Author Topic: The "Thing's Im not allowed to do while gaming" thread  (Read 10969 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: The "Thing's Im not allowed to do while gaming" thread
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
I am not allowed to build characters in BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) with immunities based on D&D attack forms/special attacks and conditions. (e.g. abilities like evasion+mettle and immunity to ability damage/drain, petrification, poison, transmutation, blindness, deafness, surprise, etc.)

edit: The important thing to keep in mind here is that BESM is a point-creation system, kind of like GURPS as I understand it, but it's a lot looser and easier to 'sploit. When our GM awarded us 200 something points to build characters, I spent OVER ONE HUNDRED FIFTY POINTS ON IMMUNITIES, and created a couple simple, versatile attacks with the remaining fifty points. The attacks I created were bad enough to warrant me getting "banned for life" from his games, but the immunities were "too over-the-top" for him. I calmly explained to him that he'd given us enough points to create a god, and so I did. He was not amused. (I can't help it if the other players in the group can't optimize their way out of a paper bag.)
200 points? Isn't that equivalent to a level 40 D&D character?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »
I am not allowed to build characters in BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth) with immunities based on D&D attack forms/special attacks and conditions. (e.g. abilities like evasion+mettle and immunity to ability damage/drain, petrification, poison, transmutation, blindness, deafness, surprise, etc.)

edit: The important thing to keep in mind here is that BESM is a point-creation system, kind of like GURPS as I understand it, but it's a lot looser and easier to 'sploit. When our GM awarded us 200 something points to build characters, I spent OVER ONE HUNDRED FIFTY POINTS ON IMMUNITIES, and created a couple simple, versatile attacks with the remaining fifty points. The attacks I created were bad enough to warrant me getting "banned for life" from his games, but the immunities were "too over-the-top" for him. I calmly explained to him that he'd given us enough points to create a god, and so I did. He was not amused. (I can't help it if the other players in the group can't optimize their way out of a paper bag.)
200 points? Isn't that equivalent to a level 40 D&D character?

See, that's the point I was trying to make to him. Apparently it was "fairly average" for the other players, who didn't seem to have a very good grasp on the game at all, and blew a lot of their character points on ridiculous things like teleportation, reincarnation/regeneration, incorporeality, transmutation, flight, and bizarre and unnecessary transformation sequences. I just gave my character an extraordinarily high initiative, a ranged attack pattern, super speed & super strength, heavy armor, deception/feinting, the equivalent of a 'works-on-anything' Sneak Attack  (constructs, undead, incorporeal, immortals, etc.) ability, and immunity to everything under the sun (and places the sun doesn't shine).

I could kill virtually any of the other characters in a straight fight (and was guaranteed to kill them in an unfair one). The GM got mad for my having "broken" the game. *sigh* Just goes to show you how years of my robust roleplaying experience ruined the game for others (namely the GM) who didn't understand their own system of choice. He was expecting me to spend my points on things like skills ... which are utterly useless if you have even a modicum of imagination and roleplaying skill (except the combat skills, of course, which I'd maxed out quite inexpensively).
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 01:51:05 AM »

I have to ask, if you spent 150 points on immunities, what the heck did you spend on stats? (Or is this BESM d20, which is, actually, for more exploitable than the Tri-Stat version... and for more screwy.)

If I ever see a BESM 3rd character set up like that, I'll just laugh. :)

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 02:06:07 AM »
I have to ask, if you spent 150 points on immunities, what the heck did you spend on stats? (Or is this BESM d20, which is, actually, for more exploitable than the Tri-Stat version... and for more screwy.)

If I ever see a BESM 3rd character set up like that, I'll just laugh. :)

Nah, it was BESM tri-stat 2.0ish. We bought our stats and attributes using "separate points." My stats were only like, Body 5, Mind 7, Spirit 11. I saved a lot of points there, as I recall. Most everyone else wasted points buying all their stats up to 11, 11, 12 (GM only allowed one stat to be 12 per character). I wasn't too worried, since I bought immunity to ability damage and drain.

All my immunities were "Special Defenses" that cost something like 2-4 points to max out. Four points sounds about right, 'cause I think I had somewhere in the order of 40 immunities. Some effects, like dazzle/blindness and daze/confuse I counted as single immunities, and I was sure to describe everything in detail. I might be misremembering, though, because I built a similar god-character for another game. I don't remember if the game that got me banned for buying immunities was a 200- or 250-point game. This was ... five years ago at this point.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 04:28:31 PM »
Ah. I see.

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »
Ah. I see.

Oh, you're looking at me? Crap. You need to make continual Body checks of increasing difficulty or else you'll explode in a burst of pure awesome. Did I mention what my attack power was? Or that I created it after reading the "Death By Awesome" thread on the old CO boards?

In retrospect, it might've been that, instead of the monstrous list of immunities, that got be banned from that game.

edit: ...nah.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 11:09:17 PM »
Y'know, while the GM might have made a mistake by giving out too many points without placing restrictions on building, equal responsibility lies with the player to try to work with the group to make the game fun.

In my opinion, you're to blame for your being banned. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. And if you were that desperate to make a point to your GM about too many points and no restrictions, you could have simply told him. And I'd like to note that many CO builds are meant for theoretical game-breaking fun, not actual use in play.

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 05:37:52 AM »
Y'know, while the GM might have made a mistake by giving out too many points without placing restrictions on building, equal responsibility lies with the player to try to work with the group to make the game fun.

In my opinion, you're to blame for your being banned. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. And if you were that desperate to make a point to your GM about too many points and no restrictions, you could have simply told him. And I'd like to note that many CO builds are meant for theoretical game-breaking fun, not actual use in play.

Well, he did want us to make god-characters. Presumably, he handed out so many points because he didn't expect us to be very good at it, and I somehow overstepped my bounds when my idea of a god-character didn't line up with his idea of a god-character. It's like playing one of the "power 5" in a D&D game where the DM tells you he's going to pull out all the stops, only to find out that he didn't know what he was getting into when he started, and it turns out everyone else is playing Tier 4.

I'm sorry this got into a debate. I thought my banning would be funnier if I provided some contextual information.

</thread hijack>

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
My Strongheart Halfling wizard is no longer allowed to open every conversation with his people's customary greeting, the MC Hammer dance.

That same wizard is not allowed to cast grease over and over again on random people in a carnival.

This wizard is no longer allowed to make jokes when casting black tentacles.

When fighting a BBEG who happens to be in the zoo, my druid is to refrain from attempting to train a Cracken to make sandwiches instead of participating in the fight.

EDIT: I almost forgot, I am no longer allowed to insist that bards in the party sound like Barry White.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:35:55 PM by Vynar »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »
I am not allowed to play an Anthropomorphic Bear named "Yogi".

I AM allowed to play a Winged Were-Tyranosaurus Rex Fire Giant Swordsage 1 in a game where the character creation rules were "10th level: racial HD don't count, only level adjustment and class levels."

I am not allowed to play the above character ever again, anywhere.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
No longer allowed to browse the internet while trying to think of character or campaign ideas. Ever.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
No longer allowed to browse the internet while trying to think of character or campaign ideas. Ever.

TVTropes win?

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 04:30:09 PM »

TVTropes win?

Go for the trope! To the pain!

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

TVTropes win?
More like 4chan and Psionic [De]Motivators win. >_>
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »

Where are Psionic [De]Motivators?

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »
Did I mention what my attack power was? Or that I created it after reading the "Death By Awesome" thread on the old CO boards?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »

Where are Psionic [De]Motivators?
Here and here. Though the latter is more general motivators, while the first is dedicated to psionics, specifically (but there's plenty of offtopic motivators there too). Honorable mention goes to Eberron Motivational Posters for making me want to play a Seer or Telepath, Sherlock Holmes-style.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 07:41:20 AM »
No longer allowed to think of ideas, period, after 4 days with minimal sleep.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »
Apparently I am no longer allowed to make a viable character in Champions  :banghead

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »
Did I mention what my attack power was? Or that I created it after reading the "Death By Awesome" thread on the old CO boards?

It's over nine thousand!

And on topic:
I'm not allowed to use more than 4 classes in any build, including PrC under my DM. At least last time it was like that. 4 years ago.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.