Author Topic: RPG Review Videos  (Read 1342 times)

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
RPG Review Videos
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »
I recently discovered a YouTube channel that reviews tabletop RPG books. The host has already inspired me to try and pick up Savage Worlds and BRP. My wife wants to block his channel. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/pugknowspro

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Re: RPG Review Videos
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:52:46 PM »
I checked out a few reviews:

He is a cheerleader, not a reviewer. 

I though at first that he is as dumb as a box of hammers.  And don't get me wrong, he is not a bright guy.

But The problem is that he is an old school close-minded gamer. 

That is not a problem "as" a gamer, but that in combination with being a cheerleader makes him nearly useless as a reviewer.

He has almost no understanding of system he dwells on the insignificant and ignores the important.(FATE)   

and he gets details beyond those written in the book, wrong.  (example blue planet he gets the concept of science fiction wrong)

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Tetsubo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
Well, I've enjoyed every one of his videos. he has inspired my interest in a number of game system that I never considered in the past. Including the WoD system. Which I have hated since the first Werewolf game was released.

With the exception of his 4E review, he doesn't do negative reviews. So I can see your point of view about him being a bit of a cheerleader.

And you can't really blame him for having a negative opinion about 4E.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »
Well, I've enjoyed every one of his videos. he has inspired my interest in a number of game system that I never considered in the past. Including the WoD system. Which I have hated since the first Werewolf game was released.

With the exception of his 4E review, he doesn't do negative reviews. So I can see your point of view about him being a bit of a cheerleader.

And you can't really blame him for having a negative opinion about 4E.

I don't blame him for having a negative opinion of any game at all.  I don't blame him for having a positive one either. 

The primary purpose of a review is to either inform you of a game you might be interested in or warn you about a game you might not be interested in.  The problem is when a reviewer gives a gives only personal subjective opinions in one direction with no explanation.  Unless you happen to be him the reviews are not reviews, they are ads.

And don't get me wrong.  Ads can be useful, but they are not reviews.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009