Author Topic: Samurai Poll  (Read 95278 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Samurai Poll
« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2010, 09:39:28 PM »
Minor updates to Ashigaru and Teppo-Ka

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2010, 11:19:03 PM »
Edited the Military Training Feats for Samurai and Ashigaru, and the Teppo-Ka has it's first set of class abilities.

I'm assuming the Japanese had cannonry, anyone know much about it?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #242 on: March 10, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »
Does the superior aim ability for the Teppo-Ka seem to weak?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
As a way of solving some of the current iffiness with Ki abilities, would it help if I put level prerequisites on them?   For example the first ability in the tree can be taken at any level, but the next two in the chain require you to be a certain level before taking them?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2010, 06:55:37 AM »
As a way of solving some of the current iffiness with Ki abilities, would it help if I put level prerequisites on them?   For example the first ability in the tree can be taken at any level, but the next two in the chain require you to be a certain level before taking them?
Doesn't sound like it could hurt. Might include a feat that allows you to bypass this for a single group of ki abilities, called Sword-arts Prodigy or somesuch.

As for the Teppo-Ka... I'm not as proficient with ranged guys, but the idea could work well if it's ever odd numbered level. It's a great idea for ranged heroes, but just three dice increases seems too insignificant... I'd normally say four, but you could make it evened out and make it five over nine levels.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »
I added a critical multiplier as opposed to more dice.  I also have the SNiper ability done, so I just need a capstone.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:38 AM »
Teppo-Ka now has capstone (and it's a brutal one)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2010, 11:34:15 PM »
AHAHAHA! YEEEEEESH!  :evillaugh

That's a sick-as-fuck capstone! Makes those features a lot more useful, if only we can find a good way of adding SS/SA to a build like this...

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:50 AM »
Teppo-Ka seems odd. It's 10th level class feature completely invalidates its 9th level feature.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »

That's a sick-as-fuck capstone! Makes those features a lot more useful, if only we can find a good way of adding SS/SA to a build like this...

SS/SA?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2010, 01:48:59 AM »

SS/SA?
Sudden Strike/Sneak Attack.

And I suppose it's an abrupt range change for a single level, didn't see that 9th level ability. Hrm...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2010, 02:02:24 AM »
Peek at the Ashigaru's Ki abilities.  They can use them to get SS/SA

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #252 on: March 20, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »
BACKUP ARCHER

"Death is like an arrow that is already in flight, and your life lasts only until it reaches you."

A Teppo-Ka initially has some problems.  It might be quicker and easier to learn a rifle than a bow, but the rifle loads a lot slower and has some issues.  Hence the position of Backup Archers: groups of bowmen providing cover for the Teppo-Ka as he reloads his weapon.

BECOMING A BACKUP ARCHER
Any Ashigaru sufficiently skilled with the bow will likely be asked to become a Backup Archer at some point.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Skills:  Knowledge (War) 6 ranks, Spot 8 ranks
   Feats:  Combat Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot
   BAB:  +6
   Ki Abilities:  Improved Point Blank Shot, Greater Precise Shot

Class Skills
 The Backup Archer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography, Local, Nobility & Royalty, War)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Code: [Select]
[b]   BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities[/b]
1. +1    +2     +2     +0    Rapid Shot, Ki Pool
2. +2    +3     +3     +0    Shot of Opportunity
3. +3    +3     +3     +1    Precision
4. +4    +4     +4     +1    Rapid Shot
5. +5    +4     +4     +1    Shot of Opportunity
6. +6    +5     +5     +2    Precision
7. +7    +5     +5     +2    Rapid Shot
8. +8    +6     +6     +2    Shot of Opportunity
9. +9    +6     +6     +3    Precision
10.+10   +7     +7     +3    Master Archer

Weapon Proficiencies: A Backup Archer gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Ki Pool: The Backup Archer's class levels stack with his Ashigaru levels for purposes of determining how many times per day he can use his Ki Pool and for how many Ki Abilities he has learned. The Backup Archer also gains access to several Ki abilities not open to the Ashigaru (which will be detailed below).

Rapid Shot (Ex): At 1st level if you may Ready an Action to do double damage against a charging foe with a bow in addition to normal weapons that qualify.

At 3rd level if you attack an opponent who is Flat-Footed or Denied his Dexterity Bonus to AC and hit successfully you automatically threaten a critical. 

At 6th level you may make iterative attacks with a bow like you would with a normal melee weapon.

Shot of Opportunity (Ex): At second level if you have a bow in hand, opponents provoke Attacks of Opportunity as if it were a melee weapon (meaning you can fire on them as an AoO).  If you do this you still provoke an Attack of Opportunity from them as you are using a Ranged Weapon.

At 5th level the range at which an opponent can provoke an Attack of Opportunity from your bow is 10'.  He only gets his Attack of Opportunity now if he has the appropriate Reach.

At 8th level the range increases to 15', and you no longer provoke an Attack of Opportunity for using the bow in this manner.

Precision (Ex): At 3rd level you begin to gain an almost supernatural aim with your bow of choice.  You gain Improved Precise Shot as  a Bonus Feat whether you meet the prerequisites or not.

At 6th level you may ignore up to x points of Armor or Natural Armor Bonus, where x equals your Backup Archer Level.  For example if a 6th level Backup Archer fired on a Troll it could completely ignore his Natural Armor Bonus of +5.  If it fired on a Troll Hunter (See MM page 247) it could ignore the +6 Natural Armor Bonus or the +5 Armor Bonus, but not both. 

At 9th level if your opponent is within 30' your Ranged attacks with your bow are considered touch attacks.

Master Archer (Ex): At 10th level all Ranged Attacks made with your bow threaten a critical on a natural 18-20 (This does not stack with other spells or effects that increase critical threat range).  The range you may make touch attacks with your bow is increased to 60'.

PLAYING A BACKUP ARCHER
 Your goal is to protect the artillery and gunfighters on your side, and incidentally to wreak as much havoc on the opposing sides infantry/cavalry as you can.  Since you provide cover fire, you'll be excelling at sending out arrows as fast as possible as opposed to taking careful aim.  Well usually anyway.  You're still professional enough to take a shot if you can off someone important by doing so.
 Combat: Initially your purpose is to help fire massive volleys of arrows at charging infantry and cavalry to devastate them.  At some point this changes to you protecting the Teppo-Ka while he reloads to fire another volley.  Speed at loosing arrows will have to be your forte.
 Advancement: Much like any Ashigaru, your advancement depends largely on the whims of your Lord.  Although in your case he'll probably want you to simply excel at archery.
Resources: Like the rest of the Ashigaru you are a professional military man, and can be equipped as your Lord desires.  Your fortunes are pretty much linked to his.

BACKUP ARCHERS IN THE WORLD
"Use your head, or somebody else might."
 You are treated much like any other professional soldier.  You earn perhaps a bit less personal glory as you have not single handedly felled foes in a sword fight, but there are those who realize without your contributions the war effort would fail.
 Daily Life: You spend your time drilling with the Teppo-Ka and the other archers preparing for war.  Occasionally your Lord may have a mission for you, but if not you perform your regular job while keeping up your military training.
 Notables:
 Organizations: All Backup Archers belong to their Lord, much like any other Ashigaru.  His household is the only organization they are supposed to belong to.

NPC Reaction
 As you spend more time training with a bow than a sword people feel more comfortable around you since they erroneously believe you are less likely to cause problems.  It's kind of believed you have no skill at melee fighting. 

BACKUP ARCHERS IN THE GAME
 This class assumes (like all Ashigaru PrC's) that you are a military man, and can be called up forcefully at any time.  Work with the DM on this so it doesn't disrupt things (after all being the servant of a feudal warlord does saddle you with baggage, like extra enemies).
 Adaptation: This is probably best for more serious campaigns given it's nature as a military class.
 Encounters: Backup Archers are generally only really encountered in times of war.  They do other things during peace time, so it's entirely possible to be working among them and not know it.

Sample Encounter
EL 12: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
LN Human Male Ashigaru 6/Backup Archer 6
Init +4, Senses: Listen +5, Spot +9
Languages Common
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   (+4 Dex, )
hp 78 (12 HD)
Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +5 
------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee
Base Atk +12, Grp +14
Atk Options Blinding Strike, Nauseating Blow
Combat Gear
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
SQ Ki Pool 12/day,
Feats Far Shot, Rapid Shot, 4, Combat Reflexes (B), Formation Expert (B), Improved Precise Shot (B), Precise Shot (B)
Skills Climb +6, Concentration +9, Hide +8, Knowledge (Local, Nobility, War) +6, Listen +5, Move Silently +8, Search +6, Spot +9, Survival +5
Possessions

EPIC BACKUP ARCHER

Hit Die: d8
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int
Bonus Feats: The Epic Backup Archer gains a Bonus Feat every 2 levels higher than 20th
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:27:20 AM by bhu »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #253 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »
Archer slightly updated.

Did Ashgaru use the Yumi shortbow or the Daikyu longbow primarily?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2010, 02:18:27 AM »
Backup Archer just needs abilities, Ashigaru and Samurai have a new Ki ability.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2010, 03:01:24 AM »
So how does the Shot of Opportunity ability seem so far?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: March 27, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »
So how does the Shot of Opportunity ability seem so far?

To be honest... I don't understand it much.

At second level if you have a bow in hand, and an opponent would provoke an Attack of Opportunity if you had a melee weapon in hand...

Is this right? Isn't it "if the opponent has a melee weapon in hand"?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2010, 12:49:12 AM »
I think it is more "you can make attacks of opportunity at melee range with a bow (however, you still provoke an AoO for using a ranged weapon at close range)."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2010, 02:24:59 AM »
Yup.  I shall edit the text.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »
I think it is more "you can make attacks of opportunity at melee range with a bow (however, you still provoke an AoO for using a ranged weapon at close range)."
I just had this amusing mental image of two blokes with bows and combat reflexes making "AoO against your AoO".
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."