Author Topic: The Prologue (1941) - Part I  (Read 98111 times)

Neull//

Re: The Prologue (1941)
« Reply #440 on: May 28, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
Once Max wakes up he grins

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Eisen wakes, quickly dresses, and for a second thinks of taking out a sharpener, a knife, and some water for a shave, but decides against it. His beard never grew quickly after all, and they'd be in a town soon enough... apparently. He does take time to comb back his hair, before getting up, unpacking his tent, and joining in conversation with the others, just as they were going over the route with Richard. He stays quiet; his place wasn't in getting through the jungle; really, he'd probably served his most use with the Nazi's at port. Listening attentively, especially at the mention of foot powder and socks (reminiscent of France, a long while back, camping in the wet countryside), he simply waits to be addressed, if at all. When noone says anything, he merely gives a broadly aimed "Good morning" to the group, looking to see if he can assist in any way, and against his better judgment, takes a cup of the coffee.

[spoiler]
While on the hike, Eisen keeps an ear out for any and all odd noises (though a lot is odd to him...), and also (observing Max's attentive action) aids Max's spot checks by looking where Max can't, covering blind spots.
Listen Check: 22[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:25:02 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • a scarily accurate self protrait... no seriously
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »

A series of clicks and then a zip alerts the company to Russo's disheveled emergence, he combs his hair hastily and begins to remove everything from inside the tent and put the thing away, being careful to make sure his cup is not inside.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:22:23 PM by Tarotdragoon »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"
"Whether it's laughable or irrational
This is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our bear hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!"

ORE GA DARE DA TO OMOTE YARU!!!!!!

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: May 29, 2009, 05:21:42 AM »
Pingo demonstrates his ability to whistle in perfect pitch.

He gestures to Bones and gives him another whistle, this one like two whippoorwill calls back to back.

Bones mutters. Bones grimaces. "

From there they entered the forest by crossing a muddy field, some sort of aborted that ran adjacent to the muddy road. Richard had found a small winding trail that took a more northerly path. It seemed an old hunting trail.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:24:43 AM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: May 29, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
Richard enjoys the company of Pingo.  There are no annoying questions or unimportant small talk.  Pingo seems to understand the jungle almost better than Richard himself, and so he respects him. 

Richard occasionally checks the map and thinks to himself, then heads off again.  He's always had a knack for finding shortcuts and getting people where they need to go, he served as a jungle guide in the depths of Africa.

He tunes out the chatter behind him, keeping his attention focused on getting where they need to go and being on the lookout for danger.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: May 29, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »
"So after we reach Santa Boca, how long will it take us to get to whatever it is we're looking for? Bones? Doc? Either of you have an idea?" John inquires, looking back for a second or two, as he cuts away low branches and follows Richard and Pingo.

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »
"Well, I'm not exactly sure, seeing as how nobody's ever seen or heard about it since Albert Dunning went there and disappeared.  Perhaps with both the map and letters in our possession, as well as some help from our guide here, we have a chance to get there."

Loder picks his way through the underbrush, following the others closely.  His machete still looks brand new.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

jacemachine

• Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #447 on: May 30, 2009, 04:00:38 AM »
The drizzle and trees partially obscured the sun, but it was still disgustingly hot. Shirts soaked through with rain-mixed sweat; hair clinging damply to foreheads.Those of party wearing their hats kept their faces dry. Other would have to continuallu wipe at their faces with a handkerchief or rag.

Bones traveled carrying his Thompson pointing  muzzle straight up. Over the bore hole of the barrel, a condom has been unraveled and draped over, like miniature rain slicker. He gave  Richard a wink, which of course was met with a stern glare. He and Pingo were too far ahead, but whatever Richard muttered had Pingo laughing and slapping a thigh.

"What?" Bones asked Pingo. Pingo smiled and gave him the gesture of Monster Hands.
Bones shook his head. He cupped his hands "Just because you British are used to running around in jungles with your own personal native-servants doesn't mean you can take mine!!" Richard, who MUST have heard didn't dignify it with any sort of response.

The path was packed dirt, with thick jungle growth on either side. Big-leafed plants, vines, creepers, trees straight out of a Tarzan comic book. It was dark beneath the trees, and difficult to see very far into their midst, but every now and then you could hear things crashing about in the foliage. Birds, maybe, startled by your approach. There was a lot of cawing, and a steady locust-like throbbing underneath it all that could suddenly, for no apparent reason, fall silent.

As night approached, Richard and Pingo selected an area sheltered on one side by a steep boulder. Max and Kestrel got the fire started. Spirits were low thanks to the constant drizzle, but under some heave leafed trees and the boulder, you managed to find a decent spot to camp.

By the time it was set up to everyone's liking, it was dark. The campfire, larger now that the group was so far from the road, and so far away from any random Nazi patrols.

The kid was beat, and went to go rest in his tent before Pingo returned from his second night of hunting, the group now more wary than before.

Paco and Esteban have a second campfire over near the animals. Esteban is playing a harmonica softly, a low mournful tune.

Bones falls in next to the fire, and takes his boots off. He removes his wet socks, and dries his boots near the flames. His socks he hangs from sticks driven into the mud. After awhile he powders up his feet, and leans back to relax to enjoy the fact that they were no longer traveling for the day.

"From Orino Perro Sergeant," Bones says, answering an earlier question posed by Kestrel. "it will take us a day and a half traveling by river to get to this Mission of Dunning's.

"How many days of travel do the letters cover? What are the dates?"
Bones inquires.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:11:48 AM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #448 on: May 30, 2009, 04:16:56 AM »
Checking the letters again with one boot off and the other halfway undone, Loder responds.  "Um, the first one we have is dated the 17th, and the last one is...  The 21st.  That's four days, but we have no idea how long he continued after that."
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: May 30, 2009, 04:57:05 AM »
As soon as camp is made, like clockwork, Eisen sets up his tent, his mesh, and begins work on cleaning his guns. He noted the condom-topper that Bones had given his Thompson, but Eisen, carrying his rifle point down where the handle was more accessible to raising from the hip, hadn't bothered, and now cleaning his gun regretted it. "My one misunderstood mistake in this was not taking a hat. The fatigues cap does little for the heat...." Taking note of Bones' sock-racks, he copies like a monkey, doing it the same way, with not a slice of variation of steps. Placing his handgun next to his rifle parts and his cleaning tools, Eisen in an offhand fashion asks "so, did we make any decent bit of time today?" In truth, Eisen was thinking of how he might have preferred to sabotage and assault the nazi's, like he did back home, while the group traveled, but only because, in his present state, he felt useless. It was reflected in the restless and irritated look on his face, eyes focused a little too intensely on cleaning his weapons. Once they were clean, together, and loaded, he wrapped the rifle in the fatigue coat that smelled of clean oils and black powder, and placed the handgun in it's holster, taking out his knuckles almost half-consciously, staring into the fire while his fingers played with them.

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • a scarily accurate self protrait... no seriously
    • Email
« Reply #450 on: May 30, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »

Russo looked exhausted, there were no sly comments, his smirk had vanished, the dead man's march had obviously driven him much harder than he was used to and he was suffering for it, looking closely one could see the pinched expression and haggard look in his eyes.

The exhaustion was only half of it. He felt useless. Utterly. he trailed behind the rest of the group, batting at leaves half heartedly with his machete or hands, he ha changed into his fatigues supplied by the league but had no hat and so spent most of the time wiping his face with his scarf which became soaked almost immediately. His mule was also very uncooperative, more than once he had needed Paco or Esteban to chivvy the damned thing along when no amount of pulling from him could shift the creature, it had tried to bite him on a number of occasions and he had had to swat it's muzzle away solidly.

All in all this was just not what Russo was used to, he was used to being alone, the ace of the Adriatic up high in the clouds over the med and Adriatic, soaring over Italy and living on his own little island only visiting civilization when he needed fuel for his plane, guns or himself and only when he felt like company from a certain someone. He missed her terribly, she must be worried sick for him it had been almost a week since he had made contact with her and longer since he had seen her...

snuffing out his thoughts forcefully Russo put up his tent with heavy motions placed his baggage inside and copied Bones and Eizen's ritual looking grave.

"we going to start any of archaeology business soon Bones or have I wasted a trip?" he murmured attempting a joke, while he had been walking he had been trying to recall some of his history lessons in mayan civilization and he had realized he had had known little but possibly enough to assist Loader in anything he needed or make his own judgments but he knew next to nothing about the language and could only make guess work at the writing from what he knew from his intense study of Egyptology and the Semitic writings.

"I hope we can get somewhere soon, this jungle is doing nothing for me at all"
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"
"Whether it's laughable or irrational
This is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our bear hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!"

ORE GA DARE DA TO OMOTE YARU!!!!!!

jacemachine