Author Topic: no base classes?  (Read 4115 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: no base classes?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 02:32:20 AM »
Hmm, I just remembered Bone Knight lets you retain certain paladin abilities when you convert to blackguard... plus it gives intimidate as a class skill which might open up a few PrCs with sneak attack that a paladin couldn't qualify for before... will try to work on something later. Of course, now we're stuck with some base levels, but it's hard to turn down double Cha to saves.

edit: Paladin 4/Bone Knight 1/XYZ ?/SBI 7/then drop the rest into blackguard, keep two paladin levels to stack Cha to saves, and that still gets you "fallen paladin 9" with that nutty undead companion which is potentially abuseable

finish: paladin 2/bone knight 1/XYZ ?/SBI 7/Blackguard ?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:52:44 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 02:44:10 AM »
Umbral Awn, the Shadow Hand Legacy Weapon, grants Sneak Attack at 8th level. "See the Rogue class feature"

It's prerequisites are: Base attack bonus+3, Weapon proficiency(dagger) and Hide 4 ranks. Just take it's Least Legacy only.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 03:32:14 AM »
Umbral Awn, the Shadow Hand Legacy Weapon, grants Sneak Attack at 8th level. "See the Rogue class feature"

It's prerequisites are: Base attack bonus+3, Weapon proficiency(dagger) and Hide 4 ranks. Just take it's Least Legacy only.

May need to steal this for my Unseen Seer.  No need for rogue anymore.  factotum 1/Diviner 5 all the way

true_shinken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 05:21:48 PM »
Don't you need at least 11 levels of Paladin to trade them for Blackguard levels?

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »
er, you seem to be correct, i hadnt noticed it before..

11 or more

A fallen paladin of this stature immediately gains a blackguard level for each level of paladin he trades in.

The character level of the character does not change. With the loss of paladin levels, the character no longer gains as many extra abilities for being a fallen paladin.

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »
Shadowbane Inquisitor counts as paladin levels when determining what fallen paladin abilities you get. I recall there was a debate on the semantics of this back on 339. Obviously, my build assume that the stacking works.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »
iirc - Maho both the combat class and the caster class, can have some sort of trade-off routine. I don't remember.
There was some trick to Maho + Apostle of Peace that yielded a loop of some sort ... it's a little hazy at this point.
Maho Caster definitely involved trading caster class levels for the Maho caster levels, and might work like the Pally/Blackguard swap.
Somebody have Oriental Adventures, to clarify this ?? !!

Trading away your base classes so you self qualify for your PrCs is just wrong and a twisting of the rules in my opinion.
The point was 2 levels go by-by, but you still have 2 hd, and those 2 hd still mean something.
The 2 levels / 2 hd that go by-by, are not Negative Levels.
So the question was: "What do you still have ?"
If those levels were Negative Levels, you don't have them, you have nothing.
If this is the case, then there would need to be a rules statement like: "This functions like a negative level."
It doesn't.
So those levels exist in a limbo of sorts.
What do they do? Nothing at all ?!

Note: a DM could always jack up a Rebuilding by throwing an Efreet and a Commoner at the rebuilder. Rebuild over  :(  :D.