Author Topic: The Land with no Stars  (Read 36949 times)

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: The Land with no Stars
« Reply #260 on: August 11, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »
[spoiler]The bloodhulk will have to move 70 feet to get out of the wall I created, so I don't think we'll see them on a few rounds...

When I am thinking of it, I think I should have made a corner in the end of the silent image, with a dead end there, but well, let's write it down in my (empty) Silent Image trick book... That's right... that was actually the first time I've ever used silent image... so that is said...[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2009, 03:35:38 PM »
[spoiler]Is there enough room/space to charge the blackspawn at this point? I had been moving in a NW direction to begin with...[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
[spoiler]Is there enough room/space to charge the blackspawn at this point? I had been moving in a NW direction to begin with...[/spoiler]

Tree is in the way. Sorry, I forgot you asked a question.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2009, 02:08:49 AM »
[spoiler]In that case, I'll try to move around the tree and grapple the blackspawn. There ought to be enough move to reach him with a standard move action, rather than going in the straight line of a charge, right?[/spoiler]

Sevra, seeing that Arytiss is in trouble, abandons the apparently walled-off abominations and moves toward the newly visible blackspawn. Flexing all four arms, she lunges for it, hoping to grapple with the dragon-spawn long enough to buy Fecerak and Arytiss some time.

[spoiler]Provoking AoO.

Damn, I should just rethink the feat selection or build to fit in Improved Grapple earlier on than the Improved Grab from Bear Warrior. >_>[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: August 24, 2009, 01:03:56 AM »
[spoiler]In that case, I'll try to move around the tree and grapple the blackspawn. There ought to be enough move to reach him with a standard move action, rather than going in the straight line of a charge, right?[/spoiler]

Sevra, seeing that Arytiss is in trouble, abandons the apparently walled-off abominations and moves toward the newly visible blackspawn. Flexing all four arms, she lunges for it, hoping to grapple with the dragon-spawn long enough to buy Fecerak and Arytiss some time.

[spoiler]Provoking AoO.

Damn, I should just rethink the feat selection or build to fit in Improved Grapple earlier on than the Improved Grab from Bear Warrior. >_>[/spoiler]

AoO: 21 attack roll. Damage: 8.

I'll keep that in mind. It may pop up in treasure (I've seen an item that grants Improved Grapple before, and I know a Soulmeld does it).

The Bloodhulk still trapped by the breath weapon struggles, but to no avail.

Back to Fecerak's turn. Round 3 for the Breath Weapon, Round 1 for the Illusion.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:07:43 AM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: August 24, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »
[spoiler]
I'll keep that in mind. It may pop up in treasure (I've seen an item that grants Improved Grapple before, and I know a Soulmeld does it).

Emphasis mine. Sevra is sworn to a Vow of Poverty, meaning no items can be used by her to gain any sort of benefit like this. One thing I'm noticing is that while it's nice to not have to worry about what items do or do not carry over between bear form, as well as magic item/soulmeld interaction, etc, the vow is more trouble than that small peace of mind is worth. I like having a devout character for once for RP reasons, but sacrificing two feats and all the stuff equipment and magic items can potentially provide is becoming harrowing. I can see now that I should have just gotten a list put together with some help, but it's really pretty much too late. I could find a way to break the vow and carry on from there, but that'll involve losing those two feat slots without access to retraining.

I was warned about this, and now it's my burden to bear. :/

Also, sorry to muddle up the game thread with this, but there's no dedicated general discussion thread, and this didn't seem to fit in with any of the other threads.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: August 24, 2009, 02:06:10 AM »
[spoiler]

Emphasis mine. Sevra is sworn to a Vow of Poverty, meaning no items can be used by her to gain any sort of benefit like this. One thing I'm noticing is that while it's nice to not have to worry about what items do or do not carry over between bear form, as well as magic item/soulmeld interaction, etc, the vow is more trouble than that small peace of mind is worth. I like having a devout character for once for RP reasons, but sacrificing two feats and all the stuff equipment and magic items can potentially provide is becoming harrowing. I can see now that I should have just gotten a list put together with some help, but it's really pretty much too late. I could find a way to break the vow and carry on from there, but that'll involve losing those two feat slots without access to retraining.

I was warned about this, and now it's my burden to bear. :/

Also, sorry to muddle up the game thread with this, but there's no dedicated general discussion thread, and this didn't seem to fit in with any of the other threads.[/spoiler]

Ah, right. Well, who knows? You may just find a Psion with PsiReform if you do end up breaking the Vow. I've never been one to punish my players for their alignment choices, though it wouldn't happen immediately if I did.

You may just need to wait for the right Chakra binds, then devote them to the combo melds. Or use Manticore Belt, but your Dex is a little modest for that option, IIRC.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: August 24, 2009, 02:14:19 AM »
[spoiler]If 16 is modest, then I may as well give up now. :O

Sure, it's no rage-bonus 20, but it'll do in a pinch.  ;)[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: August 24, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
[spoiler]If 16 is modest, then I may as well give up now. :O

Sure, it's no rage-bonus 20, but it'll do in a pinch.  ;)[/spoiler]

It's decent. You could run with it, and your 20 Str would boost the damage.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
[spoiler]What size was that blackspawn again?

If it is Large or smaller, I'll try to trip it (if I am close enough)...

Touch attack: 1d20+2=17
Trip: 1d20+9=18
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:01 AM »
[spoiler]What size was that blackspawn again?

If it is Large or smaller, I'll try to trip it (if I am close enough)...

Touch attack: 1d20+2=17
Trip: 1d20+9=18
[/spoiler]

Medium. So move, trip. Got it. He rolled a total of 8, so you tripped him. I'll post actions when I get to the shop.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
The Blackspawn came prepared, and again moves its right arm to reveal the third potion on its bracer. Yet again, it fades from view. This one is on a completely different level compared to the last two you fought, and seems to be prepared to deal with multiple enemies.

The Bloodhulk can't be seen through the illusion, but its ponderous footfalls can be heard loud and clear.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2009, 11:44:47 PM »
[spoiler]Well, the blackspawn can't have gotten anywhere yet (move action to get up, std to drink potion), so I figure Sevra will likely spend her next action hugging air (and will assume that it couldn't have gotten far, if she reacts to the invisibility fast enough). There'll probably be a sizable penalty for not being able to see the blackspawn, but if he takes the AoO, he gives his position away, and if he doesn't, he risks getting grappled. Unless one of those potions is a Potion of "Win the Game"  :P[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2009, 11:58:12 PM »
[spoiler]Well, the blackspawn can't have gotten anywhere yet (move action to get up, std to drink potion), so I figure Sevra will likely spend her next action hugging air (and will assume that it couldn't have gotten far, if she reacts to the invisibility fast enough). There'll probably be a sizable penalty for not being able to see the blackspawn, but if he takes the AoO, he gives his position away, and if he doesn't, he risks getting grappled. Unless one of those potions is a Potion of "Win the Game"  :P[/spoiler]

You must really hate the 5ft step right now, don't you?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »
[spoiler]There's not much I can do besides wait for it to strike again, or go back for the bloodhulks. Of course, I don't know exactly where Fecerak moved to be adjacent to it right now, so I'm a little fuzzy on the map-placement pre-invis. Sevra wouldn't just wait for her allies to get hurt again, so there's got to be something I can do. Regardless of the 5-ft step, the logic is still sound that he couldn't have gotten far.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »
[spoiler]There's not much I can do besides wait for it to strike again, or go back for the bloodhulks. Of course, I don't know exactly where Fecerak moved to be adjacent to it right now, so I'm a little fuzzy on the map-placement pre-invis. Sevra wouldn't just wait for her allies to get hurt again, so there's got to be something I can do. Regardless of the 5-ft step, the logic is still sound that he couldn't have gotten far.[/spoiler]

And with 4 arms, you have better odds of finding him.

Good point about the map problem. I'll see if I can piece together a map really quick.

Edit:

Sorry if you aren't in the ideal positions, I just followed what you posted. The Blackspawn's last location was between the three of you, just north of Arytiss.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:46:05 AM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2009, 06:11:03 AM »
[spoiler]So, we don't get an AoO for him standing up? Or from him drinking the potion?

How did that happen? I thought both of those actions provoked an AoO o_O[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »
[spoiler]So, we don't get an AoO for him standing up? Or from him drinking the potion?

How did that happen? I thought both of those actions provoked an AoO o_O[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The SRD indicates that this is correct. Both actions provoke AoO,, so depending on its sequence of actions, it may have provoked twice, though if it drank first Sinfire may rule that we can't tell when/where the blackspawn was to attack it when it stood up. Afterall, you wouldn't know if it just crawled away instead of standing up. The actions for the blackspawn, as provided, are fuzzy on what order they were performed, but at the very least it would provoke for drinking the potion. (None of us have Combat Reflexes anyway, so only one AoO matters in this case)[/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »
[spoiler]Do I get IF for attacking a prone enemy? I think so as JaronK has said several times that you could get IF with grease, but IDK...

Also, I am sick atm, but I'll still be much on my computer (I probably have the new flu, don't know what it's name is on english, directly translated would be swine-flu :P [/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »

Drinking the potion, yes, that would under normal circumstances. He's wearing a Potion Bracer, which prevented drawing the potion from provoking. Drinking it still does, so I'll let you roll it for that. Him standing up happens only if he becomes invisible.

[spoiler]Do I get IF for attacking a prone enemy? I think so as JaronK has said several times that you could get IF with grease, but IDK...

Also, I am sick atm, but I'll still be much on my computer (I probably have the new flu, don't know what it's name is on english, directly translated would be swine-flu :P [/spoiler]

Grease specifically denies a target their Dex. Prone only imposes a -4 AC/Attack penalty for the prone creature.

[spoiler][/spoiler]