Author Topic: Cleric/Prestige Pally advice/help sought.  (Read 3186 times)

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
Cleric/Prestige Pally advice/help sought.
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:59:19 AM »
I know you've seen this a million times (which would hopefully make helping it along reflexive and not too cumbersome a task). The frequency of this combination's appearance on the boards is most likely the reason I noticed it. I like it and it's exactly what my party needs. I have posted similar threads like this back on gleemax, but received little actual help (I also searched for it, and didn't find a whole lot).

Notes about what I have to work with:

Level: 10 (No planning ahead, none, don't.) I am starting at 10 and probably ending at 10.
Campaign: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Books: (which I cannot stray from) [spoiler]-Book of Exalted Deeds
-Complete:
  Champion
  Psionics
  Warrior
  Mage
  Scoundrel
  Divine
  Arcane
  Adventurer
-PHB I & II
-DMG uno y dos
-Libris Mortis
-Spell Compendium
-Draconomicon
-Dragon Magic
-Book of Vile Darkness
-Tome of Battle
-Savage Species
-MM 1,2,3,4
-Magic Item Compendium
-Unearthed Arcana
-Eberron Campaign Setting
-Magic of Inarcanum[/spoiler]
Weird: Whenever you roll a 1 on a melee strike, roll a d20, get below a 10 and you most likely fall.. (so prone attack, Lucky weapon, skill trick for stand up from prone will help and TWF will just make this more likely to be encountered)
Magic Items: Are rarely found and around +2 when it does happen. Ancestral Relic seems to be a good answer to this.

My rough outline:

Race:
-Human

Stats:(swap around as needed)
18 (+2 levels)

Classes:
Cleric 7/Prestige Paladin 3

(Human,1,3,6,9,Shaky, Meager Fortitude = 7):
-Extend Spell
-Persistant Spell  (Righteous Might and Lesser Vigor, Mass)
-Ancestral Relic (BoED) (+2 Holy, Lucky, Vicious, Keen, still have gold left, Falchion)
-Mounted Combat
-DMM: Persist
-Practiced Spellcaster (extra pool of healing, better chance to not get dispelled)
-Battle Blessing (swift casting Divine Sacrifice)
-Improved Toughness (or Extra Turning if Nightstick isn't allowed, or Powerattack since I'll have 2hander)

Domains:
-Undeath
-Competition (Divine Power and Righteous Might frees up 2 spells from my main pool)

Other:
-Pool of Healing Cleric Class Variant (CC)

Current Questions:
-Is there anyway to statically bump my caster level through either a +1 or +2 weapon enhancement or a domain? A spell perhaps?
-Anything seem amiss?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:46:56 PM by MFLABIAS »
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Cleric/Prestige Pally/Ordained Champ advice/help sought.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:16:30 AM »
Standard Gold? You'll want an animated shield if you can afford it

Try this:
Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 1/Ordained Champion 1/Prestige Paladin 1/Ordained Champion 4 (5 total).

Keep the Inquisition Domain or trade it for Knowledge Devotion if you have the Int for it.

Feats:
1)Mounted Combat
H)Persist Spell
F)DMM Persist Spell
F)Ancestral Relic (If you want it, I don't think it's essential)
3)Power Attack
6)Free
9)Free

Can you stack nightsticks? Take a couple if you can. If not, grab a couple Extra Turnings.  Persist Righteous Might and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (Spell Compendium). I just noticed you'll only have 4th level spells because OC loses 2. persist those when you get 5th level spells.
Oh, see how your DM feels about taking that feat that allows you to cast Paladin spells as a swift action... Battle Blessing?

Also consider Holy Warrior reserve feat and the Spontaneous Domain ability from PHB2.

PS: It's the planning domain that gets you extend spell. Undeath is for Extra Turning.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:18:45 AM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:27:28 AM »
I think Nobility gets you an Inspire Courage-like ability, so (if I'm correct) I'd recommend that as well, just for more giggles.  If you're hard up on another domain, then just take anything, as you're going to trade it away when you hit Ordained Champion anyway.  I don't think that Knowledge Devotion is going to be as strong in this build as it would be in others, as you're primarily in skill-poor classes, and you're going to want to have good ranks in Concentration at least, which kills 1/3 of your skill points (assuming no Int penalty or bonus).

Reliquary Holy Symbol will help with the turn attempts.  You'll probably also want Awesome Smite and Touch of Healing (unless you have another good source of healing).  ToH can wait until after you've started Ordained Champion, though.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:28:04 AM »
Seems like I could permanency two spells if I take undeath, have the 20 charisma which I plan on having, and get one night stick (limit 1). Righteous Might for sure, but then maybe something that will give me protection from Dispel or Divine Power.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 03:49:03 AM by MFLABIAS »
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Blade2718

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:09 AM »
Seems like I could permanency two spells if I take undeath, have the 20 charisma which I plan on having, and get one night stick (limit 1). Righteous Might for sure, but then maybe something that will give me protection from Dispel or Divine Power.
There was a weapon enhancement that would protect you from a spell that you cast on it.  It was called spellblade and I think it was in Magic of Faerun.  I saw a DMM: Persist Cleric use spellblade armor spikes to protect him from greater dispel magic.  Also, there's the ring of counterspells if you're that worried.  I'd just get an ankh of ascension and an orange ioun stone to boost caster level to make your spells hard to beat.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:35:10 AM »
Also, there's the ring of counterspells if you're that worried.  I'd just get an ankh of ascension and an orange ioun stone to boost caster level to make your spells hard to beat.

Low magic items. Dungeon crawling - no dark merchant even.

There was a weapon enhancement that would protect you from a spell that you cast on it.  It was called spellblade and I think it was in Magic of Faerun.  I saw a DMM: Persist Cleric use spellblade armor spikes to protect him from greater dispel magic.

That would be awesome, but I don't have that book.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Cleric/Prestige Pally advice/help sought.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 04:55:28 AM »

Since you say find magic items, I'm going to guess you can't buy items? Is this a low magic or low wealth world?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
Isn't he standard build for prestige pallies Cleric 3/ church inquisitor 4/ prestige pally 3/ Fist of Raziel 10?

then again that was before ordained champ came out...

Blade2718

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 02:29:35 PM »
Isn't he standard build for prestige pallies Cleric 3/ church inquisitor 4/ prestige pally 3/ Fist of Raziel 10?

Right.  FoR is really a 7-level class anyways, and Church Inquisitor doesn't have to go that deep, either.  Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 2/Ordained Champion 5/Prestige Paladin 3/Fist of Raziel 7.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 04:17:59 AM »
Since you say find magic items, I'm going to guess you can't buy items? Is this a low magic or low wealth world?

Sorry for the slow response, but it is a low wealth DM. He is so cautious about what he lets us do and generally doesn't want us to possess much in the way of magic items (outside of like +1 at 4th-5th level, +2 8th-12th, etc) because it isn't essential to a character's flavor/focus, unless, of course, it's their ancestral relic (or I'm hoping to argue that, at least). My three main items that I plan on arguing for are the Relic, a +2 Animated Large Steel Shield (which I'll offer to mearly use mundane Armor if I can get that), and a Nightstick.

Then again, DnD exists outside of e6 and level 20 builds.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
Of course, one advantage you have is that you don't necessarily need large bonuses on your armor and weapons; you can provide those yourself through Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon.  In that sense, the campaign setting you describe heavily favors a Cleric.   If you have any say in the items you start with, I'd shoot for things other than magic armor/weapons (at least beyond, say, +1 Animated for the shield.)

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »

+ 1 on animated shield, you can Magic Vestment it when you need to. I'd recommend not taking all 5 levels in Ordained  Champion to keep 5th level casting, but at least get the first level as its swapping ability is VERY powerful IIRC.

Build would look something Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 3/ PrC Paladin 3/ Ordained Champion 1

Start with Planning and Competition domains, since I don't think there's a LG deity that grants Undeath, and use Ord. Chp. power to switch out Competition and Inquisition domain's granted powers.

5th level casting, BAB +8 (might not even bother persisting Divine Power), turns as a 4th level character, auto-Will save vs. illusions & disguise, detect evil at will, divine mount and more bennies I can't recall right now.

At work so I'm working of memory and apologise for any mistakes. I'll post more later.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Blade2718

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 08:45:20 PM »

+ 1 on animated shield, you can Magic Vestment it when you need to. I'd recommend not taking all 5 levels in Ordained  Champion to keep 5th level casting, but at least get the first level as its swapping ability is VERY powerful IIRC.

Build would look something Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 3/ PrC Paladin 3/ Ordained Champion 1

Start with Planning and Competition domains, since I don't think there's a LG deity that grants Undeath, and use Ord. Chp. power to switch out Competition and Inquisition domain's granted powers.

5th level casting, BAB +8 (might not even bother persisting Divine Power), turns as a 4th level character, auto-Will save vs. illusions & disguise, detect evil at will, divine mount and more bennies I can't recall right now.

At work so I'm working of memory and apologise for any mistakes. I'll post more later.
If you're running a Ordained Champion without having to play through the early levels, I'd skip the Persistent route altogether; you have near-perfect BAB and you can spontaneously cast War spells, which includes righteous might.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »
Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 3/ PrC Paladin 3/ Ordained Champion 1
5th level spells

That's only 4th level spells, which Righteous Might/other 5's are a big deal here.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Blade2718

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »
So? Delay Ordained Champion and go for an extra Cleric level.  It helps your OC smite, anyway.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Level: 10 (No planning ahead, none, don't.) I am starting at 10 and probably ending at 10.

So that means Cleric for that level, then?
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD