Author Topic: Rulings Questions and Discussion thread  (Read 2442 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Rulings Questions and Discussion thread
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »
This thread is for debating a particular ruling. Feel free to gab here, but try to keep it on-topic.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Rulings Questions and Discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
Can I "wipe spells off my mind" to write them in a spellbook, using factotum spell-likes, or is that limited to only spells?

(Or is it removed, haven't read it in PHB 3.5 yet, only in 3.0)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »
Can I "wipe spells off my mind" to write them in a spellbook, using factotum spell-likes, or is that limited to only spells?

(Or is it removed, haven't read it in PHB 3.5 yet, only in 3.0)

Scrolls work like that, and Warlocks have a class feature that does this with Invocations (allowing them to use them in place of actual spells when crafting magic items).

Is there something you have in mind, like Alacritous Cogitation for a Factotum?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »
I was thinking to remove my factotum spells from my daily alloitment to write them into the spellbook I am going to use as a Chameleon...

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
I was thinking to remove my factotum spells from my daily alloitment to write them into the spellbook I am going to use as a Chameleon...

That's no problem with me.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 04:38:36 PM »
Ok

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 01:13:29 AM »
So, are the alignment-based colors for speech applying to our dialogue as well? Or do we just choose a color best suited to our characters, as normal?
---

I'll go with the alignment-based coloring to start, and will edit it if we go separate. I could understand sticking with this, since it helps prevent someone from choosing... *shudder* yellow text.  :puke
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:15:35 AM by VennDygrem »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »
So, are the alignment-based colors for speech applying to our dialogue as well? Or do we just choose a color best suited to our characters, as normal?
---

I'll go with the alignment-based coloring to start, and will edit it if we go separate. I could understand sticking with this, since it helps prevent someone from choosing... *shudder* yellow text.  :puke

Either or, it's your choice. I do it to let you know if you should be on guard or not.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 05:55:45 AM »
Magic Items that provide a constant bonus to your ability scores cannot be suppressed by Dispel effects, and are unaffected by MDJ.

I should have made that ruling a long time ago. Getting it out of the way now, so you guys can relax on that part. Just remember that this goes both ways.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:14:27 PM »
Quote from: Bogsnes
why do you always use your racial breath weapon? especially when it has a bigger recharge?

I believe it's because he can pick the energy type. The DFA's BW is set to Fire by default, and while he can change it to something else, it can't be done every round.

If he has the BW Augment for Acid damage, for example, he can apply it to one breath weapon this round, and then has to wait until the round after the next to use the Acid version again. The Dragonborn's BW, on the other hand, has no such restriction and can be picked on the fly. Against an enemy like the Whitespawn you guys are fighting (who has the obvious vulnerability to Fire) the DFA's BW is much more valuable. He should be using it at every opportunity he can, adding in Entangling Exhalation each time (even with the reduced damage, you'd be dealing an average of 10 points each use).

Once he gets either the Discorporating Breath or the Fivefold Breath, he'll probably use the DFA's more often. If he combines the Fivefold breath with the Shape Breath metabreath feat from the Draconomicon, he'll end up with 5 60ft cones; two acid, one fire, one electricity, and one cold. Each one would deal 9d8 damage (spirit cincture), and would likely carry with it Clinging Breath, Entangling Breath, and Tempest Breath. Maybe Maximize and Heighten, depending on if he wants to use it again in that encounter or not. 36 damage of each energy type is nasty enough (what they are immune/resistant to is a pain in the ass), add in Clinging Breath for extra impact, and Tempest Breath to play with the battlefield.

Also note: A good feat to look into is the Exhaled Barrier feat from Races of the Dragon. That+Fivefold or Discorporating Breath= Wall of Suicide. Add in the Defenestrating Sphere spell, Bull Rushes, and other methods of forcing them into the wall, and you've got a nasty trump card. The Greater Slide spell would be a good thing to have on your Chameleon's spell list, Bogsnes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]