Author Topic: The Fear Handbook - Caedrus' Art of War, Volume 1.  (Read 132714 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Re: The Fear Handbook - Caedrus' Art of War, Volume 1.
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
Is this thing being updated?

Besides undead-related stuff, the only way to effect fear or mind-effecting immune opponents is with the dread witch, yes? And that ability only works on spells, right? Don't non-casters have a method?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
Don't non-casters have a method?

Pretty much no... or at least not that I've been able to find and I look. . . a lot.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Barbarossa

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2011, 05:37:37 AM »
For low-level builds, I find 'Bully Chains' fairly effective. For only 2600gp you get +4 to intimidate and your demoralization lasts an extra round, giving you time to stack the effect. Combine this with another ability that can extend the fear, you have a cheap way of getting up to a panic. Source: Dragon Magazine #339 page 36.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2011, 06:35:06 AM »

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »
Honestly I don't think any of those feats are really worth it, especially if dreadful wrath is available.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
DEVASTATING THUNDER [STYLE]
Is neat because if you have Pounce it will stack with Dreadful Wrath. And that is a damn hard save to make.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 02:23:15 AM »
Name of the Mage is an auto-win in a two man combo. Have one person take the feat (various CL shenanigans can easily the get CL requirement by 12th, I think). Have the other partner grab immunity to fear. Then the partner goes around speaking the mage's name to everyone he meets, over and over. Anyone who can hear him must make an arbitrarily large number of saves against fear, being frightened on a failure and shaken even of a success. Remember, talking is a free action. Since the talker is immune to fear, nothing bad happens to him, but everyone else within earshot is panicked with no save unless they either are immune to fear or can make the DC 30+ save on a 1 and have Mettle. The best part is that you don't even need a specific mage you know with the feat. As long as anyone has ever taken it, you can just jabber their name away all you like.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 08:21:47 AM »
Name of the Mage is an auto-win in a two man combo.
or it could be a man-and-a-familiar-that-speaks combo
or man-with-summon-elemental-reserve-feat combo

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »
It tends to be harder to fear-proof your speaking familiar, as far as I know. And summoned elementals will frighten themselves before they can reliably make your enemies too afraid. Immunity to fear is a vital part of the combo that lets you talk with impunity. It's somewhat harder to get it on your minions without class levels (although there are spells that will do it, at least.

I think there is already a mage with the Name of the Mage feat, by the name of "Ni".
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »
Something that wasn't mentioned in the OP is the Fearsome armor enhancement from Drow of the Underdark.  It's treated differently than the Fearsome from MiC in that it allows a character to make an Intimidate as a Move action, and also grants a +5 enhancement bonus to Intimidate.  The armor also gains spikes and thus a character using a reach weapon still threatens adjacent squares.  Put simply, this is easily one of the most powerful enhancements and it only costs 5k gold.

Bigtuna

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »

ShneekeyTheLost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
I have two builds for your edification, which might also help. One of which is a pure melee build, in point of fact.

The first one is Takahashi no Onisan. Basically, he uses CW Samurai's 'Mass Staredown' to be able to spam the same effect as 'Never Outnumbered' every round, and the 'Fearsome' enhancement from DotUD to do it as a move action. He also dips Exemplar to Take 10 on Intimidate checks...

The next one is a bit nastier. It's a Dread Necro12/Dread Witch5. Basically, you pick up Aura of Terror spell from SpC at 12th level with Advanced Learning, and cast it with Fell Frighten metamagic. This affects your innate Fear Aura you picked up as a class ability at level 5, and does the following:

* Increases radius from 5' to 15'.
* Increases effect from Shaken to Frightened
* Increases DC of save by 2.

But wait... there's more!

Fell Frighten normally applies the Shaken effect as well, with no save. Since, unless otherwise specified, fear effects stack (and nothing in Fell Frighten states that it does not), this increases the Frightened effect to Panicked, with the consolation gift of still applying Shaken to everyone anyways, no save!

Due to Dread Witch, not only is the Save DC increased by another 2, but it even busts immunities.

Yea, still getting better...

You've got Rebuke attempts. If you pick up any of the several ways of allowing your spells to count as either arcane or divine (Southern Magician regional feat, for example), you can then go for DMM: Persist, to make your aura that powerful 24/7.

Mind you, this is *in addition* to all the power of a T3 class focusing on negative levels and powerful undead minions... like Slaymates...

Jackinthegreen

• Email
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
After reading the text for Daunting Presence, I'd say it can actually be pretty darn effective when used with other feats, especially the incredible Imperious Command.  Daunting Presence only says, in both textbooks, it has no effect on a creature that is -already- shaken.  The opponent becomes shaken, and through IC starts cowering.  Depending on how one reads the rules, this cowering state might last for ten full minutes.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2011, 05:18:57 AM »
This is my favorite handbook!

What about Voice of the Mage for intimidation long distances?

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2011, 03:19:04 PM »
i found a feat (Intimidating Presence) that allows one to intimidate (demoralize) a number of opponents equal to your cha mod with no other limitations (like range for skill trick).
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine