Author Topic: What languages do you speak?  (Read 21342 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: What languages do you speak?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 04:55:11 PM »
Any part.

Handy Links

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »
There are foreign language programs around here, but it's highly discouraged for being unpatriotic.

I have to disagree with the Count here. While I view being unable to speak passably in the native tongue of a country in which you live in a very bad light, being able to speak that language plus others is excellent, and not unpatriotic at all. I know very few people, if any, who hold that knowing another language is unpatriotic. I know many who hold that being unwilling to speak the native tongue of a country which you live in is unpatriotic.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »
I'm a native English speaker.

I took 5 years of Latin, which I can't really 'speak', but which allows me to puzzle out French, Spanish, and Portuguese enough for comprehension if it's written down or if the person talking to me is willing to speak VERY SLOWLY.

I can tell someone 'I do not speak Spanish', 'I speak very little French, badly', and 'I do not speak German' in those respective languages.

I can say 'good bye' in Russian.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »
There are foreign language programs around here, but it's highly discouraged for being unpatriotic.

I have to disagree with the Count here.

You live in the Shenandoah valley?

If not, then you're not qualified to disagree with anything I have to say about living here.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 11:28:19 PM »
Fluent in American English and LoLcat.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 12:42:35 AM »
very few people around here know english very well... and its all most of the speak.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »

If not, then you're not qualified to disagree with anything I have to say about living here.

Holy crap, they have computers in West Virginia now?!  ;)

What I'm wondering is why you allow the opinions of such stereotypically unintelligent cretins to influence your behaviour.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 01:53:38 AM »
Well, I know stuff down in the States can get quite weird sometime, but wow.....

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 07:06:56 AM »

Holy crap, they have computers in West Virginia now?!  ;)

What I'm wondering is why you allow the opinions of such stereotypically unintelligent cretins to influence your behaviour.

Because you have to live next to said cretins and anything that keeps them off your back thereby preventing you from murdering them is a good thing.

It's not just West Virginia.  I live in central Ohio and if you speak anything but english here the locals think you're a terrorist, a homosexual, or some sort of liberal deviant who needs killing before you can reproduce.   I have no idea what the hell their reasoning is because quite frankly I'm not sure my sanity can survive having that conversation...

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 08:25:27 AM »
Because you have to live next to said cretins and anything that keeps them off your back thereby preventing you from murdering them is a good thing.

It's not just West Virginia.  I live in central Ohio and if you speak anything but english here the locals think you're a terrorist, a homosexual, or some sort of liberal deviant who needs killing before you can reproduce.   I have no idea what the hell their reasoning is because quite frankly I'm not sure my sanity can survive having that conversation...

Just to fuck with 'em, start calling them "anti-American" before they get a chance to say it!  ;)
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »

Just to fuck with 'em, start calling them "anti-American" before they get a chance to say it!  ;)

While walking around in a rainbow-shirt, listening to arabian music...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »
My native tongue is Dutch. I speak English and French, and I can read German. I can also read & write Greek and Latin, but hardly speak it. With some imagination, I can read hieroglyphs. ;)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »

Dude, they think I'm weird enough now...

Granted I keep enhancing that view cause it makes them keep a moderate distance...

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

Off topic - I was thinking about dressing as Hitler Jesus for Halloween, but I live in the middle of the Bible Belt so I figured it'd be a bad idea.

On Topic - Maybe I should, and speak Spanish (poorly) while I do so.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »

Off topic - I was thinking about dressing as Hitler Jesus for Halloween, but I live in the middle of the Bible Belt so I figured it'd be a bad idea.

On Topic - Maybe I should, and speak Spanish (poorly) while I do so.
Do eet! And after you're done, upload pics of how you're burned at the stake. ;)
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »
Como se dice "Get in the shower, mijo" en espanol?

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »
Como se dice "Get in the shower, mijo" en espanol?
"Entra en la ducha, [what the hell is a mijo?]", off the top of my head.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »
Ah, mijo IS Spanish, lol.  Might be spelling it wrong, but I was under the impression it's a term of endearment for a man/boy.  Sort of like "son", but can be used in a variety of ways.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Ah, mijo IS Spanish, lol.  Might be spelling it wrong, but I was under the impression it's a term of endearment for a man/boy.  Sort of like "son", but can be used in a variety of ways.
Mijo comes up in leo.org as "millet". The only word that comes to mind that sounds similar to mijo is hijo, which literally means son.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2009, 06:36:16 PM »
My sister used to watch The Brothers Garcia - I can remember the parents using words which sounded like "miho" and "miha" for their sons and daughter.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]