Author Topic: Tiefling Paladin  (Read 5246 times)

fliprushman

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Tiefling Paladin
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:05:18 AM »
http://mydndgame.com/character/1637/sheet

I've got the character set up to be a healer and defender but it needs a little more direction.  Can you help?
Blah!

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Tiefling Paladin
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 06:38:21 AM »
Long term, I don't think he'll be much of a healer if you don't pump Wis.  And if you do push Wis then you'll have to drop either Cha or Str as an attack stat.  This is probably a good idea, and you should probably do it from the start. 

The problem: Cha paladins have no melee basic attacks, and Str paladins have few good powers at high levels.  Divine power should fix the Str paladin in a month or two.  PHB2 will fix the Cha paladin in a couple of days - there's a feat that lets you do melee basics with any stat that you want.

So you have free rein - but I'd focus on one or the other.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »
The only time you'd use a melee basic attack is when you're making an AoO or a Charge, therefore avoiding charges and taking Blade Opportunist for the +2 on AoOs is the way to go there.

That said, it's far more efficient for Paladins to use EITHER Strength OR Charisma.  Those that pick Strength are a lot simpler, but don't have any really tasty powers until very late in the game (Divine Power should change this).  Those that pick Charisma are pretty much the opposite, and in this case you'll definitely want to aim for feats like Blade Opportunist and Heavy Blade Opportunity to cover for your inherent lack of AoO efficiency.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »
If you aim to be a Defender/Healer hybrid, CHA/WIS is the way to go. Unfortunately it implies lowering quite a bit your defenses (CHA and WIS being keyed to Will). I'd suggest looking at the Hospitalier Paragon Path and build yourself toward it. If you want to be a healer, no paragon path will come close to this one.

Stats wise, I second (third?) choosing either STR or CHA as your primary attack stat. Chances are that you will want to go with CHA for more Leader-ish powers. Anyway, Bolstering Strike and Enfeebling Strike are probably the best At-wills you can get for a Paladin :)

For Feats, right now there is not a lot to get. Best choices are probably Healing Hands, Channel Divnity (don't know your god, seem Home made, ask your DM what his Channel divinity is) and probably Toughness. As soon as PH2 is released, make sure you get Melee Training (CHA to Basic Attacks), it will greatly improve your "stickiness".

fliprushman

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »
This character is for a Eberron game and the DM gave me a little leway on the Channel Divinity.  That's why I have Berranor's Resolve from the PGtF.  I did notice that the most of the Paladin's best powers are Charisma based and that's why I asked.  Is there anyways though to optimize a Paladin to use both Str and Cha?  I may just lower the healing down a little if there is.  If not, I'd like my healing to be awesome, so do you think the multiclass feat for cleric is worth taking for extra healing?
Blah!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 12:19:02 AM »
At this moment there is no significant synergy between Strength and Charisma for Paladins.  Your powers will use one or the other and only one high-level power uses both.

Eepop

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Eep...Eepop...Eepop Ananamus
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »
You are really much better off focusing on the Charisma/Wisdom build as a Tiefling Paladin.  Their largest weakness is not having good basic attacks as was mentioned before, butt what was not mentioned is that PHB 2 has a feat that fixes this problem splendidly as it allows you to use an ability score of your choice for melee basics.

Also, when possible, try to get a flaming sword (the one that lets you turn damage into fire damage), then you can get the tiefling feat that gives a bonus to attack rolls and damage with fire.

fliprushman

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
Oh, now that's a shiny trick.  I will do that.
Blah!

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
The only time you'd use a melee basic attack is when you're making an AoO or a Charge, therefore avoiding charges and taking Blade Opportunist for the +2 on AoOs is the way to go there.

Again, I'd strongly recommend the feat "Melee Training" from PHB2 instead.  It will be worth a greater hit bonus, work for damage as well, and apply to all melee basic attacks, wherever they arise.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 01:41:54 AM »

Again, I'd strongly recommend the feat "Melee Training" from PHB2 instead.  It will be worth a greater hit bonus, work for damage as well, and apply to all melee basic attacks, wherever they arise.
I don't have PHB II at the moment, but that's definitely something to get.

Eepop

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Eep...Eepop...Eepop Ananamus
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »
Supposedly coming out in the US today, hoping to pick mine up this afternoon.