Author Topic: A guide to Wizards: Playing a GOD  (Read 453425 times)

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
Re: A guide to Wizards: Playing a GOD
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 12:55:50 AM »
Level 7

Waves of Exhaustion (PHB):Avasculate (SpC):Evil Glare (SpC):Kiss of the Vampire (SpC):Control Undead (PHB): (Save or die...basically)::marx  Mass Dominate Person for undead but with a crappy duration. Once again, this is circumstantial (undead only), but against multiple undead foes this should end the fight if you have a good DC.

Necrotic Curse (CM): (Utility)::marx  Turns positive energy into negative energy in a 20 ft radius emanation for 1 hr/level. This could be devastating to anyone healing injured comrades in the area, but remains quite circumstantial. Nevertheless, at super-high levels, when heal spells are thrown around like candy, this could be devastating to an unsuspecting opponent. I recommend one of the skill tricks that will prevent spellcraft rolls to know what you cast.

Finger of Death (PHB): (Save or die): :(  The most basic save or die possible. Opponent in close range makes a Fort save, if they succeed, they take minor damage, if they fail, they die. If you like save or dies, this is the staple. For me, save or die is not my thing.

Symbol of Weakness (PHB): :(  See symbol of pain above.

Arrow of Bone (SpC):Energy Ebb (SpC): (Debuff): :(  Supposedly a one-up on Enervation, but what a disappointment. Hit the target with a Ray and they gain one negative level. On followup rounds (one per level) the target makes a Fort save or takes another negative level. One successful Fort save ends the effect. So basically, expect one or maybe 2 negative levels from this spell.

Sword of Darkness (SpC):Retributive Enervation (CM): (Debuff): :(  Like Abjuration all over again. A basically defensive spell that is a self buff only, standard action casting, and one round/level. Skip it.

Seed of Undeath, Greater (CM):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:49:48 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »
Level 8

Avascular Mass (SpC): (Triple threat Blast/Debuff/BC): :plotting Basically this spell is avasculate (see level 7 spells) with a quickened/heightened web attached. You strike the original target and a web of writhing blood vessels (cool visual) attach to opposing points and entangle those within (like a web). The secondary effect lasts one round per level. Is attaching what is in effect a 2nd level spell to a 7th level spell make it worth it as an 8th level spell? I would say circumstantially yes, though many creatures will have freedom of movement or teleportation options by this level.

Blackfire (SpC): (Debuff): :thumb  Hit opponent with Ray and they Make Fort save every round or lose 1d3 Con and are nauseated. If they make their save they are only sickened that round. Those adjacent to victim make Ref saves or the spell effect spreads to them. It is the spreading feature that makes this spell decent.

Horrid Wilting (PHB):Veil of Undeath (SpC):Clone (PHB):Create Greater Undead (PHB):Symbol of death (PHB): :(  see the other symbol spells.

Heart of Stone (SpC):Greater Bestow Curse (SpC): (Debuff): :(  Like Bestow Curse except the penalties are greater. The things that actually needed improved with Bestow Curse (Touch attack, Will negates) are not. Why this is a level 8 spell is beyond me.

Skeletal Guard (SpC):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:50:19 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:11 AM »
Level 9

Wail of the Banshee (PHB):Enervating Breath (SpC): (Debuff)::marx  Basically a double strength enervation attached to your breath weapon. Of course you need a breath weapon for this to be of any use to you, if you have one, it is just better than energy drain due to the mass effect.

Soul Bind (PHB):Astral Projection (PHB):Energy Drain (PHB):Plague of Undead (SpC):Final Thoughts: Yep, necromancy is good at debuffing. Yep, not many BC's or Buffs there (though there are some - even some good ones). I find that necromancy swells around the middle (Check out level 5 - Three spells of YES!) - but is sparce at the ends (not a single necromancy 9th level spell I think is great, and at first level, Ray of enfeeblement is the only spell worth getting excited over).

I'm just not sure I would specialize in necromancy now except as a flavor thing. Very narrow field - and not alot of spells (I pretty much included every necromancy spell in this guide) - and lots of turkeys.

If you are going with Unseen Seer or Arcane trickster (Glass cannon) this is definitely a school to keep though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:50:48 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:24 AM »
Treantmonk's Guide to Wizard Spells: God's Tools - Part 5: Conjuration

In this thread I will break down conjuration spells spell by spell - which are underrated, which are overrated (All IMO - this isn't Gospel - only the Gospel according to Treantmonk)

There is already a guide to conjurers - that breaks down the school by spells (as well as feats, skills, Prc's etc.) It is a good guide worthy of your attention - but the repetition here is largely to satisfy my format for school breakdown. Hey - and a bit of repetition is good right? (never mind a second opinion)

More threads will come - detailing spells from the various schools of magic. However, there is no timeline (nor will I likely continue once 4E hits the shelves). At this time I still plan an illusion and enchantment guide (transmuation and divination having been completed by other board members). Expect each of those guides to be reasonably small (which I will explain)

To the readers: If there's a spell you think I should look at - post it and I'll include it in my guide - though be pre-warned - I do not guarantee I will hold the same opinion as you.

Sources: I use PHB, PHB II, Complete Series, and SpC (these are both the books I own, as well as those allowed in the campaigns in which I play) - so all the spells listed are from those sources. (these guides are not completely unselfish - I reference them periodically with my own characters)

There are lots of gems in various other sources - but I've found there are lots of good spells to round out your spellbook in the sources used. By all means, if you would like to highlight a spell from another source - post it in a reply (along with the source and the specs) for the readers to reference.

Kinds of Spells: This is how I break down the types of spells...

Summoning: This is a new category of spells that is more prevalent for conjuration. BC: Battlefield Control. This is the spells that involve impeding movement of your opponents - aiding movement of your allies, or in any other way treating the world as your own personal chessboard.

Debuff: Debuffing is anything you cast on an enemy to impede his ability mechanically. Lowering of attributes, Blinding, Sickening, or scaring the living crap out of. Debuffing - as the name would indicate - also includes removing any buffs your enemy might have.

Buff: Buffing is improving the abilities of your allies mechanically. Whether it be through giving them extra attacks, better AC, or merely providing them a flanker. The nice thing about buffs is they likely won't involve saving throws.

Blast: A Blast is a spell that does HP damage to your opponent. Blasts are a pretty basic part of any Wizard's toolbelt - but IMO make a poor central focus to any Wizard. My suggestion is to cast Blast spells when you have nothing really useful to do.

Utility: These are those spells that have uses that aren't necessarily related to combat. Often utility spells can be useful in combat - but more circumstantially.

Save or Die: These spells give you a saving throw - or you're dead (or effectively dead). Personally, I don't like these spells - since they tend to target Fort - and are higher level then spells which can give you the win without avoiding the fun. You are usually better with a debuff if you like this style of spell.

Multiple Threat: A spell that covers more than one of the above at a time is a multiple threat spell. For example - a spell that does damage as well as impede the enemies movement would be a double threat (BC + Blast), while a spell that does damage, impedes the movement of the enemy, gives them mechanical penalties, and gives your allies bonuses would be a Quadruple threat (BC + Blast + Debuff + Buff). By the way - if you know of a Quadruple threat spell - let me know!!!

Rating the spells:

After breaking down the spells, I will self-righteously give them either the Treantmonk stamp of approval - or the stamp of the foot, oversimplifying the use of each.

:banghead: This spell's a Turkey. Not worth having in your spellbook at all.

:( : Not all bad, but not good enough for me to recommend

:marx  : Run of the mill. It's OK, but nothing special

:thumb : The spell is solid. I recommend it

:plotting: This spell is highly recommended

:evillaugh : YES!!!!!

Part 5: Conjuration

Conjuration is one of the two schools they say: "Never drop", but why? Well, there are 2 answers. First reason is Battlefield control. Conjuration is your best school for this wizard pursuit. Second reason is the pure quantity of spells. Only Transmutation boasts more spells overall.

Is Conjuration the best school?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:54:21 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »
Level 1:

Grease (PHB):Benign Transposition (SpC):Wall of Smoke (SpC):Resinous Tar (CM):Mage Armor (PHB): (Buff): :thumb  One hour/level +4 armor bonus. This spell makes Braciers of Armor completely obsolete. The +4 can be improved with PrC dips (Paragnostic apostle is the easiest for a +6).

Mount (PHB):Blockade (CS):Hail of Stone (SpC):Summon Monster I (PHB):Unseen Servant (PHB):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:54:38 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:46 AM »
Level 2

Web (PHB):Glitterdust (PHB):Create Magic Tattoo (SpC):Fog Cloud (PHB):Cloud of Bewilderment (SpC):Dimension Hop (PHB II):Baleful Transposition (SpC):Summon Monster II (PHB): (Summoning): :(  Not impressive for combat, and no better for utility than SM I. For most wizards, I suggest skipping this inferior summons.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:54:50 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:57 AM »
Level 3

Sleet Storm (PHB):Dimension Step (PHBII):Stinking Cloud (PHB):Summon Monster III (PHB):Phantom Steed (PHB):Mage armor, Greater (SpC):Caustic Smoke (CM):Grasping wall (CS):Bands of Steel (SpC):Scattering Trap (PHBII):Corpse Candle (SpC):Acid Breath (SpC):Servant horde (SpC): (Utility)::marx  Mass Unseen Servant. Unless there is a flavour reason for this spell, I would suggest that a regular unseen servant probably fits your needs. One possible use is the making of multiple items quickly available to you or your companions at need.

Regal Procession (SpC):Mage armor, Mass (SpC):Luminous Assasin, Lesser (PHBII):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:55:05 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:09 AM »
Level 4

Dimension Door (PHB):Solid Fog (PHB):Wall of Sand (SpC):Summon Monster IV (PHB):Orb of Fire (SpC):Wall of Water (SpC):Translocation Trick (SpC):Bloodstar (SpC):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:55:20 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
Level 5

Planar Binding, Lesser (PHB):Teleport (PHB):Wall of Stone (PHB):Viscid Glob (SpC):Dimension Jumper (CM):Evacuation Rune (CS):Dimension Shuffle (PHB II):Cloudkill (PHB):Summon Monster V (PHB):Phantasmal Thief (SpC):Call Zelekhut (SpC):Greater Dimension Door (SpC) :Vitriolic Sphere (SpC):Luminous Assassin (PHBII):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:55:44 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:33 AM »
Level 6

Planar binding (PHB):Freezing Fog (SpC):Gemjump (SpC):Tunnel Swallow (SpC):Summon Monster VI (PHB):Tactical Teleportation (CM):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:55:56 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:42 AM »
Level 7

Choking cobwebs (CM):Greater Teleport (PHB):Summon Monster VII (PHB): (Summons): :thumb  The Avoral has a huge variety of utlity abilities including true seeing, every knowledge in existence at +12, and others. Huge elementals make pretty good combatants at this level (including some useful combat feats).

Stun Ray (SpC):Plane Shift (PHB): (Utility) :marx  You and your companions travel planes. Purely utility, and usually campaign dependant. However, can be an invaluable resource in those campaigns.

Call Kolyarut (SpC):Dragon Ally (SpC):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:56:11 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 12:57:51 AM »
Level 8

Planar Binding Greater (PHB):Maze (PHB):Summon Monster VIII (PHB):Greater Plane Shift (PHB): (Utility): :marx  Like Plane Shift except you appear exactly where you want. Again, this spell is purely utility and campaign dependant.

Deadly Lahar (CM):Fierce Pride of the Beastlands (SpC): (Summoning): :banghead Summon 2d4 celestial lions and 1d4 celestial dire lions to attack and miss your foes an incomprehensible amount of times. These creatures are far too weak for the level.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:56:28 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:02 AM »
Level 9

Summon Elemental Monolith (SpC):Towering Thunderhead (CM):Teleportation Circle (PHB):Obedient Avalanche (SpC):Gate (PHB):Summon Monster IX (PHB):Abyssal Army (SpC):Sphere of Ultimate Destruction (SpC):Black Blade of Disaster (SpC):Heavenly Host (SpC):Greater Dimension jumper (CM):Final Thoughts: Yep - there you go, notice lots of  :evillaugh  early on and lots of  :banghead later? However - as a whole - the school rocks.

My suggestion for those who travel the conjuration school to high level is to prepare. Summon Elemental Monolith is a decent spell - but you can make it more effective through Rapid Spell/Metamagic school (conjuration) as well as Augment Summoning. A ring of Mighty Summons is also recommended.

After learning my lesson with Necromancy - I've decided that just because Enchantment and Illusion are smaller schools - I won't include all the spells - but merely highlight those I feel are worthy of a second look. Smaller schools mean less great spells - that's just reality, but those schools still have gems for us to find.

(I know there is an enchantment school breakdown already. However, not one with my current format - so a bit of repetition is likely - just like this guide and Echodork's Conjurer's Guide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:56:46 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:14 AM »
Treantmonk's Guide to Wizard Spells: God's Tools - Part 6: Illusion

In this thread I will break down illusion spells spell by spell - which are underrated, which are overrated (All IMO - this isn't Gospel - only the Gospel according to Treantmonk)

This is the 2nd last thread for schools of magic (enchantment will come later today) - however, I intend 2 more guides for players wishing to play "god". One will rate PrC's from various sources - the other will rate alternate classes you may wish to consider for your "god" character. I intend to use a similar format to these spell guides, with my standard  :evillaugh   :plotting  :thumb  :marx   :(   :banghead Though I may abbriviate it somewhat...

To the readers: If there's a spell you think I should look at - post it and I'll include it in my guide - though be pre-warned - I do not guarantee I will hold the same opinion as you.

Sources: I use PHB, PHB II, Complete Series, and SpC (these are both the books I own, as well as those allowed in the campaigns in which I play) - so all the spells listed are from those sources. (these guides are not completely unselfish - I reference them periodically with my own characters)

There are lots of gems in various other sources - but I've found there are lots of good spells to round out your spellbook in the sources used. By all means, if you would like to highlight a spell from another source - post it in a reply (along with the source and the specs) for the readers to reference.

BC: Battlefield Control. This is the spells that involve impeding movement of your opponents - aiding movement of your allies, or in any other way treating the world as your own personal chessboard.

Debuff: Debuffing is anything you cast on an enemy to impede his ability mechanically. Lowering of attributes, Blinding, Sickening, or scaring the living crap out of. Debuffing - as the name would indicate - also includes removing any buffs your enemy might have.

Buff: Buffing is improving the abilities of your allies mechanically. Whether it be through giving them extra attacks, better AC, or merely providing them a flanker. The nice thing about buffs is they likely won't involve saving throws.

Blast: A Blast is a spell that does HP damage to your opponent. Blasts are a pretty basic part of any Wizard's toolbelt - but IMO make a poor central focus to any Wizard. My suggestion is to cast Blast spells when you have nothing really useful to do.

Utility: These are those spells that have uses that aren't necessarily related to combat. Often utility spells can be useful in combat - but more circumstantially.

Save or Die: These spells give you a saving throw - or you're dead (or effectively dead). Personally, I don't like these spells - since they tend to target Fort - and are higher level then spells which can give you the win without avoiding the fun. You are usually better with a debuff if you like this style of spell.

Multiple Threat: A spell that covers more than one of the above at a time is a multiple threat spell. For example - a spell that does damage as well as impede the enemies movement would be a double threat (BC + Blast), while a spell that does damage, impedes the movement of the enemy, gives them mechanical penalties, and gives your allies bonuses would be a Quadruple threat (BC + Blast + Debuff + Buff). By the way - if you know of a Quadruple threat spell - let me know!!!

Rating the spells:

After breaking down the spells, I will self-righteously give them either the Treantmonk stamp of approval - or the stamp of the foot, oversimplifying the use of each.

Part 6: Illusion

To the reader of past guides: You will notice that the illusion guide is small. Much smaller than past guides. Your eyes do not decieve you - there are various reasons for this:

1) I discovered through the abjuration/necromancy thread that just because a school has less spells doesn't mean you should include more of the "should ignore" spells into the guide. It gives the guide a negative feel without really adding any useful information. If I don't include a spell in the guide - it probably means I'm not a big fan of it.

2) Illusion is a difficult school to rate. Of all the schools - how do you rate a spell with the versatility of "Shadow conjuration" or even worse "major image"? The effectiveness of these spells is limited mainly by the imagination of the user - so please take that into account.

3) Illusion is an interesting school in that it has a few spells that are awsome standouts, and a lot of spells that are garbage compared to those few spells.

Note that the enchantment guide will be even smaller - much smaller - but for slightly different reasons.

Finally - illusion creates alot of debate. Can you use an illusion to create an illusionary pit in a floor? Can you use Shadow Conjuration to emulate an effect and choose to not make a saving throw to disbelieve? People have their minds set so completely on these areas that nothing is going to change it - but before you make up yours - I do like the take on illusions that Skip Williams has - check the links below for more information:

All about illusions (part 1)

All about illusions (part 2)

All about illusions (part 3)

All about illusions (part 4)

So without further ado: Here's the illusion spells your wizard should take a second look at:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:58:14 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:26 AM »
Level 1:

Silent Image (PHB) (BC or Utility):Color Spray (PHB) (Debuff):Disguise Self (PHB) (Utility):Net of Shadows (SpC) (BC):Level 2:

Invisibility (PHB) (Buff): :evillaugh  Make yourself or an ally invisible for 1 min/level. Although attacking reveals the invisible creature, keep in mind that indirect stuff (so basically anything a God would normally do) does not.

Blinding Color Surge (PHB II) (Double threat Buff/debuff): :evillaugh  Opponent makes a will save or is blinded for a round. Regardless of their save result, you turn invisible for 1 round/level. The multithreat is somewhat redundant, but will benifit your allies for the cost of reducing the duration of your invisibility - this is a decent trade.

Mirror Image (PHB) (Buff):Minor Image (PHB) (BC or Utility):Delusions of Grandeur (SpC) (Debuff): :thumb  A debuff that targets will. Basically the standard -2 on just about everything. The nice thing is that this will stack with all those other similar debuffs (sickened, fatigued, shaken etc)

Phantom Foe (SpC) (Buff): :thumb  Basically give an ally a single mirror image which flanks his melee foe. Should work well with a glass cannon who gets separated from the BSF.

Vertigo (PHB II) (BC): :marx  Debuff that targets will. For 1 round/level if the opponent fails a will save, they must make a DC 10 balance check or they can't take a move action (and fall prone if missed by 5 or more). The weaknesses of this spell are: 1) single opponent saves and the spell is wasted, 2) If they have balance, or a decent dex, this spell won't accomplish much.

Blur (PHB) (Buff): :marx  Attacks miss 20% of the time for 1 round/level. Only mentioned to point out that this spell is often overrated. Way inferior to mirror image as a defensive buff IMO.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:58:28 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:36 AM »
Level 3:

Phantasmal Strangler (CM) (Debuff/Blast):Vertigo Field (PHB II) (Debuff/BC): :plotting 20' radius spread of targets must make a FORT save (not will!) or be nauseated for 1 round. Terrain within the field is difficult and within there is a 20% miss chance (no save). One nice feature of this spell is you can exclude your allies from the nauseating effect.

Legion of Sentinels (PHB II) (BC): :thumb  Fill a 10' radius space with ghostly sentinels that flank and make attacks of opportunity on foes (you need to check errata to find they attack with your CL and do 1 bonus damage per 3 CL's (max +5)). It is best to think of this spell as a battlefield control, not a summoning spell.

Invisibility Sphere (PHB) (Buff):Mask of the Ideal (CM) (Buff):Hood of the Cobra (CM) (Debuff): :marx  One creature makes a will save or is shaken. Then you make touch attacks for 1d6 con (fort negates). Not a big touch attack fan, otherwise this would be awesome.

Displacement(PHB) (Buff): :marx  Like blur, but now the miss chance is 50%. You are still better off with mirror image (IMO), though this spell actually stacks decently with that if you get a chance to layer defences before a fight.

Shadow Binding (SpC) (BC):Major Image (PHB) (BC, Utility):Level 4:

Greater Mirror Image (PHB II) (Self Buff): :evillaugh  like mirror image but much better. Firstly, you add 1 image/round (max 8 ) meaning that as your opponents hit images they reappear. Most importantly however, this spell is an immediate action casting - this is a big, big deal.

Shadow Conjuration (PHB) (flexible threat):Shadow Well (SpC) (BC):Greater Invisibility (PHB) (Buff): :thumb  Like invisibility but you can attack. The duration now sucks. Still, for BSF this is a good buff. For yourself, stick to invisibility and indirect attacks.

Hallucinatory Terrain (PHB) (Utility): :marx  Change the appearance of terrain. Actually, very circumstantial.

Phantasmal Killer (PHB) (Save or die):Phantom Battle (PHB II) (Debuff): :marx  Opponents in a 20' radius spread make a will save or they cannot make attacks of opportunity. Regardless of their save, they are considered flanked (hello rogues!). Unfortunately, leaving the affected area ends the effect.

Level 5:

Shadow Evocation (PHB) (flexible threat):Friend to Foe (PHB II) (Debuff): :plotting This illusion could be easily labelled an enchantment spell. You make one creature per CL (can't be more than 30' apart - though you want them close anyways), make a will save or begin attacking his companions. I've seen this spell used to great effect.

Persistant Image (PHB) (BC):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:58:43 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:45 AM »
Level 6:

Permanent Image (PHB) (Utility):Shadow Walk (PHB) (Utility):Shadow Grappler (SpC) (BC):Level 7:

Project Image (PHB) (Buff):Greater Shadow Conjuration (PHB) (Utility):Level 8:

Greater Shadow Evocation(PHB) (Utility):Superior Invisibility (SpC) (Buff):
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:59:00 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2008, 12:58:54 AM »
Level 9:

Shades (PHB)(Utility):Final Thoughts:The "Shadow" magic debate: So, those who have been following my conjuration guide responses may have discovered that it turned into a huge debate regarding "Shadow Conjuration" and the like spells.

The debate started with the suggestion that a Create Tattoo spell cast with Shadow Conjuration would achieve the same effect without the material component.

Then it was suggested that this was a bad alternative, since the spell would only have a 20% chance of working since the caster would obviously know that they were casting a "shadow" spell.

The debate moves on without resolution - it comes down to whether you believe that the caster can choose whether to save vs. the shadow spell or whether you believe that they automatically disbelieve. Better check with your DM...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:59:17 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »
Treantmonk's Guide to Wizard Spells: God's Tools - Part 7: Enchantment

THE SMALLEST ENCHANTMENT GUIDE EVER!!!!

Yes - this enchantment guide is small, wee, minute, and petite.

For those who haven't seen it - there is a very well written and maintained guide to enchantment already:
Enchanter Handbook1) not mind affecting
2) does not grant a Will save

BC: Battlefield Control. This is the spells that involve impeding movement of your opponents - aiding movement of your allies, or in any other way treating the world as your own personal chessboard.

Rating the spells:

Part 7: Enchantment

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:01:11 PM by Dan2 »

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2008, 12:59:25 AM »
Level 1

Shock and awe (SpC): :marx  Mind affecting but no save. This spell can only be cast in a surprise round (circumstantial) to give your opponents a -10 to their initiative.

Rouse (PHB II): :(  Wake up your allies quickly. This spell is intended as a reaction to your party being hit with a sleep spell. This makes it horribly circumstantial.

Level 2

Ray of stupidity (SpC): :evillaugh   :evillaugh   :evillaugh  Mind affecting, subject takes 1d4 +1 Int DAMAGE no save. Very nice, you CANTouch of idiocy (PHB): (Debuff)Mechanus Mind (SpC): (Buff) :(  Mind affecting buff. This spell gives the target a +4 will save vs mind affecting spells and abilities. They also receive a +2 bonus on Int based checks and a -2 on Cha based checks. The 3rd level spell disobedience (complete scoundrel) will make this spell obsolete.

Level 3

Ray of dizziness (SpC): :evillaugh  Basically slow on one target with no saving throw. Awesome!!!

Heroism: (PHB): (Buff)Rage: (PHB): (Buff) :marx  Give allies the benifits of rage - but wait, not really. You actually give 1/2 the benifits of rage and all the drawbacks (except the fatigue at the end). You can affect multiple allies (1 / 3 levels) which is the only reason this spell avoids "non-recommendation" status. Thanks to Trednis for pointing out this spell affected willing targets only...

Level 4

Battle Hymn (SpC): (Buff)Level 5

NothingLevel 6

Greater Heroism: (PHB) (Buff): :thumb  Much like heroism except double the bonuses (+4) and add temporary HP equal to your CL and immunity to fear. Note however that the duration reduces to 1 min/level.

Freezing Glance: (Frost) (Debuff): :evillaugh  Please note the source (which is not a standard sourcebook), but this spell is too good not to mention. Although it does target will - it is not mind-affecting, so mind affecting immunity will not help you. For one round/level, you gain a gaze attack that targets one opponent. That opponent makes a will save or is frozen in place (unable to do anything at all - worse than paralyzation) for 1 min/level. Attacking them grants an additional saving throw. So a 11th level caster is basically getting 11 "spells" from this. (Thanks CantripN for pointing out this spell)

Level 7

Power Word: Blind: (PHB) (Debuff): :marx  You blind one opponent with no saving throw. Note however that SR still works, there is a maximum HP allowed or the spell fails (200 hp), and assuming the creature has over 100 HP, the duration is small (1d4 +1 rounds).

Level 8

Power word: Stun: (PHB) (Debuff):
Level 9

Power word: Kill (PHB) (Debuff???):Final Thoughts: Again, enchantment is a small school - and a specialized school. There are however, a number of very strong "no save" spells. I was surprised and impressed with Rage. Ray of Stupidity and Ray of dizziness were less of a suprise, but each extremely effective.

In the end, I've come to a conclusion that a FS enchanter has an acceptable number of options to use against creatures with a high will save. However, the lack of options against creatures immune to mind-effects is a vulnerability that will only be overcome with non-enchantment spells.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:00:05 PM by Dan2 »