http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com
February 25, 2018, 03:59:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here http://minmaxforum.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Samurai Poll  (Read 66580 times)
Midnight_v
Organ Grinder

Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 05:17:49 PM »

Sneak preview of skills.  If you wish to leave feedback now is the time:

Class Skills
 The Samurai's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography, History, Local, Nobility & Royalty)(Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spot (Wis).
Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (4 + int)x4
Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : 4 + int

Bhu? Have you seen the 3.0 samurai, yet? You're missing Iujustu focus (which now a days is the province of factotums... I guess I miss it is all) 
Moreso just for reference the Rokugani samura. L5R d20 does the has almost the same list ast this so It seems to mesh well if you care to give it a quick glance.

SOLO
Yes asian culture is misrepresented ... A LOT! Sadly, fanboy-ism makes up a big part of what affects our D&D community. Be it Katanas or Drow with two scrimitars, its just one of those things. The idea bhu has is good. The "Warrior of Culture w/ his exotic weapon" is a good one if stated up correctly.
M.

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"
Flay Crimsonwind
Hong Kong

Watching the World Burn in Magnificence

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 04:11:34 AM »

Funnily enough, I've been slowly filling two prcs out using ToB maneuvers as some fill that are based off of Niten-ryu and Skinkage-ryu, albeit solely based off my reading the Book of Five Rings and The Life-Giving Sword too many times. I might put a link to them here when I'm done. Trying to be accurate to the two books ideal of a warrior whom uses specialized training and mental-honing, kinda historical more than fanboy, but the ToB will I assume make up for the difference...

bhu
Organ Grinder

Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »

Iaijutsu Focus will be returning in a fashion.  Not all samurai studied Iaijutsu, and only the ones who study it will get that type of skill/ability.  Others will get something else.  I'm also adding swim to the skill list.  it's an island nation, swimming should be pretty common.

and another peek:

Weapon Proficiencies: Samurai are proficient in all Simple and Martial Weapons, and the Katana (please see Oriental Adventures for stats of oriental simple/martial weapons).  They are proficient with all armor, and light and heavy shields, but not tower shields. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:57:51 PM by bhu » Logged

woodenbandman
Man in Gorilla Suit

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »

Needs moar exotic polearms.

Bozwevial
Organ Grinder

Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 03:50:29 AM »

How about "proficiency with one exotic weapon of their choice"?

Unless you feel the OA simple/martial weapons cover it.

bhu
Organ Grinder

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 04:14:09 AM »

Needs moar exotic polearms.

Some of the exotic polearms are martial weapons in OA.

bhu
Organ Grinder

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 04:15:56 AM »

How about "proficiency with one exotic weapon of their choice"?

Unless you feel the OA simple/martial weapons cover it.

Im thinking of adding that at later levels as many samurai sem to have experimented with exotic weapons eventually, but as a military unit they were expected to fight with the same weapons/armor, so they'd be more likely to specialize in them except for individuals who wanted to be different (which isn't such a good thing in a conformist society).

KMD
Monkey bussiness

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »

Well, I agree with Bozwevial on the weapon thing, for the purpose of a flavorful Ancestral Daisho.
woodenbandman
Man in Gorilla Suit

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »

Give them some intimidate abilities that are focused on strength. Like EjoThims's Python race, with Skilled Intimidate (it lets you use your highest stat for determining your bonus on intimidate). That'd alleviate some of the MADness and be a cool ability in general (though it might make the intimidating barbarian build a bit more stupid)

bhu
Organ Grinder

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »

I'll have some fluff to peek at shortly.  My online job had a deadline I had to meet this week, but this weekend I  *may* have some me time, so I'll be trying to do as much as possible.

bhu
Organ Grinder

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 02:12:02 PM »

Oh and I'll work te Ancestral Daisho in somehow.  Prolly as a Feat Tree or something.  Not sure yet.

JaronK
Organ Grinder

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »

Just be aware that the Ancestral Relic feat from BoED is basically the same as the Daisho, so it shouldn't be a whole feat tree.

JaronK

bhu
Organ Grinder

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »

Any objections to the fwuffiness written so far?

SAMURAI

” The entire country will soon be in the hands of your master, Lord Ieyasu. If this is so, the men who served him will no doubt hope to become daimyo by his appointment. You should know that if such feelings arise, they are inevitably the beginning of the end of one's fortunes in the Way of the Warrior. Being affected by the avarice for office and rank, or wanting to become a daimyo and being eager for such things ... will not one then begin to value his life? And how can a man commit acts of martial valor if he values his life? A man who has been born into the house of a warrior and yet places no loyalty in his heart and thinks only of the fortune of his position will be flattering on the surface and construct schemes in his heart, will forsake righteousness and not reflect on his shame, and will stain the warrior's name of his household to later generations. This is truly regrettable.”

The Samurai is a warrior noble who is supposed to accept the concept that his only purpose in life is dying in service to his Lord, or for his own honor.  To accept that keeping to the ideals of honor are more important than his own life or happiness.  There are many who only pay lip service to this ideal, as in any other profession in life.  They make things difficult for those who do follow the Way. 

You will be expected to be both a powerful warrior, and an accomplished poet or artisan.  You will be expected to lead men into battle, and in turn be led by your Lord who may ask you to give your life whenever he pleases.  And if your Lord is an evil and dishonorable man, following his orders to your death is still preferable in the eyes of some to disobeying him and bringing dishonor to yourself.  But an evil Lord will eventually put you in the position that leads to your being dishonored regardless of what you do.  At that point you may end your life, or become a Ronin.  The life of a Ronin will be hard.  Your old master may want you dead, your friends and relatives may disown you for the stigma of your dishonor, and finding a new Lord will be next to impossible.  Since the only marketable skill you know is killing, you will likely have to become a mercenary or assassin for money. 

Welcome to Hell.

MAKING A SAMURAI
 Quick generalization of what you should focus on when making the class.
 Abilities: Since the Samurai is a warrior, your physical stats are expected to be good.  As a Noble your mental stats will be expected to be good.  Earlier Samurai are horse archers and will need Dexterity.  Later Samurai who are expected to be warrior-poets will need Wisdom and Charisma to deal with other members of the Nobility.  Many of your Ki Pool abilities will be based on your mental stats as well.
 Races: Only civilized races who have a tendency towards a Lawful alignment produce many Samurai.  Members of races who aren’t commonly Lawful are rarely accepted for training, and openly Chaotic races have no chance.
 Alignment: Samurai are required to be Lawful.  Most are Lawful Neutral, particularly if they follow the Code of Bushido.  Lawful Good Samurai are less common, and many end up becoming Ronin, unable to reconcile their duties to their Lord with what they believe to be right.  Lawful Evil Samurai are monsters, murdering anything in their path, and manipulating the system to protect themselves.
 Starting Gold: Same as a Fighter.
 Starting Age: Same as a Fighter.

Class Skills
 The Samurai's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Geography, History, Local, Nobility & Royalty)(Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (4 + int)x4
Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d10

Weapon Proficiencies: Samurai are proficient in all Simple and Martial Weapons, and one Exotic Weapon (please see Oriental Adventures for stats of oriental simple/martial/exotic weapons).  They are proficient with all armor, and light and heavy shields, but not tower shields. 

PLAYING A SAMURAI
 Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
 Religion: A brief description of the different religions that the class commonly follows. It's best to state your sources if you are using non-core gods.
 Other Classes: An in detail section on how your class interacts with other classes. Best to state your sources if your going to refer to non-core classes.
 Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
 Advancement: How a Samurai advances depends entirely on the whims of his Lord in theory.  A Daimyo could order a Samurai to take a specific position, and if he ever wishes to have a better position (or at least retain what he has), he’d better do it well.  Many Lords will be pragmatic enough to put a Samurai where his strengths will be best used, but particularly evil nobles will use promotion to rid themselves of honest men.

SAMURAI IN THE WORLD
“One who is samurai must, before all things, keep constantly in mind , by day and by night....that he has to die”.
 In real life the Samurai were warriors hired by the nobility to fight their battles for them.  They began as little more than paid mercenaries known as Saburai (meaning “those who serve”), and were thought of as barbarians by their condescending masters.  Eventually the nobility began to rely on them more and more, and the Samurai evolved into a class of warrior nobility themselves.  While they were expected to live their life by the ideals of the Bushido code (although that name wasn’t used until late in their existence), and were even socially ostracized if it was perceived that they hadn’t, the demands of their position meant that living up to that ideal would be extraordinarily difficult.  A Samurai was expected to be benevolent and show mercy, but the law stated that he could simply kill anyone of a lower station who insulted him.  He was also expected to commit ritual suicide if his honor had been tarnished beyond repair or he had lost a battle and would have to surrender, but there are many writings of the time suggesting that the Samurai were no less pragmatic than any other warrior on a battlefield.  Theirs was a twisted life where their lord could order them to die, and they would be expected to comply.  Failing to do so meant his family would suffer along with him.
 Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
 Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: The Samurai are members of the middle and upper classes, and richer ones own large farms or command armies for the government.  All Samurai belong to a military organization of one clan or another.  By taking the Leadership Feat and doing well in battle a PC could open his own swordsmanship school, or be promoted to General someday.

NPC Reaction
 Samurai tend to make people nervous, particularly if they are peasants.  They’re allowed to kill any peasant who insults them, and some Samurai are notoriously easy to insult (i.e. Lawful Evil).   Nobles above them aren’t supposed to have to fear the Samurai’s anger, but in practice there’s damn little stopping a determined one from killing a member of the ruling class either if he plans it well.  Other Samurai even tend to regard Samurai they don’t know with distrust, always wondering if they’ll have to kill him at some point.

SAMURAI IN THE GAME
 This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
 Adaptation: The Samurai is intended for campaigns with oriental flavor, but with some work it can be adapted to different settings.  It’s basically a nobleman warrior, and by using different combat styles and optional class abilities it can be used to mimic fighters from different settings.
 Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

EPIC SAMURAI

Hit Die: d10
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int
Class Ability
Class Ability.
Bonus Feats: The Epic Samurai gains a Bonus Feat every x levels higher than 20th

Midnight_v
Organ Grinder

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »

Awsome so far.  Wink

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"
Bozwevial
Organ Grinder

Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »

I like what I'm seeing...Presumably, the samurai won't have too much MAD.

bhu
Organ Grinder

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 04:03:50 AM »

I like what I'm seeing...Presumably, the samurai won't have too much MAD.

MAD?

Risada
Grape ape

Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:52 AM »

MAD?

Multiple Ability Dependancy (ie class needs lots of different stats to work...)

Midnight_v
Organ Grinder

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »

I think if you make it right it sometimes it can be an either or type of thing, but I can think of rare cases of that, like the warrior classes: Strength as a primary or Dex as a primary.
the problem with the samurai I forsee is the need for Strength or Dex + Con + Charisma.
I've been thinking that maybe they should replace charisma with dex based things like the Iujitsu master.
Charisma to Ac & init. I realize they perhaps should have some supernatural powers otherwise they're just fighters.
I also think if they're going to have a "fighting" style it shuold be in additon to class abilities that are not duplicatable by feats ( except maybe Ancestral Relic)
sorry just random musings. . .

JaronK
Organ Grinder

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 08:40:50 PM »

There's nothing wrong with a class having MAD if its other abilities balance it out.  So as long as the samurai is strong enough, it's okay to need str, dex, con, and cha.

I think Ancestral Daisho should give you two weapons of your choice, and any feat that applies to one of them applies to the other if it's legal to do so (so if chose Katana and Longbow, and took Weapon Focus Katana, you effectively have Weapon Focus Longbow).  You should then effectively get the Ancestral Relic feat with both of them.

JaronK

Solo
Organ Grinder

Solo the Sorcelator, at your service

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »

How many good MAD classes are there?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »
  Print  

Jump to: