Author Topic: Risada's Bestiary  (Read 84390 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Re: Risada's Bestiary
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »
Anyway, opinions on Ultima (or even Chaos)? They suck/pwn everything?

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2009, 02:12:45 PM »

Zodiark, Keeper of Precepts
Small Outsider
HD 22d8+220(396 HP)
Speed fly 100 ft. (12 squares) (perfect)
Init: 14
AC 42; touch 25; flat-footed 28
(+1 size, +14 Dex, +17 Natural)
BAB +22; Grp +26
Attack bite +41 melee (2d8+13, 17-20/x2)
Full-Attack bite +41 melee (2d8+13, 17-20/x2) plus 2 slams +39 melee (2d6+9, 20/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks banish ray, empowering surge, final eclipse, piercing gravity, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities DR 16/-, darkvision 60ft., essence of the precept, fast healing 15, limit break, resistance to acid, cold, eletricity, force, fire and sonic 30, spell resistance 32, spellcasting afinity
Saves Fort +23 Ref +27 Will +23
Abilities Str 27, Dex 39, Con 31, Int 23, Wis 27, Cha 39
Skills Autohypnosis +33, Bluff+32, Concentration +32, Intimidate +32, Knowledge (arcana) +31, Knowledge (nature) +31, Knowledge (psionics) +31, Knowledge (religion) +31, Knowledge (the planes) +31, Listen +33, Sense Motive +33, Spot +33, Tumble +39, Use Magic Device +39
Feats Ability Focus (banish ray) (B), Ability Focus (final eclipse), Dodge, Elusive Target, Flyby Attack, Iron Will, Multiattack, Mobility, Weapon Finesse
Challenge Rating 25?
Treasure none
Alignment N

Strongest of the scions created by the gods, they feared his growth, and so kept him a child. So indomitable is his strength that all things are by him twisted and pressed into oblivion. He alone fashions the laws governing all things, and administers punishment in place of the gods. So is he Keeper of Precepts, and his authority is absolute.

Zodiark is a 3 feet long snake, with some draconic features, wearing an armor and stuck on a metallic artifact surround him, probably working as the seal over his powers.

Zodiark represents the constellation of Ophiuchus.

Combat

Zodiark begins combat by using his empowering surge ability. Then starts moving around his enemies, while using his banish ray, piercing gravity and his darkbolt, mass hold monster, flesh to stone spell-lke abilities. Zodiark uses his final eclipse once every 3 rounds, whenever it is recharged.
When his hit points are reduced to half or lower, he stops using his non-damaging abilities, and focus on the offensive until the end of the combat.

Banish Ray (Su): as a standard action, Zodiark fires a beam of darkness at one creature within 120 ft. as a ranged touch attack. The creature struck takes 15d6 points of damage and is affected by the shadow wellSpC spell for 1 round unless it succeeds on a Will save (DC 37). When the effect ends, the creature reappears at the space it originally was.

Empowering Surge (Ex): as an immediate action once per day, Zodiark can use this ability to be affected by the following spells (all of them CL 22th): greater mighty wallopRotD, haste, nerveskitterSpC, scintillating scalesSpC, superior resistanceSpC and true seeing.

Essence of the Precept (Ex): Zodiark possess an extra move, standard or swift action every round, at his choice. Additionally, whenever Zodiark is hit by any attack (ranged or melee), he releases a small blast of darkness towards the attacker, automatically dealing 5d6 points of untyped damage.

Final Eclipse (Su): Twice per day, Zodiark releases a blast of darkness from himself, affecting every creature within 60 ft. from him as a standard action. The affected creatures are blinded for 5 rounds and take 20d6 points of damage (Reflex save DC 37 halves the damage). Additionally, any affected creature who fails a Fortitude Save (DC 37) is automatically reduced to -1 hit point. This ability is not a death effect. Zodiark must wait 1d6 rounds before using this ability again.

Limit Break (Ex): Zodiark uses his own willpower to weaken the seal holding his powers. Banish Ray's and Final Eclipse's damage are maximized, and the DCs are increased by 2. Additionally, Zodiark can make an additional move and standard actions every round. This ability becomes active when Zodiark's hit points are at half or below his max hit points.

Piercing Gravity (Su): as a standard action, all creatures within 30 ft from Zodiark take hit point damage equal to half their max hit points. This ability is usable once every 1d3 rounds.

Spell-like Abilities: at will: mass hold monster (DC 33), quickened darkboltSpC (DC 29), quickened flesh to stone (DC 30). Once per day: greater spell immunity. Caster level 22th. Saves are Charisma based.

Spellcasting Affinity (Ex): Zodiark can use spells and spell-like abilities without provoking attacks of opportunity.

EDIT: increased Zodiark's CR by 1 and fixed Essence of the Precept's text.
EDIT2: nerfed Zodiark's banish ray, final eclipse and limit break.
EDIT3: "fixed" final eclipse's damage...
EDIT4: reworded Final Eclipse...
EDIT5: Limited Final Eclipse to 2/day, and increased the recharge...
----------------------------------------------------------
And with this, the Zodiac Beasts Espers are finished!

... but I'm still looking for tips balance/improve them...  :rollseyes

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2009, 02:19:44 PM »
Does essence of the precept auto-hit? Or rather, should it?

Also, is Final Eclipse a standard, full round, or what?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »
Does essence of the precept auto-hit? Or rather, should it?

Fix'd...

Also, is Final Eclipse a standard, full round, or what?

Final Eclipse (Su): Zodiark releases a blast of darkness from himself, affecting every creature within 60 ft. from him as a standard action. The affected creatures are blinded and take 25d8 points of damage (Reflex save DC 37 halves the damage). Additionally, any affected creature who fails a Fortitude Save (DC 37) dies instantly (this effect isn't a death effect).

It's there... it might not be easy to find, but it's there  ;)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
Yeah... well... I'm illiterate. So nyah. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
...I just realised I missed the skills. Fixed it already, and looking for opinions on Zodiark  :)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »
I'm not a big a fan of these absurdly powerful special attacks that can be used at will. Final Eclipse. Why would Zodiark ever, EVER, even consider using anything other than Final Eclipse every round (sometimes twice)? Average damage ~115 (max 200), blinds without a save (permanently I guess), and has high DC death-effect, that nothing is immune to. Casters will die from the damage after two of these and don't have the Fort to resist that death effect, while melee is permanently blinded. Too strong to be an at-will ability. His other options pale in comparison to the effects of Final Eclipse. I'd say this needs a recharge time. Piercing Gravity isn't quite as strong as this and has a recharge.

Then again, no caster is going to be anywhere near this guy out of fear of those devastating area effects, and since Zodiark doesn't have any way to move more than 200ft per round, nor any teleportation, nor any teleport-negation, he has only very weak offensive options against casters.

*shrug*

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »
Yay new critters!

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2009, 01:44:45 AM »
The monsters are sculpted wonderfully, and the last Esper, Zodiark, is CR 25. Would you mind if I used these creatures for my Burning Wheel and Burning Warhammer games?

The artwork is beautiful. Where did you delve to find these works?
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2009, 09:44:25 AM »
I'm not a big a fan of these absurdly powerful special attacks that can be used at will. Final Eclipse. Why would Zodiark ever, EVER, even consider using anything other than Final Eclipse every round (sometimes twice)? Average damage ~115 (max 200), blinds without a save (permanently I guess), and has high DC death-effect, that nothing is immune to. Casters will die from the damage after two of these and don't have the Fort to resist that death effect, while melee is permanently blinded. Too strong to be an at-will ability. His other options pale in comparison to the effects of Final Eclipse. I'd say this needs a recharge time. Piercing Gravity isn't quite as strong as this and has a recharge.

Then again, no caster is going to be anywhere near this guy out of fear of those devastating area effects, and since Zodiark doesn't have any way to move more than 200ft per round, nor any teleportation, nor any teleport-negation, he has only very weak offensive options against casters.

*shrug*

That's why I said this in one of my last posts:

... but I'm still looking for tips balance/improve them...  :rollseyes

... If you have tips on how to balance them, spit it out. Now.  :P
(just be aware that Zodiark and some of the other are intended to be broken like that, 'cause they really RAPES you ingame if you're not well prepared...)

The monsters are sculpted wonderfully, and the last Esper, Zodiark, is CR 25. Would you mind if I used these creatures for my Burning Wheel and Burning Warhammer games?

Although bkdubs123 says it's broken, you can use them, if you want.

The pics are actually the official artwork in one of the artbooks. Some of them are here, and other I grabbed from the wiki.... and thanks for the CR tip  :)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »
I don't necessarily say the last few monsters are broken, just that they have an attack or two that just seem out of line too powerful. If Zodiark only used Final Eclipse while at or below 50% health, I'd be a lot more okay with it, and if it had a recharge time I'd be even more okay. After doing that you could take some more liberty with him and give him a better way to control casters.

(just be aware that Zodiark and some of the other are intended to be broken like that, 'cause they really RAPES you ingame if you're not well prepared...)

While I realize that they have those kinds of effects in the video game, you also have things like Phoenix Downs, and save points in the video game, whereas in DnD, if a character dies, it takes a spellcaster to revive him, and if the party dies, it's time to start a new campaign. *shrug*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:30:34 PM by bkdubs123 »

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2009, 12:40:22 AM »

Although bkdubs123 says it's broken, you can use them, if you want.

The pics are actually the official artwork in one of the artbooks. Some of them are here, and other I grabbed from the wiki.... and thanks for the CR tip  :)

Thanks! This is great, the art will work well for the Burning Warhammer game I'm starting.
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »
Just nerfed Chaos, Ultima and Zodiark....

And should I nerf Chaos's chaosjets as well (as in, reduce their HD)?

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2009, 11:23:32 PM »
Messed again on Ultima's and Zodiark's abilities...

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »

I'll get to this when I can read and determine what you've done with things.

And should I nerf Chaos's chaosjets as well (as in, reduce their HD)?

But I don't think this is particularly necessary. I really Chaos, or the record.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2009, 02:31:32 AM »
I really like Chaos. That's what I was trying to say...  :blush
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 04:12:46 AM by bkdubs123 »

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »

I'll get to this when I can read and determine what you've done with things.

Basically, I messed around with those guys' AoE abilities (reduce damage, nerf its effects)...

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
Edited Zodiark's Final Eclipse's death effect...

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2009, 11:33:09 PM »
Well... time for more critters...

Initially, I was going to make the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, but I am still developing the ideas for them... so I decided to work with.... something more feathery for the time being...

Uriel
Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Lawful)
HD 15d8+75 (142 HP)
Speed 40 ft (8 squares), fly 100 ft. (20 squares) (perfect)
Init: 9
AC 33; touch 14; flat-footed 28
(-1 size, +5 Dex, +19 Natural)
BAB +15; Grp +27
Attack +4 axiomatic flaming burst large bastard sword +27 melee (2d8+12, 17-20/x2+ 1d6 fire damage)
Full-Attack +4 axiomatic flaming burst large bastard sword +27/+22/+17 (2d8+12, 17-20/x2+ 1d6 fire damage)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks judgement, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities damage reduction 10/chaotic, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 10, low-light vision, immunity to acid, fire, and petrification, protective aura, resistance to electricity 10 and ice 10, spell resistance 25, tongues
Saves Fort +14 Ref +14 Will +15
Abilities Str 26, Dex 20, Con 21, Int 21, Wis 23, Cha 22
Skills Balance +23, Bluff +24, Concentration +23, Diplomacy +26, Intimidate +26, Knowledge (arcana) +23, Knowledge (religion) +23, Knowledge (the planes) +23, Listen +24, Sense Motive +24, Spot +24, Tumble +23, Use Magic Device +24
Feats Empower Spell-like Ability, Improved Critical (bastard sword), Improved Initiative, Law Devotion, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bastard sword)
Challenge Rating 15
Treasure None
Alignment LN

In Abrahamic religion, Uriel was a high ranking archangel who was listed as the fourth angel that represented the four cardinal points, the others being Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. Although he is never mentioned by name in any of the widely accepted holy scriptures, he came to be known as Uriel which means "Flame of God" for his depiction of holding a flaming sword. He is said to carry the stars in the sky, and on the final day of judgement, he will oversee the resurrection and retribution of human souls.

Uriel is a 15 feet tall blue-skinned blonde man with feathery wings, wearing a red armor and wielding a magical sword imbued with the power of fire.

Uriel is the cardinal angel of the north.

Combat

Uriel starts combat by trying to affect as many enemies as possible with his judgement ability, then uses his various enhancing spell-like abilities and his Law Devotion feat to engage melee combat. Whenever Uriel goes for a full attack, he will use his blades of fire spell-like ability to add some damage. Uriel will occasionally use his flame strike and orb of fire to deal some damage from range.

Judgement (Su): Uriel unleashes a wave of fire, burning all enemies on its path. Once per day as a standard action, all creatures in a 60 ft cone takes 15d8 points of fire damage (Reflex save DC 23 half). Additionally, all creatures affected by this ability takes 10 additional points of fire damage whenever they take fire damage for 1 minute.

Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by chaotic creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of Uriel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against chaos effect and a lesser globe of invulnerabilitySpell-like abilities: at will: blades of fireSpC, flame strike (DC 21), orb of fireSpC (DC 20); 2/day: quickened burning swordSpC, quickened divine favor, quickened haste, wall of fire (DC 20). Caster level 15th. Saves are Charisma based.

Tongues (Su): Uriel can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2009, 03:27:24 AM »
Most bishonen angel evah...