Author Topic: Samurai Poll  (Read 95302 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: Samurai Poll
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2009, 06:30:07 AM »
I know its been a couple days (okay more than a couple) since I posted, but I havent forgotten I swear.  Ive just had some deadlines to meet for my online job and Im spread a lil thin, and Im trying not to hurry and do this one right.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2009, 06:58:27 AM »
You have dishonored yourself and your ancestors.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »
You have dishonored yourself and your ancestors.

Given the nature of some of my ancestors im not sure dishonoring htem is actually possible.  They're pretty thoroughly dishonored already  :lol

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2009, 08:30:04 AM »
bhu wins this round.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2009, 10:22:17 PM »
Okay I've begun editing in some of the class abilities.  Can anyone think of any applicable combat styles/military positions i haven't/should list?

SAMURAI

The Samurai is a warrior noble who is supposed to accept the concept that his only purpose in life is dying in service to his Lord, or for his own honor.  To accept that keeping to the ideals of honor are more important than his own life or happiness.  There are many who only pay lip service to this ideal, as in any other profession in life.  They make things difficult for those who do follow the Way. 

You will be expected to be both a powerful warrior, and an accomplished poet or artisan.  You will be expected to lead men into battle, and in turn be led by your Lord who may ask you to give your life whenever he pleases.  And if your Lord is an evil and dishonorable man, following his orders to your death is still preferable in the eyes of some to disobeying him and bringing dishonor to yourself.  But an evil Lord will eventually put you in the position that leads to your being dishonored regardless of what you do.  At that point you may end your life, or become a Ronin.  The life of a Ronin will be hard.  Your old master may want you dead, your friends and relatives may disown you for the stigma of your dishonor, and finding a new Lord will be next to impossible.  Since the only marketable skill you know is killing, you will likely have to become a mercenary or assassin for money. 

Welcome to Hell.

MAKING A SAMURAI Abilities: Since the Samurai is a warrior, your physical stats are expected to be good.  As a Noble your mental stats will be expected to be good.  Earlier Samurai are horse archers and will need Dexterity.  Later Samurai who are expected to be warrior-poets will need Wisdom and Charisma to deal with other members of the Nobility.  Many of your Ki Pool abilities will be based on your mental stats as well.
 RacesAlignment: Samurai are required to be Lawful.  Most are Lawful Neutral, particularly if they follow the Code of Bushido.  Lawful Good Samurai are less common, and many end up becoming Ronin, unable to reconcile their duties to their Lord with what they believe to be right.  Lawful Evil Samurai are monsters, murdering anything in their path, and manipulating the system to protect themselves.
 Starting Gold: Same as a Fighter.
 Starting Age: Same as a Fighter.

Class Skills
 The Samurai's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography, History, Local, Nobility & Royalty)(Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (4 + int)x4
Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d10

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +1    +2     +0     +2    Military Training, Ki Pool
2. +2    +3     +0     +3    Iron Will
3. +3    +3     +1     +3    Imposing Presence (+4 Intimidate Checks)
4. +4    +4     +1     +4    Military Training
5. +5    +4     +1     +4    Iron Will
6. +6    +5     +2     +5    Imposing Presence (Staredown)
7. +7    +5     +2     +5    Military Training
8. +8    +6     +2     +6    Iron Will
9. +9    +6     +3     +6    Imposing Presence (Improved Staredown)
10.+10   +7     +3     +7    Military Training
11.+11   +7     +3     +7    Iron Will
12.+12   +8     +4     +8    Imposing Presence (Imposing Strike)
13.+13   +8     +4     +8    Military Training
14.+14   +9     +4     +9    Iron Will
15.+15   +9     +5     +9    Imposing Presence (Frightful Presence)
16.+16   +10    +5     +10   Military Training
17.+17   +10    +5     +10   Iron Will
18.+18   +11    +6     +11   Imposing Presence (Improved Frightful Presence)
19.+19   +11    +6     +11   Military Training
20.+20   +12    +6     +12   Daimyo

Weapon Proficiencies: Samurai are proficient in all Simple and Martial Weapons, and one Exotic Weapon (please see Oriental Adventures for stats of oriental simple/martial/exotic weapons).  They are proficient with all armor, and light and heavy shields, but not tower shields. 

Ki Pool (Su): At 1st level the Samurai first begins to learn to channel his Ki to perform acts he would be otherwise unable to do.  He may use his Ki a number of times per day equal to either his Charisma or Wisdom Modifier (whichever is greater) plus once more per  day for each level of Samurai he takes.

Military Training (Ex)Iron Will (Ex):

Imposing Presence (Su)Daimyo (Ex):

PLAYING A SAMURAI
 The Code of Bushido has 7 virtues: Rectitude (a Samurai is expected to conform to the law and rules for moral conduct, and uphold integrity and justice), Courage (he is expected to risk his life in battle when it is possible to achieve something of worth, even if it means his death), Benevolence (he is expected to show mercy), Respect (he is to treat others deserving of respect with such, particularly his lord), Honesty (he must not lie or be deceitful), Honor (he is expected to behave in a dignified manner), and Loyalty (he must do as his lord commands regardless of his personal feelings on the matter).  His honor and his loyalty to his Lord are supposed to mean more to him than his own life, or the lives of others.  In practice, any truly good or evil Samurai finds it difficult to live up to these ideals.  Good Samurai chafe at being given orders to commit evil acts just as much as evil samurai dislike being ordered to perform good acts.  Despite being sworn to a life of honesty, many have a pretty good Bluff skill.
 ReligionOther ClassesCombatAdvancementSAMURAI IN THE WORLD
Daily LifeNotables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: The Samurai are members of the middle and upper classes, and richer ones own large farms or command armies for the government.  All Samurai belong to a military organization of one clan or another.  By taking the Leadership Feat and doing well in battle a PC could open his own swordsmanship school, or be promoted to General someday.

NPC Reaction SAMURAI IN THE GAMEAdaptationEncountersEPIC SAMURAI

Hit Die: d10
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int
Ki Pool The Epic Samurai gains 1 additional daily use of his Ki Pool for every Epic Level.  He does not gain new Ki abilities except as Epic Feats.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Samurai gains a Bonus Feat every 3 levels higher than 20th
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:26:15 PM by bhu »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 05:59:44 AM »
Something that bothers  me to no end with every warrior-like class: they have to devote significant resources to be more or less effective without weapons.
My commendation: give Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:42:39 AM by GawainBS »

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
Lemme finish up Military training and Iron Will first.  Plus the Ki Pool abilities still need to be figured out, so I can work something in there.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2009, 09:53:09 AM »
I added in the Iron WIll stuffs:

SAMURAI

The Samurai is a warrior noble who is supposed to accept the concept that his only purpose in life is dying in service to his Lord, or for his own honor.  To accept that keeping to the ideals of honor are more important than his own life or happiness.  There are many who only pay lip service to this ideal, as in any other profession in life.  They make things difficult for those who do follow the Way. 

You will be expected to be both a powerful warrior, and an accomplished poet or artisan.  You will be expected to lead men into battle, and in turn be led by your Lord who may ask you to give your life whenever he pleases.  And if your Lord is an evil and dishonorable man, following his orders to your death is still preferable in the eyes of some to disobeying him and bringing dishonor to yourself.  But an evil Lord will eventually put you in the position that leads to your being dishonored regardless of what you do.  At that point you may end your life, or become a Ronin.  The life of a Ronin will be hard.  Your old master may want you dead, your friends and relatives may disown you for the stigma of your dishonor, and finding a new Lord will be next to impossible.  Since the only marketable skill you know is killing, you will likely have to become a mercenary or assassin for money. 

Welcome to Hell.

MAKING A SAMURAI Abilities: Since the Samurai is a warrior, your physical stats are expected to be good.  As a Noble your mental stats will be expected to be good.  Earlier Samurai are horse archers and will need Dexterity.  Later Samurai who are expected to be warrior-poets will need Wisdom and Charisma to deal with other members of the Nobility.  Many of your Ki Pool abilities will be based on your mental stats as well.
 RacesAlignment: Samurai are required to be Lawful.  Most are Lawful Neutral, particularly if they follow the Code of Bushido.  Lawful Good Samurai are less common, and many end up becoming Ronin, unable to reconcile their duties to their Lord with what they believe to be right.  Lawful Evil Samurai are monsters, murdering anything in their path, and manipulating the system to protect themselves.
 Starting Gold: Same as a Fighter.
 Starting Age: Same as a Fighter.

Class Skills
 The Samurai's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography, History, Local, Nobility & Royalty)(Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (4 + int)x4
Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d10

BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities
1. +1    +2     +0     +2    Military Training, Ki Pool
2. +2    +3     +0     +3    Iron Will
3. +3    +3     +1     +3    Imposing Presence (+4 Intimidate Checks)
4. +4    +4     +1     +4    Military Training
5. +5    +4     +1     +4    Iron Will
6. +6    +5     +2     +5    Imposing Presence (Staredown)
7. +7    +5     +2     +5    Military Training
8. +8    +6     +2     +6    Iron Will
9. +9    +6     +3     +6    Imposing Presence (Improved Staredown)
10.+10   +7     +3     +7    Military Training
11.+11   +7     +3     +7    Iron Will
12.+12   +8     +4     +8    Imposing Presence (Imposing Strike)
13.+13   +8     +4     +8    Military Training
14.+14   +9     +4     +9    Iron Will
15.+15   +9     +5     +9    Imposing Presence (Frightful Presence)
16.+16   +10    +5     +10   Military Training
17.+17   +10    +5     +10   Iron Will
18.+18   +11    +6     +11   Imposing Presence (Improved Frightful Presence)
19.+19   +11    +6     +11   Military Training
20.+20   +12    +6     +12   Daimyo

Weapon Proficiencies: Samurai are proficient in all Simple and Martial Weapons, and one Exotic Weapon (please see Oriental Adventures for stats of oriental simple/martial/exotic weapons).  They are proficient with all armor, and light and heavy shields, but not tower shields. 

Ki Pool (Su): At 1st level the Samurai first begins to learn to channel his Ki to perform acts he would be otherwise unable to do.  He may use his Ki a number of times per day equal to either his Charisma or Wisdom Modifier (whichever is greater) plus once more per  day for each level of Samurai he takes.

Military Training (Ex)Iron Will (Ex): At 2nd level the Samurai gains Iron Will as a Bonus Feat.

At 5th level the Samurai gains Indomitable Soul as a Bonus Feat (see PHB II).

At 8th level gains Mind over Matter.  Once per round when targeted by an effect that requires a Fortitude or Reflex Saving Throw, the Samurai may opt to use a Willpower Save instead.

At 11th level the Samurai can violate his alignment if ordered to.  If his Lord commands him to commit an act his alignment would not normally allow him to perform, and disobeying him would violate the Code of Bushido, then he Samurai can make a Willpower Save (DC 20) to avoid his alignment changing, and any negative effects for violating his alignment.  He must seek to repent afterwards, and qualify for an Atonement spell, or after 1 week he takes the full brunt of violating his alignment.

At 14th level the Samurai gains a +4 Resistance Bonus on Willpower Saves against Mind-Affecting Effects.  If a Mind-Affecting Effect would cause him to disobey his Lord or violate the tenets of Bushido at any time (for example a Charm or Compulsion spell was cast on him, and he was ordered to commit an act that either Lord or Bushido would object to) he gains a second Saving Throw to escape the effect.

At 17th level the Samurai is immune to Fear and Morale based penalties.

Imposing Presence (Su)Daimyo (Ex):

PLAYING A SAMURAI
 The Code of Bushido has 7 virtues: Rectitude (a Samurai is expected to conform to the law and rules for moral conduct, and uphold integrity and justice), Courage (he is expected to risk his life in battle when it is possible to achieve something of worth, even if it means his death), Benevolence (he is expected to show mercy), Respect (he is to treat others deserving of respect with such, particularly his lord), Honesty (he must not lie or be deceitful), Honor (he is expected to behave in a dignified manner), and Loyalty (he must do as his lord commands regardless of his personal feelings on the matter).  His honor and his loyalty to his Lord are supposed to mean more to him than his own life, or the lives of others.  In practice, any truly good or evil Samurai finds it difficult to live up to these ideals.  Good Samurai chafe at being given orders to commit evil acts just as much as evil samurai dislike being ordered to perform good acts.  Despite being sworn to a life of honesty, many have a pretty good Bluff skill.
 ReligionOther ClassesCombatAdvancementSAMURAI IN THE WORLD
Daily LifeNotables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: The Samurai are members of the middle and upper classes, and richer ones own large farms or command armies for the government.  All Samurai belong to a military organization of one clan or another.  By taking the Leadership Feat and doing well in battle a PC could open his own swordsmanship school, or be promoted to General someday.

NPC Reaction SAMURAI IN THE GAMEAdaptationEncountersEPIC SAMURAI

Hit Die: d10
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int
Ki Pool The Epic Samurai gains 1 additional daily use of his Ki Pool for every Epic Level.  He does not gain new Ki abilities except as Epic Feats.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Samurai gains a Bonus Feat every 3 levels higher than 20th

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2009, 10:43:06 AM »
I'd change the +4 Resistance bonus vs Mindaffecting to something else than Resistance, otherwise it gets trompted by a Cloak of Resistance, especially that the level (14) that he gets this ability.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2009, 07:04:28 AM »
Competence?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2009, 07:11:21 AM »
Yes, that sounds good. Or maybe Morale.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2009, 06:02:29 AM »
Can the class be spoilered in the OP?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2009, 06:07:46 AM »
Can the class be spoilered in the OP?

Yup.  From now on I'll be editing the revised versions into the spoiler.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
Minor update on front page.

Time for me to work out the military training and I need 7 Feats for each option.

For the horse Archers theres obviously Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Improved Mounted Archery, and Ride-by Attack.  Should I make the other three regular archery Feats or come up with something new? And are there any Feats for mounted archers Ive missed?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »
You need regular Archery feats as well, so put them in. WF (Longbow) is also a good fluffwise option.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
Okay I got the Feats for the Horse Archer up, and the Infantry archer is coming this week.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2009, 09:16:16 AM »
Archer Feats are up.  I think I may have missed one.  Isn't there a feat that lets you fire a ranged weapon without provoking an attack of opportunity?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:14 AM »
Archer Feats are up.  I think I may have missed one.  Isn't there a feat that lets you fire a ranged weapon without provoking an attack of opportunity?

An Epic one, and one from the World of Warcraft d20 RPG.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »
Hmm....I cant find too many feats that scream "Spear fighting", so lemme do some research on how the japanese actually use spears and polearms.  I may have to make a few new Feats.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »
Hmm....I cant find too many feats that scream "Spear fighting", so lemme do some research on how the japanese actually use spears and polearms.  I may have to make a few new Feats.

A very useful feat would be a non-nerfed version of PHBII's Short Haft, i.e. let reach weapons threaten inside the 5ft zone. But ignore the swift action. Make it a free action.
Hold the Line is flavourful.
Weapon Focus and such.
Some overlap probably from other feat trees: Power Attack.
Combat Reflexes.
Stand Still. (XPH).
Check www.crystalkeep.com, it has a listing of Polearm feats, I think.