is still to create a distraction.  They're not going to be spending time peeking in on the prisoners in a locked cell if they think they're under attack."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
The group then hears Ling Ling in their minds: "Fair enough. I can sneak back in to the prisoner area to make sure no goblins are there to stop the escape of Samoval and his men."

Those that look up see a grin appear on the Beguiler's face while he communicates this message.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
Beyden, who had been leaning against a tree listening to the deliberation, suddenly burst out laughing (well, a muffled snort was more like it). Though stoic most of the time, their captain was known to have a rather eccentric sense of humour at times.

*snort* hah, dragons in trees... that's great...maybe it eats flying pigs...

"Alright, I think we should proceed with our original plan then. We already know the terrain up here; there are too many variables to tunnel in, especially if only Nym can go. We'll keep it as a backup though, if things go awry.

They should have sent scouts out to Cooper's dinner mess and our fake trails by now. Wek'tcha, go find an animal to light up as we discussed earlier and circle back around to meet us. LingLing, move in and re-establish contact with Samoval. We move when the guards come running out from our distractions."

OOC
[spoiler]Could Nym still glide in by himself and help the escape from the inside?
[/spoiler]
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2009, 09:54:28 PM »
OOC:
[spoiler]I'm not sure you were adressing me, but my answer as the DM is: he probably could.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 05:51:48 AM »
[spoiler]He could also just sneak in with me, like last time :)[/spoiler]