Author Topic: Min/Max the librarian.  (Read 2459 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Min/Max the librarian.
« on: March 31, 2009, 02:47:11 AM »
Changeling Archivist (Not optimal, but I don't want to overpower everyone else, so I need all the help I can get in that respect). I'm using the rules that say 50gp per spell level to copy spells into a book, so I've got quite an expanded spell list. Link to the character is Here. I'm focusing on buff spells and selected debuffs and divine metamagic. Reach, Chain, etc, it's all good. I'll start with a Reach DMM Chained Greater Magic Weapon, a Reach DMM Chained Magic Vestment, a Persisted Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, some Extended Haste, as well as tossing some Evard's Black Tentacles, Grease, Radiant Assault... I'm mainly a buffbot/supporter with a very few direct damage spells, though I can dish it out when I need to. I also can fill in for a fighter in a pinch, so say if our Psychic Warrior dies, I'll just Divine Power/Righteous Might up and toss on a Righteous Wrath and an Aura of Vitality.

Any spells that I'm totally missing? I checked SpC domains, and Druid spells briefly. I am pretty sure that bite of the XXX are banned. No Geomancer shenanigans, not looking to get a character banned. Truth be told, I spent a lot of time on this girl.

The reason the wealth is so low is that this is a cohort, and the house rule for cohorts is that they enter with NPC wealth appropriate for their level and receive no extra treasure. I personally think that this is a wonderful idea. I'm approaching my 45k limit, so keep gear suggestions to substitutions and/or cheap stuff. I went to Bunko's Bargain Basement already, but it wouldn't hurt to check their for stuff I missed.

The stats are high because we do 28 1/1 point buy.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Min/Max the librarian.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:54:37 AM »
Name yourself Conan.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 03:11:06 AM »
Well, he said that it was a female character. I pity the woman who has to go through a childhood with the name 'Conan'.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:31:24 AM »
Conanette?

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »
Well, he said that it was a female character. I pity the woman who has to go through a childhood with the name 'Conan'.

It's just like A Boy Name Sue, sure it sucks for the character but you might be able to weasel improved unarmed strike out of the DM.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »
Making jokes in hopes that the DM will grant you free stuff is not Min/Maxing!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »
Hey leave the man they call Jayne out of this.

As to the cohort, it looks pretty good to me. The only spell i notice that is missing would be Polymorph. I'm sure some divine class has it even if it is in a domain.  If not then late game shapechange would be available, I know its on the druid list. But both of those work as pretty good utility/buffs for the other party member and when not abused the DM likely wouldn't mind.

also buy a light shield. Its a valid target for the magic vestments and you could hold your mace in that hand while casting then swap it back after. Her AC needs some help even with magic vestment she is in trouble if something targets the person making the party meaner.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
Hey leave the man they call Jayne out of this.

As to the cohort, it looks pretty good to me. The only spell i notice that is missing would be Polymorph. I'm sure some divine class has it even if it is in a domain.

Polymorph is in the Transmutation domain, which is only available to characters with the (Shapechanger) subtype without a deity. Given that wooden specified a Changeling Archivist, I think he was subconsciously optimizing.
You can just say the character picked up the spell from his/her cleric brother.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:45:03 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
You can just say the character picked up the spell from his/her cleric brother.
Who can be just about any race really :)

Heck, your father could be his/her mother :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:21:06 PM »
Backstory is that she comes from a long of Chaotic Neutral changelings, but they were bad parents, so she doesn't do the shapechangery very much. Where does one find the Transmutation domain?

Also note that the DM banned a druid I made already so I'm staying clear of polymorph crap. Transmutation domain does sound really really good, though, because all good buffs are transmutation.

Also note that the Time domain is motherfucking sweet.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »
Sir, I am offended.

All questions about locations of domains can and should be directed to the link in my signature.  :P

But if you're too lazy to look that up, it's in Races of Eberron. ;)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
The Transmutation domain is in Races of Eberron.

Note that Greater Magic Weapon doesn't need to be Reached.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »
Wow, duly noted. I'd forgotten that it didn't have to have a specified range. The advantage of reach, then, it to be able to reach chain persist certain touch spells.

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 04:54:46 PM »
Any reason prevent you from using Persist?

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »
Well, the thing is, Touch spells are non-persistable, but Reached spells have a fixed range, and therefore can be persisted first, then chained(and also persisted). Short range spells cannot be persisted, ever, but can be chained. I'm trying to get as many buffs up that last as long as possible. We have a party Psion who dispels stuff, so that's nice that she can help counterspell (might have difficulty with a few things I can think of, but it's very useful).

I can use Persist like 1 time per day, or even two, but reach/chain is probably better. So I can prepare a chained GMW and a Chained Magic Vestment, which last a few hours, Then I can persist, say, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »
If you want to break things, Ocular Spell turns any spell into a 60 foot ray. So anything is persistable.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
I actually do not want to break things, thanks.