Author Topic: The Prologue (1941) - Part I  (Read 97771 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: The Prologue (1941)
« Reply #780 on: July 10, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
Richard goes downstairs, his curiosity piqued.  At least with this new map he'll finally have an idea of where he'll be taking these people next.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #781 on: July 11, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »
It didn't take long before Bones had gotten the boat anchored for the night. The river was quiet, and none had seen any other boats traveling. It was even less likely now that it was evening.

Bones, and the Kid joined Pingo and the rest in the Salon. He came in wearing a huge smile, and went straight to the bar for another drink.

"This is reason enough to celebrate, fellas. Help yourself to the bar! I've got it VERY well stocked, and if you check underneath, you will find the Orino Perro Moonshine as well. STRONG, but good stuff!" He says just as he raises his own glass to his lips.

"My home is your home. Treat it with respect, and you can have the run of it. I've got 3 bunks that aren't spoken for in the room down the hall. Whomever's in there gets to share the room with the Kid. I've got the one couch in here. Pretty much it is 'fend for yourself' here.

"I'm willing to work first watch, but how do you want to go about this? There are 10 of us who can stand watch-- that including the two boys upstairs with the mules, and the horse. I'm going to leave it up to you to decide though. I'll fit in where I can.

"We have two nights on the Halcon-- tomorrow we'll be traveling the river all day, and we'll stop again when the dark comes. The next day after that though, we'll make it to 'Machete Landing', where the old Mission was."
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #782 on: July 11, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »
Loder sits at the rounded couch and lays out both of Dunning's maps on the table as well as his letters.  He looks over each of them intently searching for any additional information that may not be apparent.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #783 on: July 11, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »
Eisen takes a seat at the end of the couch, "I'd prefer the first shift, and a chair to sleep in afterwards, if that's not a problem." He then takes out his kit for cleaning, lays his handgun on the table, and starts cleaning his rifle, keeping the handgun not a foot away from the cloth for easy access. "Let's hope Bones is right, and cannibals don't climb onboard and kill us in our sleep, yes?" Once finished with the rifle, which takes him a militantly short period of time, he does his handgun likewise, and then starts shuffling around the bar for food, hoping to not need to use another ration pack.

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • a scarily accurate self protrait... no seriously
    • Email
« Reply #784 on: July 12, 2009, 08:04:14 PM »
Russo pours himself a drink of something dark and strong takes a sip and almost spits is back out when he sees what Loader is pawing over

"Is that what I think it is!? This must be the most detailed map he made!" he settles excitedly over Loader's shoulder again "was this what the Nazi were after when they dug the poor guy up?"
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"
"Whether it's laughable or irrational
This is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our bear hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!"

ORE GA DARE DA TO OMOTE YARU!!!!!!

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #785 on: July 13, 2009, 12:54:27 PM »
Loder grins. "For a man dying, he gave us the only map we will need! Look at this Russo-- see how he wrote this in his own blood? Poor bastard..."

Bones hands out drinks to the rest of the men, and kicks back in a chair. "All these years..." he says shaking his head. A wry smirk on his face. "I've been hunting for Dunning's damned city all of these years, and this whole time... the map had been in that little village. When I first came to Orino Perro, I knew that there had been rumors connecting Dunning to that place, but even after becoming close to the villagers, they never even mentioned it to me."

"Maybe they didn't think it was important, or perhaps they thought maybe you'd dig up the poor man to hunt through his belongings... Who knows? Doesn't matter now though. I guess maybe NOW was the right time?" Loder lets out a large audible yawn. "I'm going to hit the sack gentlemen. Down the hall, Bones?" Bones nodded.

"Alright. I'll see you all in the morning." Loder says. He picked up the book that the old woman had given to him, and he tucked the map back in amongst the pages where it had originally fallen from.

[Max, you have no trouble committing the details of the map to memory.]
Current PbP Games

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #786 on: July 13, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »
"So, judging from that map, will we be facing any major obstacles on our journey to that lost city?" John asks as he kicks back on the couch with a glass of the stuff Bones took with him from the village.

"By the way Eisen, if you want first watch, I'll take second."
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #787 on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
"In his own blood, Jesus. He must have been desperate," Russo takes Loader's place at the table and nurses his drink staring deeply into the dark liquid "why I wonder would he have been so desperate to show others the location of this place? Judging from what happened to him (and whats happened to us so far) it seems like this place is nothing but a whole shit-heap of trouble" Russo mumbles to nobody in particular his head nodding slowly into sleep, lost in his own thoughts it doesn't take him long to fall asleep on the couch the mostly full glass still on the table.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:04:25 PM by Tarotdragoon »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #788 on: July 13, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »
Bones scratches his stubble with a thoughtful finger. "No obstacles that we can't handle. There is a large ravine that may be a problem, but that is assuming the rope bridge that Dunning drew on the map has fallen over the last twenty or so years.

"It could still be there, for all I know. The maps takes us deep into unexplored territory. Richard, Max and I should be able to get us through it no problem."
Bones downs his drink in another gulp.

"Ahhh! Good shit!" He says wiping his mouth. "There seemed to be some sort of swampland we'll have to navigate as well beyond that, but I really don't foresee anything problematic as long as we can keep our feet dry. No need for jungle rotted toes.

"When we get to the old Mission, we can resupply if we need. I think that since Dunning had written about it in his letter it is still worth checking out. But I think that I can get us MUCH closer before we need to leave this old girl behind. I DON'T really want to leave it at the former Mission. They call it Machete Landing these days, but just cause they sell supplies to travelers, doesn't mean I like the idea of leaving this boat at their dock while we head inland.

"Unless you guys have any problems, I'd like to stop in real quick, check out the Mission and skip the village beyond all together. From what I saw on the map, I think I know of a tributary we can take that will get us awfully close to the first set of ruins Dunning had written about. From there, I'd say we can travel the old fashioned way from there.

"I'd feel better if we tied up El Halcon somewhere where only WE know about it. Savvy? Do any of you have anything to add? Richard? Max?"
Current PbP Games

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #789 on: July 13, 2009, 06:15:12 PM »
Richard quietly examines the map while the others talk around him.  When his name is said, he look up at Bones.  "Just be on the lookout for trouble, I'll get us where we need to go."

He then grabs his rifle and stands up, heading back to the deck of the ship.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Neull//

« Reply #790 on: July 14, 2009, 04:59:45 AM »

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #791 on: July 14, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »
[spoiler]though he can't voice his opinions right now Russo Intends to set up his guns on the bow and stern of deck when he next has a chance[/spoiler]
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: July 14, 2009, 01:23:53 PM »
Tuesday June, 10th 1941

Eisen
[spoiler]
Taking first shift assured a good night's rest of uninterrupted sleep-- that was one way of looking at it.
Eisen patrolled the deck and his two hours went by relatively quickly. Occasionally he stopped by the brothers, who were still playing cards. The language barrier prevented anything meaningful from being said, but the two men nodded and smiled in Eisen's direction when he did pass. Eventually, one of the times he came by the two had finally gone to bed. Sleeping right on the deck, but under the aft oiled-tarp roof.

Pingo had crawled into his hammock and was asleep nearly immediately. While walking the decks, Eisen passed the sleeping native countless times. He couldn't help but think upon what Max had said earlier in the day... about the possibility of demonic possession. Could it be true? Could Pingo be a host for a strange demonic entity that desired their destruction? Then again, Max had said that both Sgt. Kestrel and himself could easily be in possession by this... entity. But Pingo didn't stir. He slept soundly. The only sound that competed with the native's tongue-less snoring was the droning of the jungle rains which carried through the whole of his shift.

When Eisen last checked his watch it was nearing 0100. He discovered Sgt Kestrel downstairs in the Lounge where the man had apparently fallen asleep on the second of the two couches. Russo, had curled up on the rounded couch and didn't stir when Eisen nudged Kestrel awake. Kestrel nodded, and went to the upper deck, leaving Eisen downstairs.

Eisen settled upon a chair in the connecting Galley. He had found crackers and canned food in the cabinets here earlier, and the chair would serve his purpose of supporting him while he slept... but it guaranteed that he wouldn't sleep too soundly. No one wanted to wake up with their throat slit. He set his weapon on the galley table, and soon nodded off...[/spoiler]

Kestrel
[spoiler]
John must have fallen asleep on the couch, because that is where he was when Eisen found him for his shift. Russo had fallen asleep first that evening and was still asleep over on the other couch.

John made his way out into the hall, then knocked lightly on the door to Bones' cabin. Bones answered it, wearing a pair of boxer shorts. He said that he'd be up to help watch in a minute. Kestrel climbed to the upper deck, and found that it was drizzling. It was always drizzling though. It had a way of affecting a man's mood after awhile. At least, while you traveled on the boat, you were able to keep dry, even if it was always too warm and humid for comfort.

The night was alive with crickets and frogs, and the sounds of other creatures John couldn't even imagine. The jungle certainly was something he hadn't really had a chance to encounter before, and it's unfamiliar strangeness helped keep him on his toes.

Bones came up after a few moments, he was dressed now, wearing a clean pair of pants and shirt, He settled his hat upon his head before he stepped out into the drizzle so he could take a leak of the side of the boat into the river. The two men made small talk, Bones telling him a story or two from his days when he himself had first come down here.

He had lived in Philly, then in Chicago. He claimed to have known ten or so years earlier before the man was sent to prison for tax evasion. He talked about meeting the Kid in Tijuana when he had traveled south through Mexico. The boy had been living off the streets, and legitimately didn't know his own name. Most had just called him Pepito or kid. Bones took him under his wing, and the Kid had been like a little brother ever since.

Bones hit the sack again right around the time Kestrel went to wake up Richard for his shift, the Kestrel to joined him in slumber, once again returning to the couch in the lounge. Russo still slept soundly, and Eisen could be seen sleeping in the galley, propped up in his chair.[/spoiler]

Richard
[spoiler]The rains came down, and the heat dragged the sweat from every pore. It ran down your face, and salt stung your eyes. You were dirty, tired, and sick. Somehow you had all been poisoned. You vaguely remember that the priest that had traveled with your group had killed off the rest of them. Once you had reached the city it had only been a matter of time.

You knew the priest was evil, and you doubted that he was even human at this point. Looking down you saw that you had a grievous injury. Claw marks. Deep, and inflamed from infection. Jungle flies had been laying eggs in your wounds, and you could feel their larva squirming around just beneath your skin.

You felt an overwhelming sense of sadness. Of loss. You thought about your mother and how you would miss her.

Fever raged in your body, and you collapsed more times than you could keep track of, but you knew you must continue-- knew you must go on. You couldn't die like this, not out here in the jungle where none would mourn nor even know of your passing, save perhaps a carrion feeding animal. Or the worms.

You stopped once more to catch your breath-- it wasn't supposed to be for long-- but you suspect that you may have passed out again. You had a map that you had created-- one of the city, and another one that you had begun to create during your flight through the days in the jungle. This map could lead you to safety, if only your could manage to follow the trail that had brought you and your group out here...

Richard awoke with a start-- rain continued to fall, and the sky was still black. Sergent Kestrel stood next to him, though he seemed to have been taken aback by Richard's gasp at awakening. It had been just a dream. Vivid. The memories of it still fresh within his head. It had felt very real.

Kestrel gave over the shift, and by the hands on Richard's watch it was within the 3AM hour. Kestrel left him to his post, and went below deck. Presumably to sleep himself.

Pingo woke up during Richard's shift, and he brought out a canteen of water. The two of them shared it in silence, though thoughts of poisoning were still fresh within Richard's head. However neither men had any ill effects from the water. It was just water, after all.

All was well in the night, and Pingo's presence was comforting, even if Richard would never admit it to anyone. The jungle was filled with its evening chorus of frogs and insects. Bats continued overhead as they dined upon the veritable smorgasbord of bugs that filled the air.

Eventually it came time for Richard's watch to end. He found Max in the room with the bunks. He quietly rocked him awake-- Dr. Loder and the Kid were both asleep in this room as well.

Richard returned to the upper deck, and once again laid down to sleep.
[/spoiler]

Max
[spoiler]
Sleep had come easily. Max had spent many a night traveling on El Halcon with Bones in the past. It was a familiar feeling and a comforting one as well. The days events continued to lay heavily on Max's mind. Of Muta. Of the villagers. Of the bomb.

He made his way to the engine compartment and retrieved the explosive device. It's teeth had been taken away by Kestrel earlier while you confronted the entity that was controlling Muta like a marionette puppet.

All aboard were asleep except Max, including Pingo who had gone to bed shortly after Richard had. This gave the man plenty of time to think about things, and to work on re-wiring the bomb. Max successfully rigged it with a timed detonator, and it was added to Max's possessions (as Nazi Bomb).

The morning rays of sun began to filter through the treetops, and birds begun to sing and call loudly at around 6:30 to 7AM.
[/spoiler]

Coffee was made, and so was a breakfast of oatmeal that Bones cooked up in the Galley. Soon though he took control of the helm, and once the boiler had heated up, and the anchor raised El Halcon was once again moving through the river waters.

The rain had let up by dawn, and a heavy fog settled over the waters giving the river an eerie look and feel.

"Hey Russo. Go ahead and set up those guns of yours. You never know if they'll come in handy."
Bones said from over a cup of black coffee. "Kid, Pingo-- Why don't the two of you grab some fishing poles and see about catching us some fresh fish for lunch? Any one who wished to join them, go ahead to stern. If any of you can out fish that tongueless bastard, you're a better man than me!"

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:04:47 PM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: July 14, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
"Let me help you with that, Russo." John says as he follows Russo to his equipment.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

jacemachine