Author Topic: D&D Play-testing [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 11755 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: D&D Play-testing [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2009, 09:15:38 AM »
Bkdubs123, I see where you're coming from comparing the strength of the feats.  The reason I added high bonus to the feat was because of what you lose by using a shield.  You lose the ability to make meaningful Power Attacks, and unless you're using a spinning sword or kusari gama, you lose reach.

Perhaps the rate at which the feat scales can be tweaked, and I think some testing will give us a better idea.  I think Kuroimaken is right in that by the time you're getting a serious bonus from this feat, AC begins to matter less and less.

Also, AlterFrom, I forgot to ask you earlier.  Where's the extreme shield from?  It looks like you're getting +3 AC from it, but other than that, I've never heard of it.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
 :( God.

I really gotta make time to come back to this, before its too late. *sigh*
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2009, 11:26:11 AM »
Extreme Shield is from Races of Stone.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »
I agree with bk overall. +11 AC and Ref vs damage is too much for one feat. It's far beyond the accepted powerlevel of feats in 3.5. And then one more feat and you have +11 to touch AC too.

BK's feats are better, but I'll point out that a fighter that spends (one of) his swift actions on Impenetrable Glare every round, would have +8 to AC from his shield vs one guy. Extreme shield would be +10.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2009, 01:12:20 PM »
Extreme Shield is from Races of Stone.
Thanks.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2009, 02:37:15 PM »
So it's pretty obvious that PCs built with these rules are going to be stronger than what the CR rating for mosnters suggests.  I'm thinking I might try designing some encounters with raised CR to raise the encounter level, increasing more at higher levels.  Something like this:

Party     EL
Level
16        17 - 19
20        21 - 23

Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2009, 02:43:40 PM »
I think that is a fine idea for a test, just to see how it goes, but I think you should also, heavily "optimize" the standard CR encounter Monsters. Min/Mix their ability scores, tool up their feats, make them more dangerous, and then see if that helps anything.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
I'll add this kobold sorcerer.

[spoiler=Level 1 Kobold Sorcerer by RobbyPants]Kobold Sorcerer (Draconic Heritage - Blue)
Str 4 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 8 Cha 18

Init +2   Spot -1, Listen +3
Languages: Common, Draconic
HP: 9
AC 14   Touch 13      FF 12
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +1
Melee: Dagger -5, 1d3-3
Ranged: Acid Splash +3 touch, 1d6 acid, 25ft; Light crossbow +3, 1d6, 80ft
BAB: +0   Grapple: -7
Abilities: Darkvision 60'
Feats: Extend Spell, Draconic Heritage(Blue)(sor1), Toughness(flaw)
Flaws: Non-combatant
Skills: Concentration +6, Escape Artist +4, Knowledge(Arcana) +2, Listen +3, Spellcraft +4
Spells: 0 x unlimited, 1 x 4
   0 Acid Splash, Daze, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Resistance
   1 Enlarge Person, Mage Armor, Magic Missile

Gear:Light Crossbow, Spell component pouch x 3, Dagger[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Level 6 Kobold Sorcerer by RobbyPants]Kobold Sorcerer (Draconic Heritage - Blue)
Str 4 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 8 Cha 19 (21)

Init +6   Spot -1, Listen +8
Languages: Common, Draconic
HP: 36
AC 21   Touch 13      FF 19
Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +5
Melee: Dagger -2, 1d3-3
Ranged: Acid Splash +6 touch, 1d6 acid, 40ft; Light crossbow +6, 1d6, 80ft
BAB: +3   Grapple: -4
Abilities: Darkvision 60', Rat Familiar (+2 Fort)
Feats: Extend Spell, Draconic Heritage(Blue)(sor1), Toughness(flaw), Improved Initiative, Draconic Power(sor4), Energy Substitution(Electricity)
Flaws: Non-combatant
Skills: Concentration +11, Escape Artist +6, Knowledge(Arcana) +5, Listen +8, Spellcraft +9
Spells: 0 x unlimited, 1 x 7, 2 x 6, 3 x 4
   0 Acid Splash, Daze, Detect Magic, Mending, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Resistance
   1 Charm Person, Enlarge Person, Grease*, Magic Missile, Silent Image, True Casting
   2 Glitterdust*, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray, Shatter
   3 Fireball, Haste
  * Advanced Learning

Gear:+1 Twilight Mithril Light Chain, +1 Mithril Buckler, Cloak of Charisma +2 & Resistance +1, Light Crossbow, Spell component pouch x 3, Dagger[/spoiler]
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
Are you still using the T3 rubric?
Will you run existing comparable classes in the same tests?
i don't think the changes are that far out of line with, The TOB and the such...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:17 PM »
A control group, per se?  That makes sense.

Are you thinking of running a party of "modified" PCs and a party of "unmodified" tier 3 PCs through the same fights for comparision?  I think that would yield more info than mixing modified and unmodified classes in the same party.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »
A control group, per se?  That makes sense.

Are you thinking of running a party of "modified" PCs and a party of "unmodified" tier 3 PCs through the same fights for comparision?  I think that would yield more info than mixing modified and unmodified classes in the same party.

EXACTLY.
Scientific Method FTW!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
I'm curious about what you think of some revised encounters.  I haven't changed much regarding feats, but I've increased the EL for the level 1 and 6 encounters.  What do you think?

Level 1 (EL 1 1/2 - 2):
[spoiler]6 Tiny Monstrous Spiders

5 Dire Rats

3 Level 1 Kobold Warriors (Longsword, Full leather armor, Tower shield) and
3 Level 1 Kobold Warriors (Light crossbow, short sword, Light leather armor)

3 Level 1 Orc Warriors (Longsword, Longbow, Full leather armor, heavy wooden shield)

3 Human Commoner Zombies

3 Medium Monstrous Centepedes

Medium Animated Object (Table - Speed 50', hardness 5)

Bugbear (* Iron Will, replace Alertness)[/spoiler]

Level 6 (EL 7 - 8 ):
[spoiler]3 Minotaurs

Huge Animated Object (Stone Statue - Tall, Speed 30', hardness 8 ) and
Huge Animated Object (Rug - Long, Speed 20', Blind, Constrict)

2 Basalisks

2 Dire Lions

2 Wraiths

Dire Bear

Young Red Dragon

Huge Fire Elemental

Hill Giant[/spoiler]

______

Also, does anyone want to roll up some tier 3 "control" PCs?  Midnight_V makes a good point that we should have some other PCs for comparison.  While I own ToB, my ToB-fu isn't that great, so I probably shouldn't be rolling any up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:36:29 AM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »
Also, for reference, here's a list of tier 3 classes from JaronK's thread that haven't been modified here:

Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Crusader, Bard, Swordsage, Binder (without access to the summon monster vestige), Duskblade, Factotum, and Warblade.

The Psychic Warrior is also on that list, but we've opted to add additional power points.  I don't think this is enough to warrent a serious change, so if there are no objections, I think the PW could also be used as a control character, if anyone is interested.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
The Psychic Warrior is also on that list, but we've opted to add additional power points.  I don't think this is enough to warrent a serious change, so if there are no objections, I think the PW could also be used as a control character, if anyone is interested.

Hmm... I'll do it. It was my grand argument anyway, that it actually was tier 3 (low) A few more pp and its solid in the middle. . . or not but anything for a gauge.

Though I gotta now what is the analog role I should be making it as.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »
Though I gotta now what is the analog role I should be making it as.
Role?  As in tank, skill monkey, etc?

I'm not sure how much those matter.  I mean, you'd want a group to have it's bases covered, and roles are one way to do that, but it's not the only way.

For now, people have just been submitting various PCs, most only at level 1.  I figured we'd select four at a time to run through various encounters.  So, whatever your PW does, you could probably select three other PCs around it.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »
Any thoughts on the power level of the tenative encounters I suggested here?  I was aiming to get the EL higher than the level of the party, but not by too much.  Although, depending on what gets changed with Shield Specialization (if anything), it might make some differene...
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2009, 04:44:18 PM »
[spoiler=Halfling Druid 6 by Soda]Halfling Druid 6
Str 10 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 19 Cha 8

Init +3   Spot +13, Listen +13
Languages: Common, Halfling
HP: 42
AC 20   Touch 14      FF 17
Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +12   [+2 vs Fear]
Melee: Shortspear +5, 1d4   [+9 ranged, 20ft]
Ranged: Sling +9, 1d3, 50ft   [+1 attack and damage 30ft, PBS]
      Magic Stone +10, 1d6+1, 50ft   [2d6+2 vs Undead]
      Produce Flame +9 touch, 1d6+3, 120ft max
BAB: +4   Grapple: +0   [Escape Artist +4]
Abilities:
Qualities: Animal Companion (black bear), Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Natural Bond, Ashbound
Flaws: Noncombatant
Skills: [-1 ACP] Spot +13, Listen +13, Escape Artist +4, Know Nature +5, Handle Animal +4, Ride +6, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Climb +1, Jump +1
Spells: 8/5/3/2
   5 Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Purify Food and Drink, Mending, Know Direction, Detect Poison, Light
   4 Magic Stone, Produce Flame, Entangle, Faerie Fire, Magic Fang, Summon Nature's Ally I
   4 Bite of the Wererat, Mass Snake's Swiftness, Nature's Favor, Summon Nature's Ally II
   3 Sleet Storm, Ice Lance, Summon Nature's Ally III
Gear: +2 Full leather armor (4350), Cloak of Resistance +2 (4000), Healing Belt (750), Periapt of Wisdom +2 (4000)

Companion: Black Bear, Medium Animal
HP: 52 (7 HD)
Initiative +2
Speed: 40ft
AC: 20, touch 12, flat-footed 18   (+2 Dex, +6 natural, +2 armor)
BAB/Grapple: +5; +10
Attack: Claw +11 (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +11 (1d6+5) and Bite +5 (1d6+2)
Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Link, Share Spells, Evasion, Devotion
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +3
Abilities: Str 21 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 6
Skills: Climb +6, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +10
Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (claw), Improved Natural Attack
Gear: Light leather barding[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Elf Ranger 6 by Soda]Elf Ranger 6
Str 14 Dex 18 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 8

Init +4   Spot +12, Listen +12
Languages: Common, Elven
HP: 37
AC 18   Touch 13      FF 14
Fort +8, Ref +11, Will +5   [+2 vs enchantments]
Melee: Shortsword +6/+1, 1d6+2
Ranged: Longbow +12/+7, 1d8+3 plus 1d6 cold   [+1, +1 PBS]
         +10/+10/+5, 1d8+3 plus 1d6 cold with Rapid Shot
         +8, 2d8+6 plus 2d6 cold with Manyshot

BAB: +6/+1   Grapple: +8
Abilities: Wild Empathy
Qualities: Favored Enemy (monstrous humanoids +4, magical beasts +2), Animal Companion
Feats: Track, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Endurance, Point Blank Shot, Precise ShotF, Weapon FocusF, Swift and Silent(pftg), Woodland Archer(rotw)
Flaws: Noncombatant, Vulnerable
Skills: [-1 ACP] Hide +12, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Search +11, Spot +12, Survival +10
Spells: Hunter's Mercy x2
Gear: +1 Full leather (1350), +1 Darkwood Composite Longbow (2600), 20 Cold Iron Arrows, 10 Silver Arrows, adamantine arrow, Cloak of Resistance +2 (4000), Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (3000), Healing Belt (750), Antitoxin, 2 Human Bane arrows (200), Aberration bane arrow, dragon bane arrow

Animal Companion: Riding Dog
HP: 57 (6 HD)
Initiative +3
Speed: 40ft
AC: 23, touch 13, flat-footed 20   (+3 Dex, +8 natural armor, +2 armor)
BAB/Grapple: +4; +7
Attack: Bite +8, 1d6+3
Qualities: Low-light vision, Scent, Link, Share Spells, Evasion, Devotion
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +2
Abilities: Str 17 Dex 17 Con 15 Int 2 Wis 12 Cha 6
Skills: Hide +5, Jump +7, Listen +3 Move Silently +5, Spot +2, Survival +3 (+4 Survival while tracking by scent)
Feats: Track, Weapon Focus (bite), Toughness, Improved Toughness
Gear: Light leather barding[/spoiler]

Both of these need to buy gear. I'm so bad at shopping.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:30:46 PM by Soda »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »
I guess I'll wait to post those on the front until they have new gear.

...or did you want us to suggest some items?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »
Well, I have no idea what to get.  :p

[spoiler=Human Paladin 6]Human Paladin 6
Str 14 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 18

Init +0   Spot +1, Listen +1
Languages: Common
HP: 50
AC 25   Touch 15      FF 25
Fort +11, Ref +6, Will +7      [+1 vs spells, +5 Ref vs half damage]
Immune to Fear, Disease
Melee: Longsword +9/+3, 1d8+2
Ranged: Light crossbow +4, 1d8
BAB: +6/+1   Grapple: +8
Abilities: Detect Evil, Smite 2/encounter, Lay on Hands, Turn Undead 7/day, Pancean Touch
Qualities: Aura of Good, Divine Grace, Aura of Courage, Divine Health, Argent Bastion
Feats: Goad, Shield Specialization, Nymph's Kiss, Law Devotion, Shield Ward*, Awesome Smite
Flaws: Shaky
Skills: [ACP -6] Diplomacy +17, Intimidate +15, Knowledge (religion) +5, Sense Motive +10, Use Magic Device +10
Spells: CL 3
Gear: +1 Full plate (2500), +2 heavy steel shield (4000), cloak of charisma +2 (4000), Mwk Longsword[/spoiler]
I'm not really happy with how this turned out but meh. I gave him umd for the hell of it, any ideas what to do with it? Can you take ability focus goad?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:43:42 PM by Soda »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2009, 12:54:29 PM »
Well, let's see...

Druid
Yeah, you don't really need to worry about Wilding Clasps anymore, and you're using the animal companion variant anyway.  A wand of Entangle might be nice.  You don't need to worry about the save too much, because it halves their speed even if their save is successful.  A wand of Splinterbolt (SpC) might be a nice backup "weapon".  Other than that, a Periapt of Wisdom +2, and perhaps a Dex and/or Con booster?  You can also blow money to pimp the black bear a bit.

Ranger
Why did you get a darkwood bow for the ranger?  Is there some advantage other than a weight reduction?  Upgrading the bow to use +2 points of Str will increase your damage.  You could possibly get him some arrows of different materials (adamantine, silver, and cold iron).  If you're looking for a cheap way to increase the damage on the bow, consider a lesser Energy Assault crystal (3,000 gp for +1d6 energy damage).  You can only put one on at a time, but it's cheaper than upgrading from a +1 bow to a +2 bow.  Gloves of Dex +2 couldn't hurt.  A cloak of Resistance +2 could be nice (or +1 if running low on money).  Boots of Striding and Springing are a bit pricy for that level but doable, and the added mobility might help for an archer.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]