Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 9869 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Star Wars
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »
altpersona: Remember that before Yoda became the leader of the High Council, the troubles had already started during the era of Mace Windu. Also, the Sith had been preparing for the one thing in shadows since before Yoda was born. Darth Bane started the revolution that eventually shattered the Republic, but unfortunately for his legacy there was no competent Dark Lord to keep the power in the hands of the Sith. Sidious was a pompous fool, Vader was never trained up to his potential, Dooku made the fatal mistake of trusting his master and Maul was nothing but a pussy. The Empire would've been a lot better of with Darth Plagueis.

Essentially, Sidious and his cronies didn't have the capacity to finish what Bane had begun.

Favorite character?  Mace Windu.  The fucker is the inventor and only master of the 7th style of lightsabre combat, Vaapath.  Thats fucking cool, man.
I believe the inventor of the form was never discovered. For example Darth Revan drops to the Vaapath ready stance when Shan and few others attacks him. That was 4000 years before Mace Windu. And at least Maul used it.

After a quick check to confirm, I can safely say that there are two variants of Form VII: Juyo, used by lightsaber wielders like Maul and the others Tshern mentions, and Vaapad, which is a variation that Mace Windu invents.
Most interesting, thanks. A vast majority of my knowledge comes from comics I've read years ago, so whatever I say might not be entirely correct.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:57:41 PM by Tshern »

Handy Links

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »
i have abit of trouble with the idea of sith traditionalists (rule of two'ers) keeping a long term (1k yrs) plan going...

i agree maul suct.

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »
Rule of Two is a new invention really. Darth Bane was the one who made it and told all the other Sith to follow it. He also took the Sith underground, invisible to the watchful eyes of the Jedi Order. That is why everyone had hard time to believe Qui-Gon Jinn had faced a Sith on Tattoiine back in Episode I.

And in the movie Maul had great feats. He even looked Anakin with a binocular. And that would be pretty much it then.

Handy Links

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »

And in the movie Maul had great feats. He even looked Anakin with a binocular. And that would be pretty much it then.
i dont follow.

im aware of the history back to bane..

Anim-manga sux.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »
I meant that some of the great achievements Maul ever performed in the movies was watching Anakin through a binocular, that's how much he sucked.

Handy Links

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »
ah, ok,

no argument on that.

Anim-manga sux.

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 04:53:15 AM »
I don't know how, after reading all the books, Han Solo is not your favorite SW character.

He is fricken awesome, consistant, down to earth, you name it.

If the NJO series never came out and 'the incident' hadn't happened SW would be such a better fantasy realm - Vong SUCK!

Corran Horn is cool to pre-NJO.

My favorite time period was actually in between episodes 3 and 4, when the rebelion is just starting out and everything is going to shit. After Episode 6 but before NJO was really awesome as well.

All this lightsaber style stuff is obsolete anyway because it was all (most of it anyway) lost in the great purge; how often, ABV, do we have lightsaber battles anyway?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 07:49:09 AM »
Dude, Han Solo is my second favourite in sheer coolness. Only Lando Calrissian goes before him in that department. I mean, Han Solo owned Boba Fett while being blind and has the most effective shooting stance ever.

I have read very little about the times of New Jedi Order, I always found the era when Jedi were everywhere to be more fun.

Handy Links

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »
Haven't read a whole lot of the books but I always like Dash Rendar, he's pretty cool

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »
Dude, Han Solo is my second favourite in sheer coolness. Only Lando Calrissian goes before him in that department. I mean, Han Solo owned Boba Fett while being blind and has the most effective shooting stance ever.

I have read very little about the times of New Jedi Order, I always found the era when Jedi were everywhere to be more fun.

This is why Boba Fett sucks. He was completely owned by a blind man swinging a stick.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
See, thats something I've never understood.  The bounty hunters are supposed to be badass, "Jedi Killers", as they were.  But they always die so freakin easy!!  As you said, a blind guy with a stick can beat 'em up, so what the hell?

Also, what are the boards' thoughts on SW: The Old Republic, the MMO?  Me, I'm stoked.  I'll have it pre-ordered, I'm most definitely gonna be one of the first on the servers.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
in the books that were prior to EP 1,2 n 3 the bounty hunters were given backgrounds... if i recall boba was the only one who was not a shmuck, and then he joined the crowd as a ... shmuck..

ig88 being a bot wasnt toooo shmucky, but still abit. (i really dont recall much of that part...)

Anim-manga sux.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 07:26:13 PM »
Also, what are the boards' thoughts on SW: The Old Republic, the MMO?  Me, I'm stoked.  I'll have it pre-ordered, I'm most definitely gonna be one of the first on the servers.
Haven't read anything of it yet. It's going to have a monthly fee, isn't it? Anyway, I know the main plot line there and if I have the money, I'll probably get it. When is it published anyway?

Also, I wouldn't call Boba Fett a loser per se, he was a clone of pretty much the most perfect non-Jedi human being alive. Apart from Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, that is.

Handy Links

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »
correct, he was top notch, until he wasnt..

Anim-manga sux.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »
Until he figured dueling Mace Windu was a good idea.

Handy Links

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 06:54:24 AM »
jedi hamlet:

Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:13 PM »
Tshern, have you read either the Lando Calrissian or Han Solo adventures? As a fellow fan of both characters, I can recommend them as being pretty decent. At least, they were ~10 years ago when I read them.

Incidentally, as awesome as Han Solo is, esp. in the movies, I really have to agree with you that Lando is the more badass of the two. He's more cultured and intellectual, less likely to solve problems by shooting at them. Not that Han is stupid or anything, but he's a good deal rougher.

As to general Star Wars-i-ness, I've read everything up to the end of the NJO. I couldn't stomach the crap that was the Swarm War, and I have absolutely no knowledge of what has come since. I haven't read all of the Clone War-era books or most of the comic books either.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »
Currently watching The Clone Wars CG movie.

I gotta say I don't hate it. Not extraordinarily great, but at least it's entertaining.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Bryan_0697

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »

This is why Boba Fett sucks. He was completely owned by a blind man swinging a stick.

Just so you guys know, Boba Fett didn't die in Return the the Jedi. He blew himself up with thermal detinators and got launched out of the pit; where Dengar picked him up along with a twi'lek stripper and nursed him back to health.

So Boba Fett is still pretty badass!

In one of the books I read it said that Boba Fett was a gaurdian (like a super police officer) on Alderaan and he was kicked out for killing somone with his bare hands - so he became a Bounty Hunter (changed his name of course) So the whole clone thing I think is just some BS pulled out of Georges ass in order to get a 'Boba Fett like' character into the newer movies - hence the entire clone of Jango thing.

Or the Boba Fett we all know and love isn't the same one as the kid in episode 2 and he just stole his identity.

I don't personally think Bounty Hunters were the real jedi killers, I'm pretty sure they had force trained mother cluckers with these wierd force detecting machines to find 'em.
Backed up by tons of storm troopers and star destroyers of course. Darth Vader probably killed quie a few himself, as well.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
I never said he died. He just got ingested by the Sarlacc. Admittedly, he got it to regurgitate him by detonating his jet pack, but he was still ingested at least two more times. That's got to count for something.

And the period where Boba worked on Concord Dawn was after his early bounty hunting days, around the time he married Sintas.

As for Jedi hunters, there's HK-47 and Atton, just off the top of my head. Granted, Atton is Force Sensitive, but he didn't use those abilities much when going after Jedi. It's not infeasible for someone to take down a Jedi just because they aren't Force Sensitive.