Author Topic: The Tides of Time: Rules Discussion  (Read 5006 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
The Tides of Time: Rules Discussion
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:06:26 AM »
The purpose of this thread is to keep out of game rules discussion/debates out of the Game Threads.

Should an issue with a rule come up, this will be the thread for discussing that ruling.

Houserules

1. Max HP for level 1 & 2, average for each level afterwards (4.5 for a d8, for example).
2. Disjunction does not destroy items, it merely causes them to become nonmagical for 1 hour.
3. Players die at either -10 or -Con score, whichever is most beneficial at the time.
4. Everyone receives Able Learner as a bonus feat.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 12:33:25 PM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Tides of Time: Rules Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 01:09:29 AM »
Any other houserules that might be good?

Maybe one of these?:
-Use Fractional BAB & Saves, as outlined in Unearthed Arcana
-Everyone gains Able learner as a bonus feat
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:17:03 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 03:16:16 AM »
Oh my! The last one is good! I could keep maxing my hide and bluff after filling those pesky SCM prerequisites.

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 03:27:47 AM »
Well I'll leave it up to vote. If we get 4 yes votes for any house rule we'll use it. :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
Well I'll leave it up to vote. If we get 4 yes votes for any house rule we'll use it. :D

Well then we have 2 for Able Learner. I have a lot of cross-class skill prereqs as well.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
I'm for 2. as well.  It seems to really help out all players, but only help BBEGs, so it does lead to a very minor power disparity.  It would only help out our multiclassing, though, which I doubt aftercrescent would do for anything other than some BBEGs...  Thats totally metagaming it, but at least we'd be playing what we wanted.

I've got some other proposals, as well:
4.  Banning Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, and Shapechange (I don't find Alter Self that broken, personally, except on Outsider forms for that stupid Dwarf)
5.  Banning Gate for non-transportation use

The main reason is b/c aftercrescent could abuse these much easier than we could.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »
I'm for 2. as well.  It seems to really help out all players, but only help BBEGs.

I've got some other proposals, as well:
4.  Banning Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, and Shapechange (I don't find Alter Self that broken, personally, except on Outsider forms for that stupid Dwarf)
5.  Banning Gate for non-transportation use

The main reason is b/c aftercrescent could abuse these much easier than we could.
If you guys want to ban these, that's fine (again, I leave it up to vote) but I stand by the gentleman's agreement that if you guys don't use it, I won't.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »
I'm willing to vote for the able learner rule.  It would help my UMD (Eldritch Disciple, oddly, does not have it.)

Aftercrescent, that Gentleman's Agreement, does it pertain to degrees?  For example, say we do use polymorph to turn one of us into an animal to scout out a secret meeting unobtrusively.  Would that then open polymorph for the baddies in all senses?  Or would it merely open polymorph for basic uses (scouting, maybe a basic combat form, like a bear) for the bad guys?  Or is it that once we use it for anything once, there is no limit to the crap the bad guys will pull with it?

Personally, I've always hated nerfs on polymorph, because so many mythological stories make use of it in ways that even the 3.0 -> 3.5 polymorph changes nerf.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:32:46 PM »
I'm willing to vote for the able learner rule.  It would help my UMD (Eldritch Disciple, oddly, does not have it.)

Aftercrescent, that Gentleman's Agreement, does it pertain to degrees?  For example, say we do use polymorph to turn one of us into an animal to scout out a secret meeting unobtrusively.  Would that then open polymorph for the baddies in all senses?  Or would it merely open polymorph for basic uses (scouting, maybe a basic combat form, like a bear) for the bad guys?  Or is it that once we use it for anything once, there is no limit to the crap the bad guys will pull with it?

Personally, I've always hated nerfs on polymorph, because so many mythological stories make use of it in ways that even the 3.0 -> 3.5 polymorph changes nerf.
Able learner passes then.

And in answer to your question, if something is used in moderation, I'll use it the same way. The way you (ab)use polymorph is the same way I will. If you're not using Combat Reflexes in combination with Robilar's gambit and a hydra, I won't either. :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »
Able learner passes then.

Woot! Skill Points!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »
Awesome! Now I have four more skill points to use at level 1. Knowledge skills going up much?

Handy Links

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
There's no way I can support a polymorph ban.  I'm with the Snow Owl on this one, and I've written quite verbose defenses of that spell line.

But seeing as my character doesn't get access to gate, go ahead and ban that.  :)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »
I don't think banning the Polymorph line is worth it either. Let's just use it without too much abuse and we won't get it on our necks either. I'd like to remind everyone that it's level 1 we start at, so planning on banning Gate and Shapechange is quite stupid at this point.

Handy Links

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 02:17:21 AM »
There's no way I can support a polymorph ban.  I'm with the Snow Owl on this one, and I've written quite verbose defenses of that spell line.

But seeing as my character doesn't get access to gate, go ahead and ban that.  :)

Polymorph is fine. It's PAO I'm worried about. For one thing, the duration is ridiculous. And one thing I always found weird is that you get new mental stats. You think that would come with a new personality or loss of memory or something, *shrugs*
And then there's the whole turning inanimate objects into sexy cat-girls...yeah.

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 04:08:56 AM »
You have something against sexy cat girls? Nuku nuku?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
You have something against sexy cat girls? Nuku nuku?

They're not bad, but I've had games derailed by them is all.