Author Topic: Major development, need confirmation  (Read 1232 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Major development, need confirmation
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:21:14 AM »
Quote from: Some guy at Gleemax
You are close but still wrong buddy. As errata'd and shown in Magic Item Compendium, a weapon can have a maximum of +5 enhancement and +5 ability bonus. That said you are right in that you can have a +1 sword with a +5 ability bonus.

Until you get to a +6 enhancement bonus on the blade(which requires an epic crafter and a weapon thats already got +5 enhancement and +5 ability) you cannot add another ability to it. Also of note, I don't know the exact amount but once a weapon gets so many bonuses on it it becomes an artifact or relic(not sure which term applies). At that point it cannot be enhanced further without some crazy epic spellcraft checks to cast the spells needed.

Relevant thread and context.

Someone confirm this, I don't have access to a MiC at the moment.

If it's true, non-casters just got a huge nerf.

Edit: Turns out the person misread the MiC. Never mind, move along.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:57:39 AM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

sonofzeal

• Curious George
Re: Major development, need confirmation
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:50:58 AM »
Huge?  I don't know; I've been playing melee characters by preference for just about my whole D&D career, and I can't remember a single build I've had that required a weapon with more than +5 in miscellaneous bonuses.  Pricing for those bonuses scales exponentially, but the actual bonus generally scales linearly; beyond a certain point, you're better off doing other things - like buying more Belts of Battle to switch out as needed, or paying high-level casters to PAO you.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:24:32 AM »
Huge?  I don't know; I've been playing melee characters by preference for just about my whole D&D career, and I can't remember a single build I've had that required a weapon with more than +5 in miscellaneous bonuses.  Pricing for those bonuses scales exponentially, but the actual bonus generally scales linearly; beyond a certain point, you're better off doing other things - like buying more Belts of Battle to switch out as needed, or paying high-level casters to PAO you.

You can also just pay for a Pearl of Power so the party Wizard or Cleric can cast Greater Magic Weapon on your primary one, thus allowing you o wield a +1/+9 weapon without fear. The result actually works better than +5/+5, which is why I posted this thread (losing that benefit drops your damage significantly).

For comparison, a 3rd level Pearl of Power costs far less than the Belt of Battle, and makes you more effective for every attack you make within the next 20+ hours. The Belt works up to 3 times per day, only works for that one action each use. Granted having both is a wonderful thing (possible if you have good friends), but between having two Belts or one Belt and a supremely effective weapon I'd rather have the weapon.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

sonofzeal

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:36:43 AM »
You can also just pay for a Pearl of Power so the party Wizard or Cleric can cast Greater Magic Weapon on your primary one, thus allowing you o wield a +1/+9 weapon without fear. The result actually works better than +5/+5, which is why I posted this thread (losing that benefit drops your damage significantly).

For comparison, a 3rd level Pearl of Power costs far less than the Belt of Battle, and makes you more effective for every attack you make within the next 20+ hours. The Belt works up to 3 times per day, only works for that one action each use. Granted having both is a wonderful thing (possible if you have good friends), but between having two Belts or one Belt and a supremely effective weapon I'd rather have the weapon.
Point is, there's a lot of things to be spending gold on, and beyond a few particular enhancements that go with the build, I generally put enchanting the weapon as a fairly low priority.  The 38,000 gp to go from a +9 to a +10 may not sound like a lot compared to lvl20 gold, but I can usually find better things to spend it on.  That said, I've only recently acquired MIC and its wealth of weapon enhancements to draw on, so perhaps future builds will be weighted more in that direction.  Still, I wouldn't rank it as a "major development" either way.  And apparently it was all a misunderstanding in the first place.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:56:56 AM »
And apparently it was all a misunderstanding in the first place.

True. I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

[spoiler][/spoiler]