Author Topic: Giving Feedback On What you want  (Read 8199 times)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Giving Feedback On What you want
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
This thread will collate Some of the questions we want to ask all of you.  Mostly, what Kind of stuff are you interested in

This is the first poll and then we will move on.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Giving Feedback On What you want
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »
I want more Min/Max 'sodes. Not because I need help that much, but because I like to hear the BG's takes on Min/Maxing.

chrisfixedkitty

• Monkey bussiness
  • childfree=intentional nonparent
    • The Adult Space Child Free Podcast
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »
While I also want more min/max and reviews as the come along, I'm a player.  I like the GM episodes, but player info is more directly useful to me right now.  That said, I mentioned that I wanted a childfree knitter game night to some knitting buddies, and that was greeted with enthusiasm. Um, maybe I'd better search the archives for a "what you should know before you start a new game as a new GM... warning! warning!" thread/episode...  :rollseyes
Chris the Fixed Kitty of The Adult Space Child Free Podcast, signing out.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »
Voted for GM advice, on the basis that I'm more GM than player at the moment.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »
Um, maybe I'd better search the archives for a "what you should know before you start a new game as a new GM... warning! warning!" thread/episode...  :rollseyes

That is a great idea!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Daz Florp Lebam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Hyperactive Balalaika
    • ArtLyonArt.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:25:01 AM »
I voted setting. For some reason the first thing i thought of when you mentioned this thread was "things you can learn from playing or running setting X and use in setting Y."

For instance, what can you learn from a Star Trek game where the PCs are the senior officers - including the captain? Doing that sort of game well requires (among other things, I'm sure) roleplaying the superior/inferior officer relationships without douchebaggery, accepting the power differential between the ranks in a way that's fun to play rather than annoying, utilizing the specialness of the senior officers' departments and expertise...I could probably go on. How could you apply those lessons, those necessities, to another genre...or even the trappings and assumptions and coolness of one setting or genre to another.

Even as I wrote that i caught myself phrasing it in a more generic way than I intended, so that it sounds less Trek-y and more "how to have a well-balanced group".

Anyway, that's what popped into my head. 'Cuz my head is like that.
I\'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:57:54 AM »
The more I run games for friends and their friends, the more I A) miss being a player and B) realize how many mistakes I make and things I ignore. There's always room to learn and make my games better, so I'm always looking for ideas and advice on that. Hence, I voted GM.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Dionysus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »
Yeah, i'm pretty much stuck in the "gm" role a lot.
I want more tips on getting players more immersed - I love making enjoyable games and want more tips on how to do it. Things like pacing, building excitement, making challenges etc.

Daz Florp Lebam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Hyperactive Balalaika
    • ArtLyonArt.com
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
What do oyu do with players who only participate if there's something !!!AWESOME!!! going on, and are otherwise on their laptop doing who knows what. We have a player in our group like this. Nice guy, but he's very quiet. He opened up last week when there were fewer players, but that session was mostly combat.
I\'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
You know, that would be good to explore from both a GM and a player side.  I do that a lot :(
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Daz Florp Lebam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Hyperactive Balalaika
    • ArtLyonArt.com
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
You know, that would be good to explore from both a GM and a player side.  I do that a lot :(

Shame on you! Of course, I don't own a working laptop or any hand-held devices other than a basic cell phone, so I can't speak to those kinds of distractions.

The standard advice here is to prohibit laptops from the game table, but more and more people seem to like to have their character sheets and gule book PDFs on their laptop or even on things like iPhones, this doesn't seem like a tenable solution anymore.
I\'M CAPTAIN KIRK!!!!!

chrisfixedkitty

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »
otherwise on their laptop doing who knows what.

I'm halfway between Silicon Valley and San Francisco.  Half the people at the table have to deal with Twitter for work on the weekends, and sometimes this gets annoying when Bad Things happen in the real world.  I suppose you and the other players could talk to the player's character more in the not-tremendous moments and pull them into interacting?  Maybe feed more story hooks their way?

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 07:00:32 PM »
The standard advice here is to prohibit laptops from the game table, but more and more people seem to like to have their character sheets and gule book PDFs on their laptop or even on things like iPhones, this doesn't seem like a tenable solution anymore.
Oh please no! Some groups I'm in would never accomplish anything without my laptop.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »
They're too handy these days.

The trick is to have the game in a Faraday's Cage. Laid down by the host while nobody's watching between games. In the gaming room.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

chrisfixedkitty

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »
I've searched the boards and found tidbits on this here and there, but the bridge between being a player and starting to DM or co-DM isn't covered in much detail.  I'd like to hear the Brilliant Gameologist take on this transition and skills/knowledge that you may not need as a player that were essential as a DM.  Also, when should you NOT step up to that particular plate?
CF

Perry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »

I'd like to hear more about how structures of different games create opportunities for different interactions and modes of engagement among players.  Or, in a critical sense, how systems may fail in these goals.  I'd say that, unlike many gamer pundits who explore "theory" and seem to fall into distracting lapses of physics-envy, the Gameologists are at their unique best when they discuss game systems comparatively and with an eye to deep structure, much the same way that textual links are often explored in Comparative Literature. 

Also, I like the dick jokes.

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 01:44:48 PM »
Min-max, because they're really technical, and I love technical stuff.

If you could make other episodes technical, that's fine, too.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
Systems because there has got to be some great systems out there to which I have not been exposed.  Things that might be better than say D&D 3.5/4.0 for fantasy or others even for different genres. 

I recall some games being mentioned in various sodes in regards to best supporting it's goal... Gumshoe for mystery comes to mind.

Some info on basic mechanics of various systems would be some nice crunch.
Placeholder - T'tosc

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »
I voted setting, but I like GM episodes just as well... especially when they are GM advice about constructing a well-planned setting.  Yeah...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread