Author Topic: Lim'Nalonalith  (Read 3712 times)

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Lim'Nalonalith
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
The smoke from the tip of my cigarre rose to the ceiling of the dim room.  It pooled and darkened there, but I kept my eyes down.  I wasn't looking for trouble.

She found me anyway.  She was a pushy dame, as dames often do.  But she said she had a job for me.

She said there wasn't any money in it.  I wasn't interested, but it promised travel so I took it just to get out of her sight.  Sometimes you just gotta take the exit.  And business is slow.

But what do I know. I'm no business man, I'm just doing my job.  I'm Lim and I'm a trader-- scrounger some say-- and some say worse.  I've got a good ear and a quick set of fingers, and I've been in the right place at the right time, if you know what I mean.  But everyone's luck runs out eventually, and I had a feeling mine was gettin' real short.

You work for the Zilbrak Laeln'fel, a guild that is officially a merchant guild, and unofficially a thieves guild. You also hire out members as high-class body-guards and thugs. Your guild has been flourishing along with Fhalq Nathir, and you've daringly taken advantage of the opportunities thus presented. This has won you a lot of success and a fair bit of prestige, in the past years. Through your connections and popularity as a merchant you became the guild representative to city government for mercantile affairs and regulation.

Even more, you were even promoted to be one of the Oreth'onin, the discreet, uppermost tier in the Laeln'fel guild. You don't know the identity of the other members. Lualnar, the guild head, coordinates with each of you individually. Recently he warned you of a coming test: a command, and a treacherous journey that would begin to lead your path to greatness.

You have no reason to believe Lualnar is lying, for though he is deceitful and cunning, he is a wise commander, and at times seems to be genuinely kind. However, he can be an exacting master, and his cryptic directives often leave you wondering how you fit into the larger picture, a boon to such a surreptitious syndicate.

Quote from: wezylithyx
Add Perform (weapon drill) to the fighter and swashbuckler lists of class skills

You totally just fixed these two classes. I had no idea it would be so simple.

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Lim'Nalonalith
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:19:02 AM »
Looking up from the bottom of the glass you are staring at, you notice something across the corner tavern table you don't recall being there a moment ago. You see a set of smiling white teeth and two vivid burgundy eyes gazing at you. Before your eyes the soft of glow of starlight slowly materializes. You recognize it as a cloak that is rumoured to reflect the current appearance of the sky in the Night Above. After a moment, Lualnar speaks. "Greetings, Lim"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:20:41 AM by wezylithyx »
Add Perform (weapon drill) to the fighter and swashbuckler lists of class skills

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
"Good evening," Lim says, "taking the usual?" a bit sarcastically since he knows Lualnar is not making a casual visit.

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »
Lualnar leans forward into the light of the purple and green faerie fire. He is wearing his usual half-mask of loose black cloth, suspended from a simple silver circlet, and his long white hair is braided and pulled back. As he stands to walk to the bar, you see he is dressed as usual. He wears his knee-length starry black cloak, a bandoleer of daggers on his chest, and from his belt hangs two short swords, a couple black lizardskin bags, and several wands.

He returns to the table with two goblets of fine Gloaming-made liqueur, a favorite of the guildmaster's. Setting one in front of you, he looks over with a grim smile. "I have a special task for you, Lim. It seems the Spider Queen has chosen you for a mission of utmost importance to the continued security of our great city. This news comes from the head priestess herself." His eyes wander and he speaks with exaggerated emphasis. The feeling in your gut tells you something is suspicious, and you can't tell whether he's speaking the truth, or if he even believes what he is saying "You may speak freely, I have warded us with a spell of screening."

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »
Lim wears fine, fashionable clothes that show he is an accomplished merchant.  Over them he wears a dark maroon, almost black, cloak that is covered with subtle embroidery.  His waist holds a polished rapier and a jewelled band holds back his hair.

"How can I say no to that?"  He thinks a minute.  "What kind of mission is it?"

Lim scans the tavern for any out-if-place characters.  Screen or no screen, a deity's commission is enough to make him feel a little nervous. 

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
The sparse patrons of the bar look to all be regulars. Lualnar looks at you and speaks. "The Matron seems to think there is threat to the North, apparently some Lolth revealed vision. You and several others have been chosen, though I don't yet know who." He speaks the Spider Queen's name with a snarl. "You will be departing to Undrek Thoz, where you shall then investigate this supposed danger. I still don't know too much about the whole affair, but I imagine you should settle your affairs and be ready to leave town in about a tenday." Lualnar looks away, seemingly in thought about the matter.

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »
Lim's head fills with questions.  what did I do to attract the spider's attention?. He looks over at his freind, "somebody must know who's going. I need more information. What danger do they speak of and what does it have to do with Thoz?" There was a lot of mysterious intentions here, and with lloth, the intentions were never good. what has the priestesses worried?  and why me?

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »
Sensing your distress, your chief and comrade looks at you with a dire gaze. "I cannot answer your questions, Lim. I believe that even the Matron doesn't know the nature of this threat. I imagine you will find out more when you get to the Segmented City. You are being sent under the guise as ambassadors, visiting to negotiate new trading terms and strengthen our ties with a powerful ally. I admit I cannot not see down your path... However, I know the Lord of Night has a purpose for you in this."

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
Lim is comforted, especially if his choosing is Vhaeraun doing and not Lloth's malice. He smiles a bit, "so how do we turn this to our advantage?"

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 08:10:26 AM »
Lualnar smiles. "I wish I could give you the answers. That is most of the information I have to give you now."

"You have some time here to prepare and tie up loose ends... and I have something to occupy that time for you." Reaching into a pouch, the masked drow produces a small timeworn tome. "I have just acquired something that may interest you. The journal of the drow Din'sareth." Lualnar presents the volume to you.

You know of Din'sareth, a fabled drow charlatan who swindled and extorted himself to great power throughout several cities. It is said he wielded powerful shadow magic, and possessed a quick blade and tongue. "It seems to be mostly arcane musings... However it's difficult to know exactly what it contains, as you will see. I have little use for it; however I believe it belongs in your hands."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:54:38 AM by wezylithyx »

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
"Very well."  Lim takes the book and eyes it curiously.  Then he turns his attention to his drink and the preparations he must make.

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
"I have a little more information for you" Lualnar says. "The journey to Undrek Thoz will be complicated. You must first travel to an area free of Faezress outside the city. You will then be able to teleport most of the way there. You then must hike the rest of the distance to Sshurlynder, what I believe shall be your destination. If my intuition is right, you'll be hosted by house Bin'ath'kah, a sly and power-hungry lot who is allied with House Xarann, and an advocate for increased ties with Fhalq Nathir in Undrek Thoz."

"I have an ally within the city that may aid you, if you do the same for him. His name is Jhul'Dez, and he leads an assassins guild there that hold the same allegiances as myself. This might help lead you to how best take advantage of your escapade."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:05:19 AM by wezylithyx »

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:43:56 PM »
Lim attempts to bring to mind what he knows about Undrek Thoz and Bin'ath'kah ( k(Underdark) 17 + 11 = 28 and + 3 = 20 does he know any trustworthy contacts, rivals, allegiances, or dangers?). 

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »
As he thinks, Lim takes a sip  of his drink and lets his eyes wander around the room.  He absently tugs at a small silver pin on his lapel, the image of smiling cat embossed on its surface.

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
The smiling cat subtly winks at you.

One more thing. Lualnar says suddenly, as he hoists a black lizardskin pouch on the table. I know you have work to do before you leave. Think of it as a vacation bonus.

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »
Lim's eyes dart involuntarily to the pouch.  Uncharacteristically generous perhaps, he looks up to check the expression on his comrade's face, but who am I to refuse such a gift?  He reaches one hand above the table and wiggles his fingers greedily at the bag, casting a silent spell of detect magic (sleight of hand 20 + 1 = 21).

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 10:01:30 PM »
As you concentrate, you see it radiates a moderate aura of conjuration.

With a slight smirk on his lips, Lualnar says Why do you dawdle, Lim? You have jobs to finish for me.

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 11:27:11 AM »
Lim gives his friend a sidelong glance. One can't be too careful in our line of work. He reaches out and snaps up the bag, then weighs the contents in his hands.  Well!  I suppose this will get me by until I have to go meet the queen! he says with a wink.

wezylithyx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »
Yes, hopefully it shall. says Lualnar, still smirking, but then suddenly gets serious. Spend it wisely, you will need all the help you can get. I mean that.

The contents of the bag feel obscured, and you suspect it to be a bag of holding. It feels to weigh about 5 pounds.

Now Lim, I must be moving about my business. The screen spell will stay up as long as you need it.

I will be seeing you before you leave... don't forget to spend some time with that book, as well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:21:08 PM by wezylithyx »

minmax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 04:26:21 PM »
As you say!  Farewell, then.  Lim nods goodbye.  He contemplates his friend's warning and the supplies he should need.  And of course, the book.  All these warnings and precautions, this must be some quest!  Still, I wonder what Lualnar is hiding from me...