Author Topic: The Fear Handbook - Caedrus' Art of War, Volume 1.  (Read 132750 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Fear Handbook - Caedrus' Art of War, Volume 1.
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 07:08:49 PM »
One thing I noticed missing from this:  the Requiem feat, which makes Bardic Music effect undead despite their normal immunity (combine with Inspire Awe and Haunting Melody and now undead are frightened).

JaronK

Shiva

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 12:43:33 AM »
You might wanna Add The black lore of moil feat, I works well with fell frighten in that any necromancy spell that doesn't deal damage now does, which makes fell frighten work on it.

blacklitelust

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »
Ok, question!

How do multiple auras stack up? can you only have one up at a time?

I have a level 13 gestalt character: 5 levels of Dread Necro, 5 levels of Dread Witch, Three levels of Nightmare Spinner, plus wizard along the other side. I took the feat Dreadful Wrath and the spell Aura of Terror to improve upon the auras, but I don't know what stacks up, if at all.

if I have multiple fear auras, do their fear affects scale up?
I don't recall the part of Kamehameha where people launched redwoods at each other.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
Wilders make excellent if overlooked fear machines. They use cha to manifest their powers, have intimidate as a class skill, Demoralize is an excellent power for fear, and they can learn hustle with expanded knowledge and combine that with fearsome armor they can effectively use intimdate as a seift action for 3 pps.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
Intimidate: It's Klingon Diplomacy

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler] It's a class feature from the Wizard of the High Sorcery class in Dragonlance - Towers of High Sorcery. There is also the awesome interpretation that allows for perfect Spontaneous casting.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:47:34 PM by bearsarebrown »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2010, 12:08:15 AM »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler] It's a class feature from the Wizard of the High Sorcery class in Dragonlance - Towers of High Sorcery. There is also the awesome interpretation that allows for perfect Spontaneous casting.

By purest RAW, it doesn't have to be a spell you know. You can cast any spell spontaneously, including spells from other lists, so long as it deals damage and takes a standard action to cast. With Snowcasting, that's all of them.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »
That's what makes it perfect spontaneous vs normal spontaneous.  ;)

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 12:10:08 AM »
Here's some stuff I missed oh so long ago... All of these cower.

PrC:

Wildrunner - Races of the Wild - 8th level ability, make a primal scream causing enemies in 30 feet to make a Will save DC 10+Wildrunner Class levels[technically, it just says "your class level" so you might be able to use everything you have]+CHA or cower if they are half your HD.

Feat:

Resounding Blow - Book of Exalted Deeds - Any time you get a crit with a melee weapon, enemies must make a Will save DC 10+1/2 your character level+CHA or cower for 1 round.

Spells:

Profane/Sacred Item - Complete Champion - Permanent until discharged, when you hit a animal or plant of any alignment or a outsider or shapechanger of good alignment, it must make a Will save vs. fear or flee in terror for 1d4 minutes or cower in terror if it can't move. (Sacred item = undead of any alignment or outsider or shapechanger of evil alignment)

Rebuking Breath - Draconomicon - Imbue your breath weapon with negative energy that rebukes undead. Undead that fail their save vs. your breath weapon are rebuked and cower in awe for 10 rounds.

Negative Energy Wave - Enemies and Allies - affect up to 15d6 HD worth of Undead. Undead in a 50 foot radius are cowered for 10 rounds.

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 12:28:55 PM »
Unfortunately, the spell eyebite is not as effective as you've said for one simple reason.  It only effects one living creature.  Unless your DM has a strange definition of living, undead won't be affected by it.

Other than that, great handbook.  I am playing a fear gnome right now and it is quite a bit of fun.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 07:54:16 AM »
Harbinger Bard Variant - Dragon #337 - Fear/Debuffing focused Bard
Mindsplinter - Weapons of Legacy - Doom/Cause Fear on every hit, more fear/sonic effects gained later on

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »
I see a distinct lack of Intimidating Strike out of PHBII. Basically lets you power attack with intimidates, but gain bonuses to scare instead of hurt and the fear lasts the whole encounter.

Rooster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
There's a Half-Nymph template in Dragon 313.

Type does not change (not even to Fey), can be applied to any humanoid.
Awesome Beauty: Any humanoid who looks at you within 30 feet must make a will save (cha based) vs shaken for 1 minute. They have to make the save again every time they look at you or the duration is refreshed. You can turn it on and off as a free action.
So... it could possibly shaken your allies, only works on humanoids, but essentially lasts FOREVER while you're busy being so pretty, oh so pretty.
Half Nymphs also count as Fey for spells, have Low Light Vision and get Dex +2, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.
LA +2.

Figured this would be of interest. :)

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
Menacing Brute (Races of Destiny) was mentioned on the previous page for its ability that triggers on killing an enemy. However, it should also be mentioned (and hasn't been in this thread) that Menacing Brute automatically increases the duration of your demoralizes. This makes fear stacking a lot easier for the Demoralize-oriented.

One of my favorite semi-goofy builds was Fighter 9/Barb 1/Menacing Brute with Dreadful Wrath added to conventional charger nastiness. Charge an enemy for massive damage, triggering Dreadful Wrath, demoralize him to frightened, AoO him in the back of the head when he runs, and then charge him again on your turn since he's probably gone at least 10' away. Imperious Command and Dungeon Crasher were added in to help with terrain where that kind of sequence wasn't viable.

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »
This is a great resource.  
I made a fear-based Bard which combined Inspire Awe, Haunting Melody, and Dreadful Wrath.

• First, I would use my Inspire Awe as it's DC would be the highest due to it being based on a Perform check, which would cause the Shaken condition and thus a -2 to subsequent saves.
  • Then, it would trigger my Haunting Melody feat to escalate the Shaken condition to Frightened.
  • Finally I would cast a swift-action bard spell that targeted my enemies(there are only a few) which would trigger Dreadful Wrath and escalate the fear to Panicked.
This is all in one round.    30 foot radius for the first two effects, and 20 foot radius for all three effects.
Use the Fear spell (if needed) to clean up any leftovers that got lucky.

Throw in the Requiem feat and you can take Undead to the Frightened stage of fear. (Although, Will is usually an undead creatures best save  :mad)
I also used Dragonsong(Draconomicon) and Ability Focus to pump up my Haunting Melody DC's by +2 each so I could multiclass a bit.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:13:21 PM by bananaphone »

Minos Engele

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »
I'm fairly new to DnD so I'm not sure if it will be effective but would a Wilder/Quori Nightmare be a effective Fear user?

The class focusses on Charisma and has Intimidate as a skill. Demoralize and Disturbing Touch can bring a creature down to panicked quickly, especially when factoring in Schism.

Energy Wall can be used to block any ways of escape.

Does the above work or do I still have a lot to learn?

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »
The Brown Coat (which is one of the things taken down by Wizards and saved here) provides a +2 unnamed bonus to intimidate.

bananaphone

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2010, 11:53:11 PM »
The Brown Coat (which is one of the things taken down by Wizards and saved here) provides a +2 unnamed bonus to intimidate.
Hahaha!  Someone is a Firefly fan!   :D

bananaphone

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2010, 05:33:36 AM »
I just realized that the Veil of Allure was left out of the item list.  It's on page 145 of the MIC.  14,000gp and takes up the face slot.

The Veil increases the DC of your enchantment spells and spell-like abilities.
It also increases the DC of your Charisma-based extraordinary and supernatural abilities by 2. (This one seems hard to find on an item)

bananaphone

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2010, 04:48:36 AM »
I'm fairly new to DnD so I'm not sure if it will be effective but would a Wilder/Quori Nightmare be a effective Fear user?

The class focusses on Charisma and has Intimidate as a skill. Demoralize and Disturbing Touch can bring a creature down to panicked quickly, especially when factoring in Schism.

Energy Wall can be used to block any ways of escape.

Does the above work or do I still have a lot to learn?
You may want to ask this in the Min/Max It! forum where it will see more exposure.  I'd like to help you, but my knowledge of the Wilder class and Quori Nightmare is extremely limited.   :shrug