Author Topic: Samurai Poll  (Read 95287 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Samurai Poll
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
Thanks risada!

Flick of the Wrist can only be used with Light Weapons, so that leaves out Katanas  :(

Change it?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2009, 10:33:43 AM »
Thanks risada!

Flick of the Wrist can only be used with Light Weapons, so that leaves out Katanas  :(

Change it?

Im thinking of working it into the Ki abilities.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2009, 09:44:12 AM »
Ono-ha Itto Ryu is described as a form of swordsmanship for killing the opponent with one stroke, that strives for simplicity in actions and movements, and is uninterested in anything but technical swordsmanship (i.e. it didnt seek religious or spiritual meanings in kenjutsu).  Modern Kendo is heavily influenced by it.

http://www.tokumeikan.com/ono-ha_itto_ryu.htm

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=370

How about the 3 feats give him the ability to avoid being flat footed, focusing on acting without actually thinking.  SOme sort of auto defense basically.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2009, 06:01:15 PM »
Seeing as the class gets no form of uncanny dodge (evasion, as it's done for DnD, doesn't quite seem to suit the class, but uncanny dodge could be worked into this as it's a dueling style...), it might be a nice touch to give something superficially similar to it, maybe as the advanced feat, just so people can't cherry pick it as a feat. Alternatively, make it the base feat, but make it so it's harder to take a second style.

As for the mastery of Itto Ryu, maybe something that "allows you to make a singular, powerful attack, showing full control over the blade and mastery of the form itself" in flavor, basically FF/touch attack against a foe, or perhaps an improved version of the quick cut. I still think the feat reqs should include a level limit, so you can't take more than MAYBE two mastery feats if you're clever. I think mastery of three styles might be a PrC akin to the Master of Nine, but not every samurai should be easily capable of it. But should it be a skill/BAB limit, or like the old monk-style feats just a great number of feats needed as prereqs? Perhaps it could be more like, Itto Ryu's mastery has a pre-req of Imposing Strike plus the two feats before it, plus power attack and power critical, and the effect is that you may treat one attack on one opponent for one round every round equal to your level/6 (wow, poorly worded) that is demoralized by your imposing presence as though it had a x4 base critical multiplier. Sort of the cliche of "one-hit, one kill."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2009, 12:40:39 AM »
Imposing Strike?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2009, 03:17:13 AM »
Imposing Strike?
Level 12's Imposing Presence ability. I was trying to lock it down via class features and level, that's just a rough idea.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
The Mastery Feats were going to be Epic Feats unless you'd rather I didn't.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »
Hm, that actually sounds a lot better...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »
My thoughts:

4th level feat: you may attack normally during surprise round, but still dont have your Dex Bonus to AC

13th level feat: add to damage with successful concentration check

epic feat: one hit, one kill (the increased critical multiplier thingie)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2009, 07:25:39 AM »
Got the prerequisites for the initial Feat up.  Still thinking on the others.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2009, 07:00:26 AM »
Ono-ha Itto Ryu Feats done.  let me know your thoughts as usual.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagy%C5%AB_Shinkage-ry%C5%AB
http://en.allexperts.com/e/y/ya/yagyu_shinkage-ryu.htm

Yagyu seems to use the ability to throw a sword, and to use more mobile techniques due to wearing lighter armor.  It also adopts the attitude of winning at any cost, and adapting to you opponent. 

Im thinking one Feat for some sort of sacrfice strike, one for adapting to the opponent and one for throwing the sword. 

It also teaches more weapons than the sword so maybe one of the feats allows the use of Feats like weapon Focus (Katana) the samurai may have to be used with Yagyu weapons.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2009, 09:19:41 AM »
Yagyu feats are up

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2009, 01:15:06 AM »
Yagyu Style:
[spoiler]
Quote from: bhu
Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
Winning must come at any cost.
 Prerequisites: BAB +4, Power Attack, Must be proficient with the following weapons: Katana, Wakizashi, Bo Staff, and Shuriken.
 Benefits: Whenever you perform a Power Attack, you gain a Bonus on Critical Confirmation rolls equal to the penalty you took for the Power Attack Feat.
Hella!

(Translation note: Means really good, love it, keep it. Sidenote: Probably among the best abilities this school gets; take that as you will)
Advanced Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
One must learn to adapt to and anticipate ones opponent to be a truly great fighter.
 Prerequisites: BAB +12, Combat Expertise, Combat Intuition, Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
 Benefits: The Bonus to attack rolls you get from your Combat Intuition feat increases to +2, and it also applies to damage rolls.  Also, you gain a +2 Circumstance Bonus against any opponent who has missed you at least once in an encounter for the duration of that encounter.
Hmm, good as well.....
Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Mastery
You have learned to surprise opponents by throwing your sword like a spear.
 Prerequisites: BAB +24, Advanced Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Brutal Throw, Power Throw
 Benefits:  You may use any sword you are proficient with as a ranged attack weapon with a Range Increment of 10.  In addition, any weapon specific Feats (such as Weapon Focus, Improved Critical,etc.) that you can use with your Katana may also be used with your Wakizashi and the Bo Staff.
Potentially wicked, but do you really think it's strong enough to warrant it being an epic level feat? I ask honestly because I have never played epic and cannot fathom what the growth is (I only know the difference in 9th level spells and the ridiculous epic/10th level spells, and THAT is quite a jump). Personally, I'd switch this and the advanced benefits, and make the advanced (now mastery) bonuses maybe +4 or even +6 to compensate.

I think it's great ideas that maybe just need to be shuffled/re-prioritized. Just doesn't seem to match the benefits of mastering Itto Ryu. But the throwing sword thing is a great mid-level ability, if you think it could be switched around.
[/spoiler]
Kashima Shinto-ryu
[spoiler]Alright, here's where I'm still researching. Getting through armor could be something along the lines of a tactical touch attack, no problem no issue pretty close. Seems bland though, considering you can do that w/ ToB and going diamond mind for a few levels, but something similar might be nice.

I was thinking some way of scaling an effectively sneak attack similar ability with level for a mastery or advanced feat, but can't think of a way of doing it that doesn't bite into other classes/kinda de-rails from the samurai class in general. So instead, I was thinking bonuses against an armored opponent, or a way to give opponents wearing armor penalties that climb per getting hit with the first-tier feat. Kind of akin to how blood in the water stance grants climbing bonuses per crit you score, y'see? Alternatively, this could be a bonus that somehow scales higher as you progress in level that is effective against armored foes, or higher power attack bonuses against armored foes (which in turn could be a good advanced or basic feat). [/spoiler]
Other Note:
[spoiler]Once done, I think pbp needs a serious medieval japan campaign, low-magic low-ToB (I'm looking at you, ninja fixes!), and thus will playtest these guys.[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2009, 09:26:35 AM »
Epic Feats vary in power wildly.  I dont even bother to consult them when making new ones.  I do agree it needs a lil something though...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
http://www.koryu.com/library/mskoss3.html

Kashima Shinto Ryu relies on hitting gaps and weak points in an opponents armor, and using atemi (hitting weak points to stun, injure, or immobilize opponents) by hitting them with a weapons haft or butt.  They also teach fighting with spears, staves, hooked spears, tanto, shuriken, stickfighting, unarmed combat,  and polearms.  They would also likely have some abilities with Balance checks and movement, mounted combat, surprise attacks.

Im thinking the 1st feat could be some sort of butt strike allowing you to use stunning fist and similar feats with the weapon

the second would be the atemi or weak point hitting

and the mastery feat could be some sort of ability to ignore armor bonuses.

I also edited the Mastery Feat for Yagyu.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:47:32 AM by bhu »

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2009, 05:32:12 PM »
Yeeeep, that looks a good bit better. Though of course we dunno the k abilities, I trust that'll do it some justice. About those; thinking things superficially similar to the CA ninja's abilities? Like, spend a point, get a spell effect?

Anywho, back to what I'm (basically) good for, in response to your message the Itto ryu feats are fine, as far as I'm concerned. I can see it's 1-hit mastery ability being appealing to anyone wanting to do a "duelist" samurai that is found abundantly in anime, so probably best to leave it as mechanically un-boinked as it is. Yagyu mastery looks better now, and the other abilities looked fine to start with.

As for Kashima (and that's an awesome site, btw), stunning fist is a good thought, but since it isn't very easy to enter; a samurai would have to take IUS early then take stunning fist as a level 9 feat, which if the FIRST school feat benefits from stunning fist doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, I suppose the samurai could take a level of monk, but samurai did learn to fight unarmed without breaking from their training. So you might think of making the weak-point strike earlier (though Iono bout the balance of that...) so that the stunning fist-boosting level of school mastery could actually, y'know, happen on a single classes guy, or alternatively re-write stuning fist so instead of having it a separate feat to the school feat, make it a superficially similar feat that gets the extra uses/day like a monk would with the original feat, but that works for a samurai instead. If you did it that way, it'd work like a first level mastery feat (quite powerful for a PAer, so attractive), and the setup would do fine after that. But the mastery allowing some sort of armor negation would be awesome!

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »
got the 1st 2 Kashima Feats up.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2009, 12:06:46 PM »
Kashima Mastery Feat  up.  If you guys like it's time to start on the Ki abilities  :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »
I guess thats a yes then.

Okay the idea for the Ki abilities is the ability to expend a use of your Ki Pool to temporarily use a Feat or Maneuver (similar to a Tactical Feat), get a bonus to a roll, temporarily ignore a penalty or status effect of some kind, automatically threaten a critical, etc.  Initially it would be small (+1 to hit with a specific weapon in a specific situation for 1 round), but by 20th level would be quite unrestricted (a bonus to all attack rolls for 1 round equal to your Wisdom Score, or a +2 to all attack rolls for 24 hours).  I just need to make enough options for each level (think 8 is enough?), and think up the prerequisites.