Author Topic: AfterCrescent's Circus of the Damned  (Read 2414 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
AfterCrescent's Circus of the Damned
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:41:26 AM »
I found an adventure for a Savage Worlds Setting (Rippers) and decided, since my group only plays D&D, that I'd like to port the adventure over into D&D.  The key portion, obviously, is making the villains D&D-equivalent.  The adventure is centered around the "Circus of Death." As such, I'm going to stat up the 'Carny Folk' involved in the adventure in D&D format.

I might even think up some additional monsters to stat up, depending on how the group approaches the adventure...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: AfterCrescent's Circus of the Damned
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 01:41:46 AM »
Reserved for:

Bearded Lady
The Bearded Ladies are used as guards mostly, and are required to be dispatched prior to a few scenes of investigation, as they are guarding the entrances.  I chose, obviously, the Bearded Devil as a base design. Since they come in pairs, and I'm aiming for an EL 8, each one should be CR 6. So after examining some CR 6 Outsiders, I found an acceptable balancing point and took the base and went from there.

Medium Outsider (Native, Evil)
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +6 Natural, +2 Deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+10
Attack: Claw +10 (1d6+4) and Beard +8 (1d8+4 plus Devil's Chills)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +10 (1d6+4) and Beard +8 (1d8+4 plus Devil's Chills)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Beard and Bearded Frenzy
Special Qualities: Spell Resistance 18, Telepathy 100 ft., Immune to Fire and Acid, Cold and Electricity Resistance 10, See in Darkness
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +8
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +11, Disguise +11, Intimidate +11, Listen +9, Spot +9, Sense Motive +9, Sleight of Hand +12
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ability Focus (Beard), Multiattack (B)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Beard: The Bearded Lady's Beard is almost its own separate entity.  The Beard allows a Bearded Lady to add her Charisma bonus as a deflection bonus to her AC. In addition to granting the Bearded lady Multiattack as a bonus feat, it grants an additional secondary attack with the beard whenever the bearded lady takes the attack action. This additional attack is factored into the stat block above.  The attack granted by the beard also has the potential of inflicting Devil's Chills (incubation 1d4 days, damage 1d4 Str). There is a fortitude save, DC 17, to resist the disease. The save DC is Constitution based.

Bearded Frenzy:Candy Man
Candy Men are assassins who work for the circus.  They tend to get the jump on the party in a couple scenes, and usually attack alone. So each one will be CR 8.  One of the cool aspects they have is their method of melting their victims in acid, which just happens to be their cotton candy.

Medium Outsider (Native, Evil)
Hit Dice: 8d8+64 (100 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+2 Dex, +4 Armor, +7 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+14
Attack: Candy Cane +15 (1d10+5) or Cotton Candy +10 ranged touch
Full Attack: Candy Cane +15/+10 (1d10+5) or Cotton Candy +10 ranged touch
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Candy Cane, Cotton Candy, Candy Apple, The Candy Man Can
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/cold iron Spell Resistance 20, Telepathy 100 ft., Immune to Fire and Acid, Cold and Electricity Resistance 10, See in Darkness
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +7
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +13, Bluff +10, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot
Feats: Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes, Aletness, Improved Grapple (B)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Freak
The Freaks will have two stat blocks, one for initial, normal circus routines, and another for when they go into full freak mode, and explode into large form.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:52:05 AM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:05 AM »
Reserved for:

Killer Clown
Strongman
Ringmaster
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:16 AM »
Reserved for Additional Monsters...
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »
Stats for the first two are close to being done. Still have some work to do, but they'll get there soon...
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:36:22 AM »
For the freaks, I suggest looking into Lords of Madness. I once played in a game with a Half Deepspawn character and he was very freakish. I don't know the detauls really but man did his character have tentacles.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Radmelon

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Sorry to nitpick but... half Farspawn... not deepspawn... I hate being a stickler for accuracy.  :embarrassed

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:55:11 AM »
On 1/2 Far Spawn - I like the morale penalty, tentacles, and SLAs. Amorphous and Blindsight don't fit as well, I think. I dunno.

I finished the Bearded Lady and updated the Candy Man a bit.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:57 PM »
I've done this thing before. Mine were much higher level, though, and I actually used class levels.

I would throw a Factotum or Bard/Chameleon, and he would use the disguise skill to spy on the PCs. There would be the Animal Trainer, who would be a beastmaster, then there'd be the Acrobat, who would be an Exemplar (and enable his allies to tumble and such across the high wire), and there'd then be the prankster, who'd be a Divine Bard/Divine Prankster, who would throw out grease and glitterdust and then use a wand of web to trap them and then use the Killing Joke.

I like the bearded lady. I just used a strong-man, who was your standard frenzied berserker/warhulk. Use knockback with oversized Orcish shotputs for extra fun.

Also could include the clown, who would be a juggling Master Thrower (with quick draw so he could throw anything he was juggling), and Throw Anything, and maybe Master of Masks to get the warrior mask and be proficient with everything.

Also I just thought I would let you know that when I saw Candy Man, I thought of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
Also I just thought I would let you know that when I saw Candy Man, I thought of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
:D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »
:D
I thought of the Aqua song :embarrassed

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol