Author Topic: Disappointments in Gaming  (Read 963 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Disappointments in Gaming
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:51:24 AM »
I just took a trip down Arizona way to hang out with my cousins.  While I was trying to adapt to the AZ timezone and failing, I stayed up and played a couple of games they had for their 360, the notable one for this thread being Too Human.

The game just bugs me to hell.  Elemental enemies deal disgusting amounts of damage and are often harder 'n hell to kill from a distance.  If they have a ranged attack, then prepare to die.  A lot.  Dying is incredibly annoying, too; you go through this long 'cut scene' with the valkyrie taking you to heaven before you respawn and then your armor starts breaking and you lose all your combo meter, making you a really easy target for the enemies to kill again... You guys are smart, you should get the picture from there.

I couldn't help but draw comparisons between Too Human and Diablo II, and conclude that Diablo II does almost everything better.  When you think about how old Diablo II is, that's horribly, horribly sad.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Disappointments in Gaming
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:46 AM »
And to add insult to injury Too Human was in develoment for 14 years and originally started out as a PS1 game.

One game that really disappointed me a few years ago was Gun. It was supposed a sandbox-type of Western game that was developed by Neversoft, the same guys who did the old Tony Hawk games, and it had voicework of actors like Thomas Jane (The Punisher) and Kris Kristofferson. Sounds like it has everything it needs for a good-to-great game right.......wrong. The game was easily beaten in a few hours without any replay value, it only had a handful of side missions, and the world itself only had 2 small towns and it only took a few minutes to go from one side of the world to the other on horseback. The Wild West seemed a lot less epic in that game.

One of my dream games actually would be a GTA-style Western inspired by the Clint Eastwood Spagetti Westerns and his other works like The Outlaw Josey Wales and it pains me how this game ruined my dream.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »
Honestly, my biggest disappointment in gaming was Phantasy Star Online. I adored the old Phantasy Star games, they were fun, epic, worked well... And Online just felt awkward as hell and dull. The redone version for the GC was a little better, but still sadly lacking. (Universe is a giant step up, but still not as good as the old games.)

Second biggest, in all honesty, was Final Fantasy 12. I played about halfway through the game, and finally simply gave up. Perhaps one of the most boring games I've played. I kept waiting for the story to really start, and it just wasn't there. The gameplay also, overall, felt weaker than hell. Seriously, when I can simply turn on a couple gambits and set back and watch everything die, there's something wrong. And the cast was dull, annoying, or forgettable. And I should note, I love FF. Have for a long time.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »
Yeah I didn't like FF12 either, the game was uninteresting and I didn't like how it tried to emulate a MMORPG with its combat system.