Author Topic: Review Episode #2: Origins Awards Lightning Round  (Read 13976 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Review Episode #2: Origins Awards Lightning Round
« on: May 26, 2008, 01:03:48 PM »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
Re: Review Episode #2: Origins Awards Lightning Round
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »
Grimm sounds really interesting, so I'm really looking forward to the full review. Though I highly doubt I'd be able to get either of my gaming groups interested.

And just as an aside on the conversation about Ed Greenwood and his appreciation of the feminine form, Meg said something to the effect of 'I've met Ed Greenwood several times and he's never looked me in the face.' To be fair, I've spent some time with Meg and I think I'd have a much better shot at guessing her cup size than telling you what color eyes she has...  :flirt
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
If No Quarter deserves an ugly, White Dwarf deserves a hideously misshapen mutant.

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:45:08 AM »
Grimm sounds intriguing, I'd play that on a lark.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:50:22 AM »
White Dwarf was not nominated. 

And let me preface this statement by saying I have not seen white dwarf in years but this is what I remember:

40 pages of Ads, 1 article 2 pages, 40 pages of ads, pictures of painted minis 2 pages, 40 pages of ads.   

If they gave the magazine away I would consider it a deal.  Considering you pay for it, not so much.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »
I listened to this show almost entirely to hear your reasons for putting No Quarter into "Ugly."  I'm glad your entire complaint is based around it being shoved into the wrong category.  No Quarter is actually a decent publication, Privateer Press has put out fun miniature's game based on a fun Steampunk setting, and their 3PP OGL product is really fun and IMO better balanced than 3.x core.

Then again, I might be biased, as I've sunk almost $1500 into PP's stuff  :love

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:50:22 AM »
I listened to this show almost entirely to hear your reasons for putting No Quarter into "Ugly." 

[Mr. Burns Voice] Exceeelllllent [/voice]

I decided to put up where we ranked everything hoping that maybe "anger" alone would make some people listen :)

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
 it's regrettable that there are not enough choices out there to make a periodical category viable. I have only seen two issues of no quarter, but it seemed like a well thought out publication. Maybe the category should be nonfiction or periodical. This might eliminate the need to have Ed Greenwood have anything to do with it.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
No Quarter's largest glaring flaw is that it is a bi-monthly small publication that tries to support every aspect of Privateer Press' catalog.  If you are only interested in one of their many games, you end up with rather little content directed at you.

Overall, great show.  Got my interested in Grimm when I was ready to pass it off as another poor attempt at fantasy.  I'm looking forward to more review shows.

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
This episode made me very very angry.  And hungry.  But mostly angry.  I noticed it was only half an hour long.  While I do agree with some wit out there who said something along the lines of 'say what you need to then shut up', I would like to say that I enjoy hearing BG's thoughts and such enough that I felt like wanting my other half hour.  More stuff please.  And pie.  I like pie.
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 06:38:58 PM »
When we add in the reviews that go along with this, it will all together be a few hours, so we wanted to keep this short.  My goal for shows in general is about 45 minutes.  We've gone way over a couple of times (had to upgrade our friggin hosting just to get episode 13 up!), but this is great to know that 30 min may just be too short.

As for the pie.  Cake my friend. It's all about the cake. 

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
Best quote thus far (PS:  Please make hour long reviews of stuff and I'll get you some cake when we eventually meet.  I'm a fat guy so I knows good cake.) was:

"From an adult point of view, kids are stupid."  (Was that Zeke?  Heck, I have a 50/50 chance here).

I'm just imaging the talk with his son or daughter:

"You are stupid.  I love you, but frankly, you are dumb as a box of rocks."

That's awesome.  Not great positive reinforcement, but darned funny.
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »
That was Josh who said kids are stupid.  Both Zeke and I have worked with young'uns in our past, so we just sort of sat there in shock when he said that.  It was too funny.

We're putting together a clip show... I'll make sure that one gets in there :)

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »
A clip show is a very good idea.  Sadly, I don't have the time to make a HC one but it is good to start collecting those clips near the beginning if you are going to make one yes.  Good thinking.

PS:  Good sound quality.

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 01:08:34 AM »
The un-promised reply to your podcast wrt Cortex:

If you have to judge it purely mechanically; then yes, Cortex leaves more than a bit to be desired.  What it is though (I'm speaking purely for Serenity [I have no love for BSG... the show, or anything else]) is fun.  You can sit down with a bunch of folks, whip up some characters, and get going relatively quickly.  I think the fast and loose system fits the universe.  It does drive me up the wall to be so GM dependent, but I've played Paranoia, so it could be worse.  It does suck that I'm trying to digest the 4e rules while I'm learning enough of the Cortex system to be at least a competent member of the party, but it's not so bad.
"...Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamines; so I can sound fresh and say dope things in between..."

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 01:12:34 AM »
Now I have to listen to the rest of your podcasts though... luckily it's Sunday.
"...Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamines; so I can sound fresh and say dope things in between..."

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 03:01:21 AM »
If you have to judge it purely mechanically; then yes, Cortex leaves more than a bit to be desired. 
Well, no need to read any further.  Given the fact that there are good games, there is no reason to play bad ones.

Also lets be clear, there are occasions when buying a setting book gives you valuable world info and insight.  This is not one of those times.  If they had bothered to do a good job there, I would recommend getting the book and just using another system.

Look at it from another angle.  Sit down and come up with a list of things that are interesting or important about Firefly/Serenity.  You will see things like interpersonal relationships, dealing with social issues, making choices between various bad choices and so forth.  Everything that is interesting or cool about serenity, other than shooting a gun, is not part of cortex.  And I have 50 better designed gun shooting games. 

Of course you are not GMing, so play the game and have fun with your friends.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »
Before we get off on you bringing up the mechanical shortcomings and me agreeing with you but continuing to play anyway.  Allow me to say yes, there are better mechanically designed games... we agree.  Since gaming occurs with gamers who are people in real life, there are always conditions and gray areas.  These conditions give modifiers to situations that might make one system more desirable than another.
If you have to judge it purely mechanically; then yes, Cortex leaves more than a bit to be desired. 
Well, no need to read any further.  Given the fact that there are good games, there is no reason to play bad ones.

{snip}

Of course you are not GMing, so play the game and have fun with your friends.
The first part of your statement is a value judgment and a false dichotomy.  If the rule system made it unplayable then yes, there would be no reason to play it.  The fact is that it's not unplayable (for my group), it is underdeveloped.  Now we're back to what works with the group, and for my group it works... and there is the truth in the end of your reply.

If I had to run it, I'd probably use the Shatterzone or SR4 with some number crunched space rules. 

The GM is in a rebellious mood because he feels constrained by the fact that most things in D&D have rules.  He likes to run off the cuff, so Cortex works great for him because he gets to plaster over all of the holes in the rules and he's happy.  I don't have to try to learn a lot of rules concurrent with D&D4e, so it works for me (and the other players).

Even though my writing style is not smiley, I have not developed a rhetorical vendetta against you.

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
I think that we have a sort of world view difference here. The three of us (especially myself and Josh) are of the opinion that a game is only as good as its mechanics and that even if you enjoyed a game with flawed mechanics, you would have enjoyed it more if the mechanics were tighter. I have to agree with Josh that I'd rather not play a game whose mechanics irritate me. I hope by now that you have listened to our media franchise episode which outlines our "in the spirit of"  philosophy.Don't worry about offending us, We here at B.G. embrace the motto "if you can't argue with your friends, what kind of friends do you have?"
 Also I noticed you have a Yankee cap in your avatar, and I wanted to let you know that there are now several good treatments available for that particular  psychiatric illness.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:57:05 PM by Zeke »

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »
My favorite "treatment" for my Yankees ailment is viewing the treasure trove of World Series and ALCS hardware... holla back when y'all have a comparable total.

Disagree about the rules opinion.  The mechanic does not create the fun.  Matter of fact there are times where stupid mechanics add to my enjoyment of the game (Bad example, but "Trenchcoat effect" anyone; if not how about "Chunky salsa"?).  Is this the case with Cortex?  Couldn't tell you, we haven't played it enough yet.

Stop trying to sell me Burning Savageness.  I'm halfway through 'cast 11, and it's starting to sound like paid ad placement.  I'm glad y'all like it, but it's becoming your panacea... it's almost like your personal Cyrinishad.  I know how much you love Greenwood and his works (or things that might resemble him or his works), so take that as my commitment to giving effective criticism.