Author Topic: Samurai Poll  (Read 95279 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Samurai Poll
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »
Hmm...Kenjutsu seems to vary quite a bit too.  Should I make a defensive and an offensive style?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2009, 10:41:16 AM »
I'd put emphasis on offense. It's more Samurai-esque.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »
How about I make one of the Feats a style Feat.  You get whichever Feat goes with the school you practiced in.

All I'd have to do is research the various schools of Kenjutsu  :banghead

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »
I'll help with the school names, once my brain is back on. for now I'll say you'd probably want to use one of the more famous old Yagyu schools like Yagyu Shinkage Ryu for your kenjutsu type, and if going offense/defense let it take the defensive (ever read about the No-Mind? Shuji Suriken sounds a bit more defensively minded than straight out offense, though it IS used for cutting a foe down). They're just too large a school and too famous a school name to pass up. Also, Miyamoto Musashi's style of two-swords was called Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, or Niten Ryu for short.

For the odd styles, maybe a note that the old school Kage-Ryu had an emphasis on No-Dachi (greatswords?) or something.

First off, definitely decide on a time period you want the class to be from. Are we talking 17th century, if we're mentioning Musashi's style in the past tense? Just make sure which you'd like, since schools were split, modified, and preferred over one another depending on the years we're talking...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:16:59 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2009, 03:25:20 AM »
Have you considered making Samurai and Ronin two different classes, like Paladin and Blackguard?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2009, 05:17:57 AM »
To be honest, I'd stick with one swordstyle. Just give it several feat options. Both TWF and Power Attack, for example.
Making more styles is probably more effort than it's worth.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:38 AM »
I'll help with the school names, once my brain is back on. for now I'll say you'd probably want to use one of the more famous old Yagyu schools like Yagyu Shinkage Ryu for your kenjutsu type, and if going offense/defense let it take the defensive (ever read about the No-Mind? Shuji Suriken sounds a bit more defensively minded than straight out offense, though it IS used for cutting a foe down). They're just too large a school and too famous a school name to pass up. Also, Miyamoto Musashi's style of two-swords was called Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, or Niten Ryu for short.

For the odd styles, maybe a note that the old school Kage-Ryu had an emphasis on No-Dachi (greatswords?) or something.

First off, definitely decide on a time period you want the class to be from. Are we talking 17th century, if we're mentioning Musashi's style in the past tense? Just make sure which you'd like, since schools were split, modified, and preferred over one another depending on the years we're talking...

Theoretically I'd like it to be flexible enough to cover most time periods.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2009, 06:39:05 AM »
Have you considered making Samurai and Ronin two different classes, like Paladin and Blackguard?

Ronin is getting saved till after the Samurai is done.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2009, 06:39:53 AM »
To be honest, I'd stick with one swordstyle. Just give it several feat options. Both TWF and Power Attack, for example.
Making more styles is probably more effort than it's worth.

True, but Im known for being stubborn enough to take my time to do some things :D

God knows this class would be finished otherwise...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2009, 09:49:03 AM »
http://www.koryu.com/guide/kenjutsu.html

are there any more schools besides these?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2009, 07:39:24 AM »
One way to do the different schools, might be to include Martial Study and Martial Stance in the bonus feat list. Diamond Mind just screams No-thought to me, for example. Since the Samurai would only count half his level for initiator level and have no recovery mechanic (not to mention only end up with four manouvres max), this doesn't seem to be terribly overpowered.
At a later level, you might want to add some feat/ability that lets him add his WIS mod to his IL and selecter higher level manouvres, if he qualifies.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »
Lemme do the Ki abilities first.  Actually now that I think of it they might be better for simulating school styles than the Feats...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »
The Two Swrod style is done.  I think for regular Kenjutsu they'll get two feats based on their school, and all the others will be the same. 

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »
kenjutsu is done (except ofr the School Feats), and I'm adding Iaijutsu as a Feat set as well.  Any thoughts on the Cavalry guy?  There dont seem to be many mounted feats.  I might fill it in with weapon abased feats for the spear or sword.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »
Okay the path of the Individual (exotic weapons) is better done by prestige classes. 

So for now all I need to do is finish up Iaijutsu, make the School Feats, and then start on the Ki abilities.  All the other Military Training Feat sets should be up.  I of course await your feedback as always :D

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2009, 09:12:23 AM »
Any suggestions for the last two Iaijutsu Feats?  I'm thinking I may have to make a few.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »
Any suggestions for the last two Iaijutsu Feats?  I'm thinking I may have to make a few.

What do you feel is missing?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
well we have the ability to strike first, and quickly, but not devastatingly

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2009, 12:12:34 AM »
I don't see Iaijutsu Focus as a Class Skill, so maybe that at level one and delay everything else one step?
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »
Maybe turn some of the Iaijutsu Master abilities in feats?