Author Topic: The Prologue (1941) - Part I  (Read 97766 times)

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
The Prologue (1941) - Part I
« on: March 23, 2009, 03:41:28 AM »
Arriving in Guatemala, the 'Kingston Queen'.

"The Arrival"

Saturday June, 7th 1941
Caribbean Sea

The Kingston Queen. A merchant vessel sailing under a Jamaican  registry. Like most merchant ships it is not armed with large deck-mounted guns, but if it were to ever be boarded by pirates they would likely find themselves at the mercy of a fairly well armed crew.  The ship is probably about 500 tons, small for a merchant ship, but adequate for the purposes of its current group of passengers. Battered and rusty, it goes without notice in most of the ports it visits throughout the Caribbean.

[spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:20:35 AM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

jacemachine

• Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
Re: The Prologue (1941)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:01:01 AM »
He disappears, and the door shuts once again behind him. He is clearly American.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:57:38 PM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:42:44 AM »
Dr. Loder sits at the table, poring over various maps and charts of the area.  Every so often he wipes his glasses with his tie to clear the fog generated by too many bodies in such a cramped space.  Sitting back, he pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs noisily.  He gets up and edges his way to the gas stove and pours himself another cup of gritty black coffee.  Looking up at one of the men standing by the table, Dr. Loder tries to break the ice.  "First time in Guatemala, huh?"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:11:24 AM by j0lt »
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:28:57 AM »
Eisen wasn't totally sure of the company he kept on this vessel. True, he'd been a prime force in assaulting the German war machine, and he hated the Germans just as much as anyone - indeed moreso, for his personal ties to the country - but he still felt as though he wasn't fully trusted by people. It was a well-established fact that even the English military, his firmest and oldest allies in his one-man espionage-military struggle against the current ruling force of his home country, didn't hold him n high trust. But still, they'd asked him, somewhat desperate sounding, to join this expedition, and the stakes were supposedly high. He recognized people there, but hadn't the gall to actually speak to them.

One spoke to the room at large, and he made a start as if to speak, then decided against it somewhat more shyly than he'd liked to have shown. A second thought made him slip the broken trench knives he'd been fingering back into the belt loosely set around the waist of his fatigues. They were lucky, from his father, who used them in the first war, broken because his father had snapped one blade off inside an enemy. He'd broken the other one off inside a German spy, so they were now basically brass knuckles. As for the fatigues, he wore little else, ever, unless needed, always with dark gray or black tank tops or tight t-shirts, and his fatigue coat covering the thick but not bulky leather coat that had saved him a few times. Slinging the coat off his shoulder and around to the back of a chair, he sat leaning forward with his cup half empty (the coffee was damned disgusting) and in an accent that could hardly be recognized as German (sounding a bit English, a bit American with a German tinge and absolutely no slang), responded to the man, and felt just a bit of tension ease off of his shoulders already. "Yes, which is somewhat of a relief. It's just as wild as Europe, but even so, it seems a little more peaceful here, if only such innocence could cloud the reality of what we're here to do... or, whatever a group like us is intended to do..."

Neull//

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:30:33 AM »

He then speaks to the German guy

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • a scarily accurate self protrait... no seriously
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:28:46 AM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]
John sat back on battered old sofa, it's springs squealed in protest and he shifted on it nerviously, eyeing up the other idividuals in the room.
He had seen them around the ship from time to time, walking amongst the deck or through the tight little corridors around the quaters, the stuffy looking doctor, the european (possibly German though he had yet to confirm it), that rather rough looking american, Richardson the hunter whose had overheared while walking past an open doorway and the... well he had said he was an a lecturer but the chap looked more like a bounty hunter!
John shifted around again, prompting more agonized squeeks and groans from the musty couch, moved his thick jacket from it's uncomfortable position and placed it on the arm of the sofa and ran a hand over his slicked brown hair. His face was young, tanned and handsome many had said he was younger than he looked, his little mustache oiled and trim as his hair and his eyes were dark and active, still sizing up the others in the room, he was not used to working with others, unless they were women, then he was more than happy but something stuck John as slightly off about this venture, and it wasn't the lack of information....

"first time in Guatemala, huh?" It was the doctor that spoke first, he followed the conversation for a bit getting a little nervous at the mention of cannibals

"Cannibals you say?" John looked away before reaching into his pocket

"If you chaps will forgive me I feel I need another cigarette, I really was not expecting connibals on this trip, are you being serious Mr...umm" he scrambled for a name but found himself drawing a blank at the stubbled face.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:40:43 AM by Tarotdragoon »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"
"Whether it's laughable or irrational
This is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our bear hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!"

ORE GA DARE DA TO OMOTE YARU!!!!!!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:45:54 AM »
A rather rough and scruffy looking man wearing fatigues and fiddling with parts of his gun sits opposite doctor Loder.
"Cannibals huh?" John says as he takes another sip of coffee before continuing with cleaning his Colt M1911A1.
"I hope the humidity here doesn't have an adverse effect on my weapons...

Say, what are your specialties if I may ask, gentlemen?"
he inquisitively asks as he continues work on his Colt.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Neull//

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:36:25 AM »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 08:39:37 AM by Neull// »

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:27:38 AM »
Dr. Loder's face brightens at the mention of archaeology.  "A fellow archaeologist, huh?  I happen to specialize in the pre-Colombian civilization of the Mayas, which is why I'm here, I suppose.  My name is Dr. Henry Loder."

Turning to the two men who had identified themselves as John, Dr. Loder grimaces.  "I assure you, the risk of ending up on a cannibal's dinner plate in the deep jungle is very real.  I narrowly escaped such a fate myself the last time I was here.  I had been studying a recently found Mayan codex which had allegedly been unearthed not too far from Guatemala city.  Of course, it turned out to be a simple forgery, but it was probably the most excitement I've had in my life.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 12:04:15 PM »
Richard has been in a chair in the corner, leaning back and seeming to doze.  He is wearing a traditional British safari outfit and looks to be in his early forties.  Propped next to him is the biggest rifle you have ever seen, the kind of rifle used to kill things like elephants and who knows what it would do to a man, and it is obviously well used and taken care of.

At the mention of cannibals he mutters to himself and tilts his hat back.  While he looks British, his accent is mixed and it is obvious that this man is well traveled.  He leans forward towards the rest of the group and says, "Cannibals are the least of the dangers you will find in the jungle.  I have spent time in the Congo, and cannibals can be reasoned with.  But can you reason with a Panther?  An anaconda?  Can you look into the very eyes of death itself and ask it to just leave you alone?"

Richard then leans back.  "The name is Richard Jameson and I am a sniper and a scout, have served in both great wars.  In between I've been up and down all of Africa.  I'm here to make sure that you chaps don't all die before we even get where we're going."
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 12:17:21 PM »
"Thanks for the confidence, old man." John deadpans.

"The name's John Kestrel, Sergeant in the U.S. military. I'll be your resident firearms expert and scout on this little field trip."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:27:29 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • a scarily accurate self protrait... no seriously
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:33:49 PM »

John pulled a small carton of cigarettes from his overall pocket, opening the top he put the box to his lips and pulled out a white cork tipped cigarette, listening to the individual across from him

"Max huh...."

he watched the man fiddle with his backpack, listening politely before lighting pulling out a match and striking it on the rough of the box, the smell of burning sulfur filled the air around the aviator, he brought the flaming match to the end of the cigarette

"I must say," he took a deep drag "Max, I am also somewhat of a recluse myself"

diverting his attention to the others namely the stuffy looking scientist, he listened in unsure who he should be looking at, the mention of more cannibals drew his attention while Max wandered around inside his rucksack, John Grimaced

"Sounds riveting, I'm sort of an Archaeologist myself I spent quite some time-" he cut off as Max found what he was looking for

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

John stared back to Max and the thing in the thing in his hand, a look of sheer disbelief slapped across of face

"It's an....." he paused, not quite knowing what he wanted to say "...exploding doll...."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:14:01 PM by Tarotdragoon »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"
"Whether it's laughable or irrational
This is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our bear hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!"

ORE GA DARE DA TO OMOTE YARU!!!!!!

jacemachine