Author Topic: A guide to Wizards: Playing a GOD  (Read 452728 times)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: A guide to Wizards: Playing a GOD
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »
Yo. Just wanted to drop by and say that I fully intend to write a Guide-Update for the Evocation section, using any and all books I can get (which is EVERY BOOK there is, given time). Let me just say that I fully expect Evokers to become far more common following this, especially in games allowing all books. Hell, I'll even suggest PrCs and feats.

Maybe I'll make it into a Gods That Can Blast thread...  ;)

[spoiler]Still, I'm a busy soldier of little fortune, so that may take a few weeks...  :thumb[/spoiler]

I'd be interested to see.  Not that I consider a blaster wizard a God...no matter how much goes boom.  When a God Wizard sees another wizard blasting he thinks, "sigh...poor bastard is doing all the hard work himself..."

It's not the size of the boom (even though that's an important part of it... :D), it's how you use it. Does a spell that offer a No Save Slow (and if you fail the save, you're Paralyzed) suck? Does one that traps foes inside a Globe of (Wall) of Force, doing damage every round with , oh, Maw of Chaos?

Can anyone else deal 20d10 each round to interrupt actions, without using ANY action on your part?

It's not that dealing damage is godly, it's that you can be godly while dealing damage. Or you can deal (un?)godly amounts of damage. :)

BTW, Maw of Chaos should TOTALLY be an Evocation spell.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:11:35 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2008, 06:04:21 PM »
Why am I always thinking about Maw of Chaos as a bear head, mauling the target ?

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
  • Chaotic Evil and loving it.
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:27 PM »
Being able to make fake (and free) dragon allies is, IMO, enough to justify bumping shades up a level.  Either you can offer the shadow-created dragons their lives in exchange for service to you, or just give them cash and pick it back up when they disappear.  Either way, an army of dragons who literally owe their lives to you is too good to pass up.

Anybody else reminded of The Colour of Magic?

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
Level 7
Dragon Ally (SpC): (Summoning):
Being able to make fake (and free) dragon allies is, IMO, enough to justify bumping shades up a level.  Either you can offer the shadow-created dragons their lives in exchange for service to you, or just give them cash and pick it back up when they disappear.  Either way, an army of dragons who literally owe their lives to you is too good to pass up.

In the original guide back in those old boards, one of the first replies I had to the Illusion guide was that I ranked Shades to low (I gave it a Thumbs up) because it could mimic any Conjuration spell unlike the other Shadow Conjuration spells.  I never replied my immediate reaction - which was WHAT!?!    :twitch Frankly - I didn't want the inevitible argument at the time.  I am thinking that this is a common belief of the way the spell works?

I almost hate to say this (because - as per usual - I will contravine common belief, and fully expect a backlash), but rumors that Shades works for Calling spells are incorrect.  (Did I say Dragon Ally spells were summoning?  Ooops - they are calling spells - this may also be where the confusion lie - if so, my bad.).  I am quite certain of this.  There is a habit amongst CO to interpret rules in the most liberal way possible - but the wording is too clear in Shades to back up the belief that it mimics any Conjuration spell of 8th level or lower.

Shades Spell Description - word for word: This spell functions like shadow conjuration, except that it mimics sorcerer and wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower.  The illusionary conjurations created deal four-fifths (80%) damage to nobelievers, and nondamaging effects are 80% likely to work against nonbelievers.
In order for the restrictions of Summoning/Creation that exist with Shadow Conjuration not to apply - It would need to state it did not apply (with such wording as "except that it mimics any Conjuration spell of 8th level or lower", or "it mimics conjuration spells other than summoning/creation").

So this is where the common belief that Shades mimics "any" Conjuration spell of 8th level or lower came from.  Simply, the spell Shades (after saying it functions as Shadow Conjuration with the listed exceptions), does not restate that it only mimics Creation/Summoning conjuration spells.  However, a restate is not necessary - soon as they say it functions as Shadow Conjuration - the restriction is there.  Unless something they say in the exceptions specifically removes that restriction - saying again that it is there is simply redundancy.

The list of exceptions is quite clear:
- The Conjuration spell may be up to 8th level
- The illusionary Conjuration does 80% damage to nonbelievers
- Non-damaging conjurations are 80% likely to work against nonbelievers

Other than those exceptions - it functions like Shadow Conjuration - which only mimics Conjuration (Summoning) and Conjuration (Creation)

Sorry guys.  :(

(And - even if it did mimic Calling spells - they don't work the way you describe.  If Shadow Magic were to somehow apply to Calling or Teleportation spells - they would operate in the same way.  The creature is not a spell effect - only what brought it to you is a spell effect.  That is the difference between Calling and Summoning.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:46:22 PM by Treantmonklvl20 »
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
Dragon ally is a conjuration (summoning) spell.  That's why the trick works.

Unless there's some eratta I'm not aware of?  My copy says summoning right there on page 111.

I suppose one broken trick isn't technically enough to rank a spell higher - but it might be a decent foot note for the dragon ally series, if nothing else.

There are two possible interpretations:
A) Illusionary summoned creatures drop all non-illusionary objects they're carrying when they duration ends.  You keep the gold
B) Illusionary summoned creatures destroy all non-illusionary objects they're carrying when the duration ends.  You now can kill anything by grappling it with illusions for long enough, or destroy any item by handing it off to an illusion with a round of duration left.

Either way, it's quite powerful.

Also, shades + trap the soul?  Silliness.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 10:29:35 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2008, 10:41:58 AM »
What would happen if the creature in question made its save? Would only 80% of it be trapped?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »
What would happen if the creature in question made its save? Would only 80% of it be trapped?

I think it would only be trapped 80% of the time.

The real question is, what's it trapped in? 
Planetouched Handbook

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2008, 08:12:20 PM »
Dragon ally is a conjuration (summoning) spell.  That's why the trick works.

Unless there's some eratta I'm not aware of?  My copy says summoning right there on page 111.

Ummm...in my Spell Compendium, Dragon Ally is on pg 72, and it is Conjuration (Calling).  There must have been a change somewhere along the line.  However, yes, it is a calling spell.  If it used to be Summoning, I'm glad they changed it - requiring bribes for a summoned creature is pretty weird.

Though that does explain the miscommunication.

As for Shades/Trap the Soul - yep, that should work by RAW, but if I was DM'ing - I would have a hard time explaining how.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:14:50 PM by Treantmonklvl20 »
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2008, 04:31:31 AM »
I see.  I was looking it up in the draconomicon.
Planetouched Handbook

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2009, 04:35:00 AM »
So, anyway, I'm surprised that "contact other plane" isn't listed under divinations?  Why?

Because having the right spell prepared is the difference between awesome and less awesome.  Having the best possible five spells prepared?  Distinctly most awesome. 

Let me copypasta from myself.

Let's say a wizard has, oh, a selection of thirty possible spells he can choose from to prepare in his higher level slots. 

He writes them on a numbered list.

He casts Contact Other Plane.  Having at least a +6 bonus to int by now, he can take 10 on the ability check and always succeed in contacting a Greater Deity on an Outer Plane.  88% of the time, he gets the correct one-word answer to any question he asks.  At CL 10, you can ask five questions per casting.

Question 1 "what is the number of the spell on this list that will be most beneficial for me to prepare in the next week?"
Question 2 "what is the number of the spell on this list that is the second most beneficial for me to prepare in the next week?"
Question 3 "what is the number of the spell on this list that is the third most beneficial for me to prepare in the next week?"
Question 4 "what is the number of the spell on this list that is the fourth most beneficial for me to prepare in the next week?"
Question 5 "what is the number of the spell on this list that is the fifth most beneficial for me to prepare in the next week?"

Now, as there's no material or XP component, you can spam this spell as much as you want.  Two castings (asking the same questions) will give you a 98.5% chance of getting the right answer at least once, and less than a (10%/29)^2 = 0.0012% chance of getting the same wrong answer twice. 

You could ask different questions to get similar results - the method I had was just a little easier. 

Other questions might, for instance, ask "What type of creatures, from the following list: {Abberation, construct, dragon, elemental, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze, outsider, plant, undead, vermin} will, in the next week, pose the greatest danger to me?"

Or ask if you're going to be facing enemies immune to mind effecting spells, or energy drain, or fire, or whatever.  The sky's the limit.

As a fifth level spell, using multiple contact other planes isn't going to cut into a wiz20's spell assortment at all.  At higher levels, he's going to say "in the next 48 hours", or "in the next day", and have the answer for his top 10 spells.  Rock on!

So, practically speaking, the high level wizard *will* always have the right spells prepared.
Planetouched Handbook

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »
The problem there is logistics, Linguist.  In theory, that would work; in practice, the DM can't see the future and can't actually determine which spell is going to be of most use.  He can make educated guesses, but he can't (for example) know in advance that the wizard is going to conjure up a Phantasmal Steed, have it blown out from under him, and absolutely require a Feather Fall spell.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
Let the player cheat the same way the DM can cheat then...he gets perhaps 3 or 5 open slots that he can insta-prepare and cast from... Like some DM's do for their really insightful casters. In fact, why not allow the really intelligent/wise casters to do that anyway? The player is probably not a super-genius IRL, give him a little leeway; 1/2 his casting modifier in spells that he can have open-prepped. (Sorcerers are just hosed; but they're dumb anyway ;))
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »
disregard.  :p
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:39:29 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
Let the player cheat the same way the DM can cheat then...he gets perhaps 3 or 5 open slots that he can insta-prepare and cast from... Like some DM's do for their really insightful casters.

It could also be treated as a self-fufilling prophecy.  He says "featherfall, shatter, telekinesis, prismatic sphere, and Shades", and what do you know, your phantasmal steed gets dispelled, the golem's made of glass, you need to smash things with heavy boulders, and trap something's soul while protected from the attacks of an oncoming dragon.
Planetouched Handbook

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2009, 01:37:33 AM »
Universal spells are all kinds of oddball, but i think that it might be helpful to have a short, mini-section on them. Then again the total number of them in the books i have(SpC, PHBII, PHB) is like 15, so it might not be worth it. That being said, they do serve pretty important roles, in almost any guide. Especially permanancy. the Efreeti wish-stick is pretty important too, but not in the same way.

@Mad_Linguist...

The other problem with that is metagaming. The DM i have currently cracks down on it pretty hard, so i have to be pretty careful with my questions (No creature type lists...). That being said, asking something like: "Will we be embattled (i've always wanted to use that word... i never have in real conversations...) most often in the next 2 days by monsters which are resistant to: (energy types)?" Im sure that might work. Also, this complaint won't fly with all DMs, valid as it may be in my experience.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2009, 02:31:33 PM »
EDIT: Who cares what the DM might say. What board do I think I'm on, here?

Carry on.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:05:50 PM by Negative Zero »

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2009, 04:04:40 AM »
On the topic of shades: the strongest argument I can see for shades not being limited to conjuration (creation) and (summoning) spells is that greater shadow conjuration has the exact same wording in it's first sentence as shades except that it explicitly calls out the restriction, just like shadow conjuration. That they didn't repeat the restriction with shades is telling since the precedent is to reiterate the restrictions rather than to omit them. Admittedly it's not an air-tight argument, but I think it definitely has some weight behind it.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2009, 04:17:54 AM »
The other problem with that is metagaming. The DM i have currently cracks down on it pretty hard, so i have to be pretty careful with my questions (No creature type lists...).

How far can you go?  Can you ask about the fields of knowledge that include the creatures you'll fight most next? 

Anyway, the fact that you can take 10 makes it as useful as Divination (if not more so) 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 02:26:13 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Foot

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2009, 07:35:13 PM »

Vertigo (PHB II) (BC): * Debuff that targets will. For 1 round/level if the opponent fails a will save, they must make a DC 10 balance check or they can't take a move action (and fall prone if missed by 5 or more). The weaknesses of this spell are: 1) single opponent saves and the spell is wasted, 2) If they have balance, or a decent dex, this spell won't accomplish much.

Could Vertigo be upgraded to BC/Debuff?  It says: 
The subject must succeed on a DC 10 Balance check at the start of each turn to take a move action.  If it fails, it cannot move. If it fails the
check by 5 or more, it falls prone.

The way I read it, there is the Balance check that can be passed or failed AND the target takes -2 on attacks and saves, even if they made the balance check (but failed the Will save).  Maybe if the spell had been worded in the right order of events, like this instead:  If the target fails the Will save, he now is -2 to attack and saves, AND every round they must make a balance check or fall-down-go-boom.

Also, from the PHB:

Even if they make the balance check they are rogue bait, unless they have high balance.  Cast this one on a BDF (low Will Saves, Balance not a class skill).

I like this spell, it's probably not :evillaugh worthy, but it's pretty neat.  I might be partial to it because I like trying to scare the hell out of my enemies and mess with their heads.   :devil

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:37:07 PM by Foot »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »
I apologize, but I haven't been keeping up with this.
It isn't my work, and I 'ported it here from the WotC boards.

I'll likely not change anything unless asked by the original author.