Author Topic: Contingency, lolwut?  (Read 4057 times)

Farodin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Contingency, lolwut?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »

What's the rationale behind choosing something like: "Whenever some charges/casts Disjunction/summons Cthulhu" when you could pick: "Whenever I say Blank"?
A) You could be asleep/stunned/paralyzed/in a zone of silence/caught blind-sided/flat footed/hit by an invisible spell
B) Every GM I've seen (and whenever I GM), it's ruled as being exactly the same as a command word trigger.  After all, wands can be triggered by "whenever you say Mellon", but it's still a standard action.

But for wands you still need to apply at least some special knowledge about spellcasting. Not for Contingencies, that's really just saying the word.
Still, the incapacitated/flatfooted argument is enough to make it trigger in some other way than through speaking of course, plus as Jameswilliamogle said, it comes across a lot less cheesy.
I own your soul now.
I can see what you see not, vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind - cast down into the halls of the blind.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Contingency, lolwut?
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »

What's the rationale behind choosing something like: "Whenever some charges/casts Disjunction/summons Cthulhu" when you could pick: "Whenever I say Blank"?
A) You could be asleep/stunned/paralyzed/in a zone of silence/caught blind-sided/flat footed/hit by an invisible spell
B) Every GM I've seen (and whenever I GM), it's ruled as being exactly the same as a command word trigger.  After all, wands can be triggered by "whenever you say Mellon", but it's still a standard action.

In spite of the fact that it's stronger.

But for wands you still need to apply at least some special knowledge about spellcasting. Not for Contingencies, that's really just saying the word.
Still, the incapacitated/flatfooted argument is enough to make it trigger in some other way than through speaking of course, plus as Jameswilliamogle said, it comes across a lot less cheesy.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!