Author Topic: ToB/Psionic character - with bloodlines for only 2.99  (Read 1887 times)

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
ToB/Psionic character - with bloodlines for only 2.99
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »
Well, I'm doing this mostly for fun. I've been trying to make a Swordsage/Ardent character for some time, but I'm not entirely happy with what I've come with. So, here I am, looking for some advice. I would welcome pretty much any advice on this topic. Let's get started.

1.-Basic Assumptions

This is a personal challenge, not intended for real play (Though I would love to play it someday), so I have created some constrains to work with.

-Playable through 1-20.
-Epic Ready.
-Solo Character.
-Swordsage Based.
-It should maintain some kind of coherence/theme.
-Any official WotC book, included campaign specific ones, and any Unearthed Arcana material that doesn't alter the core mechanics (no fractional attack, gestalt, etc).
-I don't like flaws, but I will use them if I have to. They feel like cheating...

That's it for now. This is what I had come with 'till now:

2-Basic Build

Race: Half-Elf (Reason: Eternal Blade, Multiclass Penalty)

Ardent 4
Swordsage (Unarmed Variant) 1
Bloodline 1
Swordsage +1
Sanctified Mind 4
Bloodline +1
Sanctified Mind +2
Eternal Blade 4
Any of: {Eternal Blade +1, Swordsage +1}, {Swordsage +1, Eternal Blade +1} , {Swordsage +2}

Feats:
1-Iron Will
1(flaw)-Psionic Weapon
3-Intuitive Attack
5(Swordsage)-Weapon Focus
6-Practiced Manifester
9-Deep Impact
12-Psychic Meditation
15-Adaptative Style
18-Linked Power

Chosen Bloodline: Djinn.
Mantles: Freedom (Great powers), Time (Time Hop for utility, some others for utility), ????
Powers: reselected appropriately by means of Psychic Reformation whenever needed.
Maneuvers: Diamond Mind and shadow hand mostly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I would welcome any suggestions, even if they don't fit with the basic build I've posted, though I would prefer to keep it mostly unchanged. Anyway, I have some doubts first:

1-Mantles: Which mantles are good?
2-Bloodline: Djinn looks like an obvious choice for a character as focused on wisdom as this one, and the other bonuses look great (Improved Initiative, Dodge, +1 Natural AC, energy resistance, bonuses to concentration...) but I'm not sure...
3-Intuitive Attack: Worth it?
4-Last two levels. Sws 4 means 2 fixed 8th level maneuvers and wis to dmg with maneuvers, but EB 5 means an 8th level stance and an additional use of Eternal training per day...

Comments? Thanks in advance.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: ToB/Psionic character - with bloodlines for only 2.99
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:20:54 PM »
(1) ... Any. The Mind's Eye update for the Ardent has Substitute Powers.
It's either pick your own powers, or your DM pretends to be grumpy and pick your own powers.
You get 2/3rds the powers of a Psion, so what's the problem ??
The Magic mantle gets the UMD / UPD crossover double up thingy; always tasty.

(2) ... I prefer Titan for the level 12 supersized weapon thingy. 2WF with a Treant as the weapon. Really.
(2a) ... Phoenix00 used Bloodlines to get ridiculously early 9th level powers. (hint hint)
(2b) ... Practiced Manifester is mandatory to get to the 4th level powers on time, but a coin flip about some level 3s. Depends.
You could wait on it til 9th level, maybe. And isn't necessary if you take the hint above.
(2c) ... I don't know swordsage or EBlade, but you are trading a 9th level Power for the 5th Psi "caster" level lost ... unless you're not.
Losing 4 manifester levels is OK, losing #5 is harder to justify.
(2d) ... If you can fit in Metamorphic Transfer feat, do it.

3 + 4 ... I can't help.

Have fun.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »
First, let me thank you for the input, DM_golem.

Ok, looking at your suggestions:

(1) ... Any. The Mind's Eye update for the Ardent has Substitute Powers.
It's either pick your own powers, or your DM pretends to be grumpy and pick your own powers.
You get 2/3rds the powers of a Psion, so what's the problem ??
The Magic mantle gets the UMD / UPD crossover double up thingy; always tasty.

While this is a great idea, I'm trying to avoid using any DM dependant material, except maybe for the standard assumption of a high magic world and the avaiable books. So I don't think Substitute Powers should be interesting here (but if I ever play this character and a DM allows me to choose the powers of each mantle... Well, I think I would end using a pure ardent.)

(2) ... I prefer Titan for the level 12 supersized weapon thingy. 2WF with a Treant as the weapon. Really.

After reading it I can understand why. A Gargantuan Hammer is something to be feared... But that means that I would have to get a greater bloodline. I'm not sure, I'll think about it >.<

(2a) ... Phoenix00 used Bloodlines to get ridiculously early 9th level powers. (hint hint)

Where? I know I've seen it, but I can find it -_-U.

(2c) ... I don't know swordsage or EBlade, but you are trading a 9th level Power for the 5th Psi "caster" level lost ... unless you're not.
Losing 4 manifester levels is OK, losing #5 is harder to justify.

I think I lost you there. According to my math, the build above gets IL 15 and ML 15, sweet spot for both 8th level maneuvers and powers. I know that means the character will be less powerful than a full ML/IL character, but I prefer to keep both balanced, for thematic reasons.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
^I think he's referring to Erudite + multi-prestige classing.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »
Ardent 16 / X classes 4 , with the Practiced Manifester feat, gets the full top end casting.
Ardent 15 / X classes 5 , with the Practiced Manifester feat, trades 1 9th level power : for the level of Class X.
If Class X has a level, that is worth a 9th level power, then do it.

Ardent 16 / X classes 4, without the PM feat, gets Dispel Psionics, Schism, Metamorph, etc,
FOUR levels later, massively violating 2 of Caelic's ten commandments.
But it might be worth it ... unfortunately I don't know ToB or Eternal Blade.
So this just the general principles, and certainly might not be what you want.
If you can fit in PM feat, do it.
If you can buy a Psycho Skin of Proteus, do it.
If you can fit in Metamorphic Transfer, do it.
But this a standard psi approach, and can be a little boring.

I googled: Phoenix00 + Bloodlines
and got the original thread. I forgot how good that was.