Author Topic: Heroic Origins: Rules Discussion  (Read 7635 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Heroic Origins: Rules Discussion
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:06:47 AM »
The purpose of this thread is to keep out of game rules discussion/debates out of the Game Threads.

Should an issue with a rule come up, this will be the thread for discussing that ruling.

Houserules
  • Banned Spells: Shun the Dark Chaos, Embrace the Dark Chaos, Wish, Shapechange, Celerity, Time Stop, Polymorph Any Object, Gate, Astral Projection
  • Use Fractional BAB & Saves, as outlined in Unearthed Arcana
  • Player's die at -10 or -Con, whichever is most beneficial at the time.
  • Max HP for levels 1 & 2; average afterwards.
  • Everyone gains Able learner or Open Minded as a bonus feat

• Disjunction exists. It does not destroy magic items; rather, it renders them inert and nonmagical for 1 hour.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:10:44 PM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Heroic Origins: Rules Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »
I have realised that since the changeling's shapechanging ability does not affect possessions, and Vow of Poverty won't let me buy outfits or props, my character is at a disadvantage when it comes to disguise. Could the restrictions on the Vow be waived for nonmagical clothing, my character be given an ability that changes his clothing, or a hat of disguise allowed?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
I have realised that since the changeling's shapechanging ability does not affect possessions, and Vow of Poverty won't let me buy outfits or props, my character is at a disadvantage when it comes to disguise. Could the restrictions on the Vow be waived for nonmagical clothing, my character be given an ability that changes his clothing, or a hat of disguise allowed?
The hat is clearly a no.  I think the changeling ability should stay (although I'd listen to a counter argument) as is because they made it a point it does not affect clothing... I don't see the problem with havine a couple different sets of clothing, although none of them would be in nice condition, you must be aware. I'll limit it to 4 sets of clothing, not costing more than 2 gold each. So 4 sets of clothing for variation... How's that sound?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »
The hat is clearly a no.  I think the changeling ability should stay (although I'd listen to a counter argument) as is because they made it a point it does not affect clothing... I don't see the problem with havine a couple different sets of clothing, although none of them would be in nice condition, you must be aware. I'll limit it to 4 sets of clothing, not costing more than 2 gold each. So 4 sets of clothing for variation... How's that sound?
The problem arises when you want to impersonate a specific person. It would be simple enough for a normal character to copy their outfit, but I'm screwed without a seeming or veil spell (levels 5 and 6 respectively). You could always steal their clothes, but this would not work in every situation and would press "exalted" to breaking point. Also, a changeling without Vow of Poverty has a practically unbeatable disguise with a hat of disguise.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
Disguise Self is a first level spell that can cover this specific person, no? Seems a simple answer to the issue. Touch. 10min/L. Good stuff, no?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »
Disguise Self is a first level spell that can cover this specific person, no? Seems a simple answer to the issue. Touch. 10min/L. Good stuff, no?
*cough*
My work

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »
Are you not going arcane next level?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:34:27 AM »
If nothing else I can always bluff, diplomacy, or beg for new sets of clothing for you to borrow.  :love

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
Are you not going arcane next level?
Well, I wasn't... maybe I could take a level of sorcerer, but I want to get into warshaper early, so I can take ranks in Disguise and qualify for cabinet trickster. A sorcerer level would have to come later in the build, by which point the alternatives are available.
My work

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 07:54:20 PM »
Ah, well the disguise skill can be used to mimic clothing of another person.

Would that work?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »
Ah, well the disguise skill can be used to mimic clothing of another person.

Would that work?
'kay. Now, I want to ask if Ability Focus (Touch of Golden Ice) counts as an exalted feat, since it boosts an exalted ability. Likewise, can I apply the Virulent Poison (SS) feat to a ravage?
My work

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »
Now, I want to ask if Ability Focus (Touch of Golden Ice) counts as an exalted feat, since it boosts an exalted ability. Likewise, can I apply the Virulent Poison (SS) feat to a ravage?
I'm not sure about Ability Focus... I'll have to think on that one and get back to you. Is that your key reasoning, that it boosts an exalted feat so it should be exalted?

On the Virulent Poison feat, I have to say no because the requirement is to have one as an Ex Ability and Ravages are specifically Su in nature.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »
Now, I want to ask if Ability Focus (Touch of Golden Ice) counts as an exalted feat, since it boosts an exalted ability. Likewise, can I apply the Virulent Poison (SS) feat to a ravage?
I'm not sure about Ability Focus... I'll have to think on that one and get back to you. Is that your key reasoning, that it boosts an exalted feat so it should be exalted?
Pretty much. Should I try justifying the Shape Soulmeld feat as an exalted feat while I'm at it? :wink
[spoiler]Soulmelds are tied to your alignment, so if you are good-aligned, your soulmelds are made out of good energy. This means that Shape Soulmeld is an inherently "good" feat for a good character. An exalted feat is an inherently good feat.[/spoiler]
My work

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
I'm gonna nix the soulmelds. :P There's an inherent difference between good and exalted like there's a difference between LG fighters and LG paladins :wink

I'll get back to you on Ability Focus though It can only be taken once, and there really arent that many decent exalted feats... I'm okay with Ability Focus (Touch of Golden Ice) as an exalted feat.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:02:43 PM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
I'd actually like to propose a modification to the Able Learner houserule.

Every character gets either Able Learner or Open Minded. This way multiclassers still get more extra skill ranks from Able Learner, but those of us taking pretty much solely skills that are class skills anyway get a bit of a boost as well.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
I'll let the masses speak. Same as all the other houserules, if it gets 4 votes, it's in. :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 01:36:39 PM »
I've taken one in each monster identifying knowledge skill, and i plan investing in autohypnosis with Able Learner, but open minded is not bad at all. Actually that's a nice house rule. From now on i'll let my players choose between the two. I already give them monkey grip as a bonus feat ^-^
I'm in if we can choose between the two.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 03:44:42 PM »
Aye, I'll vote for that.

BoSheck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 04:37:37 PM »
I'll vote for that.  I won't be changing though--it seems fair.

Hey, quick question:  I'm going to be dipping into Hierophant to get divine reach.  I can then use chain spell on my 'reach' spells, correct?  Otherwise I won't be taking the dip, which is fine.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »
I'll vote for that.  I won't be changing though--it seems fair.
That makes 4. It's settled :P

Hey, quick question:  I'm going to be dipping into Hierophant to get divine reach.  I can then use chain spell on my 'reach' spells, correct?  Otherwise I won't be taking the dip, which is fine.
I'm currently running on 48 hours awake without sleep, so I'm going to hold off on making any judgment calls, but I'm assuming this is a gray area since you're asking. Probably a safe bet to just go ahead and throw your reasoning up. I'll check it all out after I've slept :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook