Author Topic: Soulspark Familiars... Do they do anything?  (Read 6085 times)

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Soulspark Familiars... Do they do anything?
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:33:59 AM »
I think whoever wrote soulspark familiars was thinking "How do I make incarnates seem more wizard-ish" and neglected to ask "How can I make this soulmeld useful".

First of all, let's compare this to a real familiar.  I'll include Psicrystals under "real familiars".

Real Familiars grand Alertness, and so do Soulsparks.  Nothing Special.

Real Familiars get Improved Evasion.  Soulsparks get Evasion, and die horribly unshape the moment a caster drops a fireball on your head.

Real Familiars can deliver touch spells, can be buffer by shared spells, and qualify for Share Soulmeld.  Soulsparks... can eat your essentia for minor bonuses to them.

Real Familiars have HP = half their master's.  Soulsparks have set HP, which sucks since meldshapers tand to have high CON.

Real Familiars provide a bonus to a skill check or save.  Soulsparks... Glow, providing you with light.  Whoopee.

Real Familiars eventually gain spell/power resistence, and the ability for you to scry on them 1/day.  Soulsparks... don't improve anything but their stats and hitdie.

Real Familiars can fight but probably die horribly unless you shared a transformative spell with them.  Soulsparks can fight, but since their only offensive option is a ranged attack with 5 foot range they provoke attacks of opportunity from anyone larger than tiny, and die horribly.

The only real use for a Soulspark familiar I can see is to give it fast healing, get Martial Spirit through feats, and then stab your loyal companion in the face blob to heal yourself or you party.  Out of combat, of course.  And you'll need an item of Familiar Pocket to keep it in so it doesn't die beforehand.

I am thinking of writing up a fix for these guys.

Anyway, anyone have suggestions of how a soulspark could actually be useful?  What have I missed?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Soulspark Familiars... Do they do anything?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:06:49 AM »
For one, make it qualify for Share Soulmeld automatically.

For two, have it share 3/4 of the meldshaper's HP, and have HD equal to the meldshaper's level (for BAB, feats, skills, etc).

For three, it can move anywhere within 1 mile of you, and can communicate telepathically when within (100 x meldshaper level) feet.

For four, its ranged attack is (10 x meldshaper level) feet, damage is small, but based on the soulspark's level, and is multiplied by the essentia you invest in it (such as, 3 points of damage per Hit Die times the number of essentia you pour into it; thus, at first level, 0 points of essentia = 0 damage (0x1x3), 2 points of essentia = 6 damage (2x1x3), etc).

For five, it should grant bonuses to the meldshaper depending on what soulmeld is bound to its singular chakra. (Any soulmeld can be bound to this unique 'universal' chakra, and the bonus is based on what chakra the soulmeld in question can be bound to, including totem.)

For six, you should be able to share/channel spells and powers through the soulspark familiar at later levels, just like you would with a psicrystal (familiars can't generally channel spells).

For seven, it should either have your skill ranks, or have a decent skill list of its very own (that you can borrow, maybe?).

For eight, the ability to go incorporeal for a limited time per day, dependent on level.

And maybe a few other things.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 02:22:03 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:45:11 AM »
On second thought, maybe the ranged attack shouldn't be quite that powerful...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:21:17 AM »
Mmn, you make it too powerful.

Each higher level of soulspark also retains the abilities of the level below it.

A least Soulspark Familiar get the usual familiar goodies.  Improved Evasion, Empathic Link, grants you alertness, you can share spells/powers you cast with it (enabling Share Soulmeld).  It uses it's own HD, but has HP equal to half of yours, if that would be a greater amount.  It must remain within 10 feet of you, has a base movement of 20 ft, and the range of it's Soul Blast is 5ft.

A Lesser Soulspark allows you to designate it as the origin point of any effect of one your soulmelds. It can communicate with you telepathically.  It can move up to 30 feet + 10 feet per point of essentia invested from you, has a base movement of 40 ft, and the range of It's soul blast is 10 ft.

A Soulspark Familiar gains Spell resistance equal to it's hitdice + 3 x the Essentia invested into it, and can deliver touch-rage spells and powers.  It can move up to 60 ft + 30 feet per point of Essentia invested from you, has a base movement of 60 ft, and the range of It's soul blast is 20 ft.

A Greater Soulspark Familiar allows you to scry (as per the spell Scrying) upon it's location once a day.  It can move up to 1 mile per point of essentia invested from you, has a base movement of 100 ft, and the range of It's soul blast is 40 ft.

Sound roughly good?

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:51:26 AM »
Well, for one, that ranged touch attack is like an auto-hit.

For another thing, the familiar's listen and spot skills are pretty good.

And lastly, since its such an easy thing to get, and there's nothing to lose if it dies, I say it shouldn't be that good.

From my usage of it, I think the power level is just fine, and very in-line with the other soulmeld's power level.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »
I think there's a way for a soulspark familiar to use acid spittle to great effect at first level.  Can't find the thread ATM...
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Pteryx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
Given that the thing can respawn the next day and doesn't impose any penalties upon death, unlike a familiar, I'd say it doesn't need too much fixing.  Just give it a slightly larger effective movement range (as is, it unshapes if it's more than ten feet from you at the end of its turn) and make its not-so-ranged attack a reach attack instead and you've got a disposable sneak attack buddy.  Heck, I had a BBEG use one that way to pretty good effect even with the movement restriction, especially when combined with some Dust of Disappearance...  :smirk  -- Pteryx

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »

Real Familiars can fight but probably die horribly unless you shared a transformative spell with them.  Soulsparks can fight, but since their only offensive option is a ranged attack with 5 foot range they provoke attacks of opportunity from anyone larger than tiny, and die horribly.

Actually, Soul Blast specifically states that it doesn't provoke AoOs.
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »

Actually, Soul Blast specifically states that it doesn't provoke AoOs.

Huh, i missed that.  Soulblast is still pretty weak sauce IMO, but i suppose it gives you what amounts to an extra attack at no penalty.

Mad Linguist, Soulsparks specifically CANNOT benefit from share soulmeld.  I've been whining about that for days.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 03:44:44 AM »
Mad Linguist, Soulsparks specifically CANNOT benefit from share soulmeld.  I've been whining about that for days.

This is to avoid a ridiculous amount of Soulsparks, share "Soulspark Familiar" with "Soulspark Familiar"-stuff.

Or better yet:

Share "Soulspark Familiar" with your Psicrystal, who shares it with their Soulspark Familiar.
Share "Soulspark Familiar" with your Animal Companion, who shares it with their Soulspark Familiar.
Share "Soulspark Familiar" with your 2 Familiars.
Share "Soulspark Familiar" with your Soulspark Familiar.

1(Normal)+1(SS Familiar)+2(Familiars)+2(Animal Companion)+2(Psicrystal)

8 Soulsparks for lulz? :p