Author Topic: Working on a Dragon Mount  (Read 5459 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Working on a Dragon Mount
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »
So, I'm currently working on a Zhentarim Skymage GOD Wizard who'll probably use a Dragon as his mount.

Since Zhentarim Skymage's Flying Mount ability only mentions HD I can add a template or 2. Does anyone have any ideas for some good templates to a Dragon?

Currently I'm going with a Loredrake Red Dragon as the base creature.
I'll probably pick either Half-White Dragon or Half-Silver Dragon for certain, to take care of the Red's Cold Vulnerability.

Phrenic and Half-Fiend also seem like pretty good options.

I'd like to stay away from undead templates though, purely because I want to keep the dragon's killer Con score and I don't really like the idea of an undead for this guy (and I'll have a Silver Flamer in the party :P)

Does anyone have any other ideas for some good templates? All books are allowed.

Aside from the mechanical side, I could use some help with fluff as well, especially since this is for an Eberron campaign. How would you guys justify having a Dragon mount in that specific setting?

Thanks in advance for any replies and tips and whatnot :)
~Bowen
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:49:18 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Working on a Dragon Mount
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:03:20 PM »
Currently I'm going with a Loredrake Red Dragon as the base creature.
I'll probably pick either Half-White Dragon or Half-Silver Dragon for certain, to take care of the Red's Cold Vulnerability.
Why not white dragonspawn?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:06:51 PM »
That can be added to a dragon? I thought it was humanoid and monstrous humanoid only...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »
That can be added to a dragon? I thought it was humanoid and monstrous humanoid only...
I could have sworn half-dragon couldn't be added to dragons either...
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
Half-Dragon can be added to any living, corporeal creature :)

Gorbash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
Wow, as far as stupid races go, this one is by far the stupidest... Half-Red, Half-Silver, does that make a... Pink Dragon? :twitch
I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »
Hehe, I like to think of it as Red with some Silver highlights :P

Gorbash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
And how exactly did that union occur? Red and Silvers hate each other passionately, and I really can't imagine one dragon raping another... Why not just get a ring of Cold Resistance, or cast Energy Resistance on him regularly? Everything's better than a pink dragon... :/
I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
Half-Red / Half-Silver Faerie Dragon? :)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
Why Faerie Dragon? Those are medium or something and severely inferior to Reds...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »
And how exactly did that union occur? Red and Silvers hate each other passionately, and I really can't imagine one dragon raping another... Why not just get a ring of Cold Resistance, or cast Energy Resistance on him regularly? Everything's better than a pink dragon... :/
1) Eberron
2) Not pink. That's like saying a Black/White mating would result in a checkered dragon...

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
Or a Gray dragon, the dull ones of the species. No one talks about them because they're so dreary.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 06:45:40 PM »
Yeah...

Anywho, can we get back on topic, guys?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
2) Not pink. That's like saying a Black/White mating would result in a checkered dragon...
Forgotten Chessmaster? :smirk
My work

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »
Forgotten Chessmaster? :smirk
No, I remembered that one :)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
Are you going to be limited in the number of templates? Or can we get as crazy possible?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »
Technically I'm not limited, although I would like to limit it to 3, max. 4 templates...

Current thoughts are Half-Silver Dragon, Phrenic, possibly Half-Fiend...

Also, any help with the fluff of having a Dragon mount in Eberron would be greatly appreciated :)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
Also, any help with the fluff of having a Dragon mount in Eberron would be greatly appreciated :)
All Dragons are motivated strongly by the Prophecy, so this would be even more of a partnership than having a dragon mount normally would be. If a dragon is helping you, it's highly likely that it believes you have an important part to play in the Prophecy.
My work

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
I was looking at the Prophecy, yes. Any ideas concerning this specific part of the prophecy? Or any sufficient threats to the prophecy or the world that would make a dragon cooperate with a mere humanoid?

The campaign will likely feature a cult of the Dragon Below as (one of) the primary antagonist(s), so we should be able to come up with some ideas/fluff involving that, right?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 07:14:27 PM »
I was looking at the Prophecy, yes. Any ideas concerning this specific part of the prophecy? Or any sufficient threats to the prophecy or the world that would make a dragon cooperate with a mere humanoid?
Dragons rarely bother explaining such complex matters to mere mortals. :eh (or immortals, for that matter)
My work