Author Topic: Risada's Bestiary  (Read 84386 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Re: Risada's Bestiary
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2011, 04:43:14 PM »
Itsumade update...

...I'm not sure on how I worded it, but I hope it's not that messy.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »
That should do it I think.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »
Small update...

Added pounce to nue...

... and thinking about what to do next...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
Hmm...

I'm having some ideas... let's see what I can come up with...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2011, 12:26:38 AM »
im getting a new yokai book if you do more of them

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »

Komainu
Large Magical Beast (Earth)
HD 6d8+18 (45 HP)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares); burrow 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +5
AC 18; touch 10; flat-footed 17
(-1 size, +1 Dex, +8 Natural)
BAB +6; Grp +15
Attack bite +10 melee (1d8+5, 20/x2) or claw +10 melee (1d6+5, 20/x2)
Full-Attack bite +10 melee (1d8+5, 20/x2) plus 2 claws +8 melee (1d6+2, 20/x2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks banishing howl, improved grab, pounce, rake, soul strike
Special Qualities blindsense 120 ft., DR 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., eternal guardian, freeze, scent
Saves Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities Str 21, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills Hide +8, Intimidate +7, Listen +7, Spot +7
Feats Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Multiattack
Organization pair
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure None
Alignment always LN
Advancement 7-18 HD (Large); 19-30 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment --

"Komainu, often called lion-dogs in English, are statue pairs of lion-like creatures either guarding the entrance or the inner shrine of many Japanese Shinto shrines or kept inside the inner shrine itself, where they are not visible to the public. The first type, born during the Edo period, is called sandou komainu, the second and much older type jinnai komainu. They can sometimes be found also at Buddhist temples, nobility residences or even private homes. The komainu is also one of the pieces of a shogi (Japanese chess) board.

Meant to ward off evil spirits, modern komainu statues are almost identical, but one has the mouth open, the other closed. This is a very common characteristic in religious statue pairs at both temples and shrines. This pattern is however Buddhist in origin and has a symbolic meaning. The open mouth is pronouncing the first letter of the Sanskrit alphabet, which is pronounced "a", while the closed one is uttering the last letter, which is pronounced "um", to represent the beginning and the end of all things. Together they form the sound Aum, a syllable sacred in several religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism."

Before you stands two big stone statues shaped like lions sitting majestically in a stone platform each. The one on the right has its mouth open, while the one on the left has its mouth closed. As you pass between them and move forward to the temple, you hear the sound of rocks crackling. The source of the sound - the statues - are standing up, turning to you; its eyes shining with a intense yellow. They roar, then charge in your direction.

Banishing Howl (Su): The komainu's howl chills living creatures and spirits alike to the core. The komainu can howl as a standard action. All creatures within a 30-foot radius must make a successful Will save or become frightened for 2d4 rounds; those more than 30 feet away but within 300 feet must make a Will save or become shaken for 2d4 rounds. This is a mind-afecting fear effect. Creatures immune to this ability are affected diferently: within a 30-foot radius the creatures affected must spend their next 2d4 rounds moving away from the komainu; while those more than 30 feet away but within 300 feet are immobilized for 2d4 rounds. Either way, a creature that successfully saves against the banishing howl cannot be affected by the same komainu's howl for 24 hours.

When fighting in groups, komainus may choose to combine their howls to increase its effect. For each komainu above the first that howls in the same round, the howl's DC increases by 4. Additionally, all creatures within a 30-foot radius that fail the save by 5 or more are panicked for 2d4 rounds instead; those more than 30 feet away but within 300 feet are frightened for 2d4 rounds instead. Creatures immune to mind-affecting and/or fear effects suffer no additional penalty.

If the komainu has 15 HD or more, its banishing howl improves. Instead of its usual effect, the komainu may choose to use this ability to mimic the effects of a area greater dispel magic or banishment spells (caster level equal to komainu's HD).

When using this ability, the komainu must wait 2 rounds before using it again.

Eternal Guardian (Ex): Komainus do not need to breath, eat or sleep. Additionally, komainus are immune to all compulsion and mind-affecting abilities.

Freeze (Ex): A komainu can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the komainu is really alive.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a komainu must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.

Pounce (Ex): If a komainu charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex): +10 attack bonus, 1d6+2 points of damage.

Skills: Komainus have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. *The Hide bonus increases by +8 when a komainu is concealed against a background of stone.

Soul Strike (Ex): a komainu's natural attacks are considered magic for the purpose of damage reduction, and ghost touch weapons when attacking incorporeal creatures.

===============

I am thinking on giving these guys some kind of synergy ability.... when close to one another... but what? Some kind of static bonus? Added effects on their natural weapons?

...and I didn't forget I owe you something, veekie... gimme some more time please ;)

Edit: added a synergy for 2 or more komainus in Banishing Howl... raising its CR to 5...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:43 PM »
should havee new yokai book this saturday

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
reference material has been acquired

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
Komainu
Needs a super-bark(fear/banish/dispel?).
As for synergy...most of them are placed in pairs I think. Perhaps mated pairs with some bonuses just for pair combat.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: July 31, 2011, 02:27:03 AM »
Komainu
Needs a super-bark(fear/banish/dispel?).

The original sketch had him using a roar similar to that Bloodcurling Roar (sp?) from the ghost brute template, that worked even against critters immune to mind-affecting stuff... but then I thought it was too powerful and scrapped it...

As for synergy...most of them are placed in pairs I think. Perhaps mated pairs with some bonuses just for pair combat.

I've got to think on something different here, for a change...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #191 on: July 31, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »
The original sketch had him using a roar similar to that Bloodcurling Roar (sp?) from the ghost brute template, that worked even against critters immune to mind-affecting stuff... but then I thought it was too powerful and scrapped it...
Theres ways and ways. For example, you could have a Roar ability that hits an area with a dispel, and evil creatures in the area must will save or be Frightened. Then add a Greater Roar(for advanced versions), that banishes or panics them.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »
What about this for the "super-bark"?

Banishing Howl (Su): The komainu's howl chills living creatures and spirits alike to the core. The komainu can howl as a standard action. All creatures within a 30-foot radius must make a successful Will save or become frightened for 2d4 rounds; those more than 30 feet away but within 300 feet must make a Will save or become shaken for 2d4 rounds. This is a mind-afecting fear effect. Creatures immune to this ability are affected diferently: within a 30-foot radius the creatures affected must spend their next 2d4 rounds moving away from the komainu; while those more than 30 feet away but within 300 feet are immobilized for 2d4 rounds. Either way, a creature that successfully saves against the banishing howl cannot be affected by the same komainu's howl for 24 hours.

If the komainu has 15 HD or more, its banishing howl improves. Instead of its usual effect, the komainu may choose to use this ability to mimic the effects of a area greater dispel magic or banishment spells (caster level equal to komainu's HD). When using this ability, the komainu must wait 2 rounds before using it again.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
Finally paid my debt, over a month later  :rollseyes

Manananggal
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
HD 9d8+18 (58 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); fly 60 ft. (average) - see text
Init: +3
AC 20; touch 13; flat-footed 17
(+3 Dex, +7 Natural)
BAB +9; Grp +17
Attack piercing tongue +14 melee (1d8+4, 15-20/x4)
Full-Attack piercing tongue +14 melee (1d8+4, 15-20/x4) plus 2 claws +8 melee (1d6+2, 20/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft. (10 ft. with piercing tongue)
Special Attacks flyby attack, magic strike, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities augmented critical, DR 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., detach, regeneration 5
Saves Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities Str 19, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats Flyby Attack, Improved Critical (piercing tongue), Improved Grapple (B), Improved Natural Attack (piercing tongue), Weapon Focus (piercing tongue)
Organization solitary
Challenge Rating 7
Treasure None
Alignment always CE
Advancement 10-18 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment --

"The manananggal (sometimes confused with the Wak Wak in some areas by the Filipinos) is a mythical creature of the Philippines. It resembles a Western vampire, in being an evil, man-eating monster or witch. The myth of the manananggal is popular in the Visayan region of the Philippines, especially in the western provinces of Capiz, Iloilo, and Antique. There are varying accounts of the features of a manananggal. Like vampires, Visayan folklore creatures, and aswangs, manananggals are also said to abhor garlic and salt.[1] They were also known to avoid daggers, light, vinegar, spices and the tail of a stingray, which can be fashioned as a whip.[2] Folklore of similar creatures can be found in the neighbouring nations of Indonesia and Malaysia.

A manananggal is described as being a hideous, scary vampire-like creature (as opposed to an aswang), capable of severing its upper torso in order to fly into the night with huge bat-like wings to prey on unsuspecting, pregnant women in their homes; using an elongated proboscis-like tongue, it sucks the hearts of fetuses or the blood of an unsuspecting, sleeping victim. It is known to whip its hair in urban forests, causing hurricanes all over the globe. The severed lower torso is left standing, and it is said to be the more vulnerable of the two halves. Sprinkling salt or smearing crushed garlic or ash on top of the standing torso is fatal to the creature. The upper torso then would not be able to rejoin and will die at daybreak. The name of the creature originates from sinalalala used for a severed torso: manananggal comes from the Tagalog tanggal (cognate of Malay tanggal), which means "to remove" or "to separate". Manananggal then means "the one who separates itself" (in this case, separates itself from its lower body). It is a saying that a manananggal's attack can be avoided by death. The most prominent characteristic of a manananggal is its ability to dispatch its torso from its legs."

Augmented Critical (Ex):Blood Drain (Ex): A manananggal can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the manananggal gains 5 temporary hit points.

Detach (Ex): A manananggal is capable of detaching its upper torso (including head, arms and wings) from its lower torso (including the waist and legs). This allows a manananggal to use his fly speed (otherwise it can't fly). Additionally, if it takes enough damage to be killed, it only stays unconscious. However, if the upper torso is destroyed (such as when affected by a disintegrate spell), the creature is slain, as normal. Both the upper torso and the lower torso have its own hit points; the upper torso keeps the creature's full hit points, while the lower torso possess only half the creature's hit points when detached.

When detached, the lower torso is very vulnerable. Any kind of damage done to the lower torso is lethal (ignoring the creature's damage reduction and regeneration). Additionally, the lower torso is vulnerable to holy water as if it was an undead creature, and takes double damage from it. Attacks from good-aligned weapons also deals double damage to it. If the lower torso's hit points reach 0, the creature will die in 24 hours.

Magic Strike (Ex): A manananggal's natural attacks count as magical for the purpose of damage reduction.

Piercing Tongue (Ex): A manananggal uses its tongue as a natural weapon that deals piercing damage, with reach of 10 feet.

Regeneration (Ex): silver and good-aligned weapons deals lethal damage to a manananggal. Alternatively, spells with the [Good] descriptor also deals lethal damage to the creature. If a manananggal loses a limb or body part from the upper torso, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Spell-like abilities: 3/day: control winds. Caster level 9th.

=======================

The only thing left is the "spin hair, creates hurricane" stuff. Maybe an AoE untyped damage that pushes targets around?

Edit: added a Control Winds SLA, increased its tongue's reach, and added the fluff...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
tongue should have range

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2011, 05:20:03 AM »
Could work with a Control Winds SLA?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
Manananggal updated!

Also, bumping this:

What about this for the "super-bark"?

If the komainu has 15 HD or more, its banishing howl improves. Instead of its usual effect, the komainu may choose to use this ability to mimic the effects of a area greater dispel magic or banishment spells (caster level equal to komainu's HD). When using this ability, the komainu must wait 2 rounds before using it again.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »
Hmm...that does look fairly good. On both counts.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
Komainu updated!

Also, what do you think of enhancing or even adding effecs to the howl if both komainu use it in a given round? Something like an additional -2 AC or increase the fear effects by one step...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2011, 04:19:59 PM »
Team howls...worsen the DC and add a "If failed by 5+, one step worse"?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]