Author Topic: D&D Play-testing [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 11757 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: D&D Play-testing [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
Also, are we running a 28 point buy?  That's what Soda suggested and it's what he used in his druid, and SKRP used for his barbarian.  We never discused it any further.  I suppose I should put that in the first post.

Also, SKRP, I'll add your barbarian.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »
I added some official rules to the first post.  There are still some things that need to be cleared up.

Per Soda's suggestions, I changed the levels from 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20 to 1, 6, 11, 16, and 20.  This was to test out melee iteratives.  Other than that, it seems like a complete wash, differeng from class to class.

How do we want to actually handle encounters?  I have a few general questions:

1) How do we set encounter distance?  Should it be random?  1d10 x 10 feet?  1d20 x 10?

2) How do we handle surprise?  Are both sides assumed to be aware?  If we don't factor in terrain, is it even possible for one side to hide?

3) Are we assuming a wide open battlefield with no cover?  Are we going to vary terrain?  The only random way I could see doing it is looking at the DMG, where they have random distances for things like trees, so you'd know you're 1dX squares away from cover.  Wide open is certainly more simple.

4) How long between fights?  One hour?  Some random amount?  The more randomness we add in, the more odd this testing might get.

5) How do we actually want to run this?  Are people going to run their own private tests, post the round-by-round activities and the results?  Are we going to PbP?  I'm affraid PbP could be very slow.  As long as the specifics are posted in the thread, we can trace through to see if it looks like a result of dice luck, good tactics, bad tactics, or something simply being too weak or too powerful.

So, what are your thoughts?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 10:38:05 AM »
1) How do we set encounter distance?  Should it be random?  1d10 x 10 feet?  1d20 x 10?

2) How do we handle surprise?  Are both sides assumed to be aware?  If we don't factor in terrain, is it even possible for one side to hide?

3) Are we assuming a wide open battlefield with no cover?  Are we going to vary terrain?  The only random way I could see doing it is looking at the DMG, where they have random distances for things like trees, so you'd know you're 1dX squares away from cover.  Wide open is certainly more simple.
I have a suggestion for this one, make up a set of preset scenario maps(with a mix of regular, ambush, close quarters, indoors etc), and define which one happens by % dice roll. PCs get dropped into it at a random spot, based on a predefined party formation.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »
It'd be more complicated, but it might be worth it.

So, how would we present these?  Set up an initial JPG with a grid to show terrain and monster locations, as well as monster stats?  Should the four PCs starting positions be fixed?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »
You can host this on the Arena if you want (Though something chat-based would probably work better)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »
Chat based would be a lot better than PbP.  My only concern is finding time where several of us could meet at the same time for anywhere from half-an-hour to a couple of hours.  My free time is fairly sparse, and frequently interupted.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
It'd be more complicated, but it might be worth it.

So, how would we present these?  Set up an initial JPG with a grid to show terrain and monster locations, as well as monster stats?  Should the four PCs starting positions be fixed?

Just plonk down some markers denoting spawn points, and roll for them as well. Wouldn't need more than 4 or so for the PCs, assuming they get placed as a group. Add a dozen or so for the monsters, and you're set(just to keep the temptation of lobbing spells blindly at a confirmed spawn point down).
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
I figured the members of the party could list their marching order.  At least, in my experience, that is fairly static for the group unless they specifically say otherwise.  Now, marching order doesn't have to mean a straight line either.  Sometimes they're more in a square or so.  Either way, you seldom get the wizard leading the way up front!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »
We could go as far as letting skill rolls improve your position at the start. Like turning an ambush into an straight fight if someone in the party is scouting and makes some rolls.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
The only reason I'm thinking about avoiding surprise is that it makes the testing much more random, and leaves more room for it to give misleading results.  Obviously some randomness is necessary, but I'm wondering if this should be left out.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 09:58:18 PM »
Build it into the map, if the map has the appropriate terrain, and monsters spawn in ambush positions relative to the PCs, skill checks to avoid surprise are par for the course.

This of course, assumes that encounters find players, not the other way round(which is much much more complicated, with any prepared caster).
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
That was my idea (encounters finding players).  As for time between encounters, I'm torn.

Using set intervals like one hour makes it very easy to metagame and buff ahead of time (assuming the duration is too short to last multiple encounters).  Although randomly determining the time between adds to the chaos, and can give wierd results.  If the time were random, the players couldn't know about it, or they would just buff up two rounds before the fight.

Perhaps it's assumed the party can't have any buffs up ahead of time with a duration shorter than an hour.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 10:55:13 PM »
Buff time eh, I think anything with hours duration can be raised before a fight, if the player opts to, minutes and 10 minutes, well, you just need a bigger map, and spot the monsters before they spot you back. Nobody said you had to immediately open fire and alert them to know that you know that they are there.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 10:13:08 AM »
I've come up with a tenative list of ten 1st level encounters.  I'm curious what you think.  Are there any holes that need to be filled (types not represented)?  Does it seem like a good spread?  I was thinking of assigning a number to each encounter, and rolling 1d10 to determine what the PCs would encounter each time.  When I get a chance, I'll actually stat the encounters up later.

[spoiler=Level 1 encounters]Monstrous Centipede, Small x 4

Goblin Warrior 1 x 3

Dire Rat x 3

Human Commoner Zombie x 2

War Pony +
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 12:42:38 PM »
I've also worked up some tenative level six and eleven encounters.  I'm trying to get a good mix of different types of monsters to test different types of encounters.  Any thoughts?

[spoiler=Level 6]
Ogre Zombie x 3

Minotaur x 2++ Ogre

Troll + Ogre

Wraith +x 4

Erinyes Devil x 3

Fire Elemental, Greater x 2

Monstrous Centipede, Colossal x 2

Spirit Naga x 2

Night Hag + Hill Giant x 2

Rakshasa + Efreeti

Barbed Devil

Green Dragon, Young Adult

Hezrou Demon[/spoiler]

Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:28 PM »
My attempt to create a low level s&b fighter. Due to Two-Weapon Parry he becomes a flanking machine. Handy in combination with any rogue. Very resistant on his own.

[spoiler=Human Fighter 1]Human Fighter 1
Str 14 Dex 16 Con 16 Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 8

Init +3   Spot +7, Listen +7
Movement 30 ft. (land speed)
Languages: Common
HP: 16
AC 23   Touch 13      FF 20
Fort +5 [+6 during rage], Ref +3 [+6 to Reflex save for half damage], Will +0
Melee: Battle Axe +3 (+1 while using Two-Weapon Parry), 1d8+2/x3
Ranged: Shortbow +0, 1d6/x3, 60ft
BAB: +1   Grapple: +3
Special Abilities: Weapon Aptitude, Active Defense
Feats: Shield Specialization (heavy), Toughness, Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Parry
Flaws: Shaky
Skills: Intimidate 3, Listen 4, Ride 1, Sense Motive 4 and Spot 4.
Gear: Light plate, Heavy Shield, Battle Axe [/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »
Sweet!  You beat me to it.  I was all set to create one too.

Also, I never put in costs for the armors.  I should probably do that.  I'll keep them in line with their PHB equivalents.  This puts light plate at 200 gp, so I'm not sure if you'll have enough money for that.

Also, I noticed a typo where you left the barbarian's rage modifier for Fort in the fighter's entry.  No biggie. ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:31:44 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »
Sweet!  You beat me to it.  I was all set to create one too.

I think that you should focus on 6th or 11th level s&b paladin with Argent Bastion specialization. I feel sweet synergy there ;)

Also, I never put in costs for the armors.  I should probably do that.  I'll keep them in line with their PHB equivalents.  This puts light plate at 200 gp, so I'm not sure if you'll have enough money for that.

Average starting gold for fighter is 150 gp. Nah. Could you change his armor to Full mail?

Here comes Elven Rogue, master of ranged sneak attacks (very good when teamed up with s&b fighter).

[spoiler=Elf Rogue 1]Elf Rogue 1
Str 10 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 8

Init +4    Listen: +6 Spot: +6
Movement 30 ft. (land speed)
Languages: Common, Elven
HP: 8
AC 15   Touch 13      FF 11
Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +0 (+2 against enchantment)
Melee:Ranged: Longbow +4 (or +2/+2), 1d8/x3 [in 30 ft. range: longbow +5 (or +3/+3), 1d8+1/x3]
BAB: +0   Grapple: +0 [Escape Artist +8]
Special Abilities: Immunity to magic sleep effects, low-light vision, elven weapon proficiencies, sneak attack +1d6, trapfinding
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
Flaws: Vulnerable
Skills: Balance +8, Escape Artist +8, Hide +8, Listen +6, Search +6, Sense Motive +4, Sleight of Hand +8, Spot +6, Tumble +8
Gear: Light leather, long bow, quiver with 40 arrows[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
I'm surprised you didn't give him TWF to team up. ;)

I'll make a note of the armor change and add the rogue.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
1. I'm posting so this come up in my "replied/subscribed threads"
2. I think there should be multiple kinds of tests run.
Since there is no best "playtest" as we learned from paizils and co.
2a. At some point (and not know cause I see you're already making headway in this direction.
A comparision of how the classes that were already considered "Tier 3" would be operating under a similar array of conditions.
2b. Testing will not be quick.  It took us 6-8 months to get together all we have and it'll take around that long to QC it. So let me know what if anything I can do to help you guys out.

M_v.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"