Author Topic: Starting Decisions  (Read 7048 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Starting Decisions
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
Do you have an overview or something written up/posted online for us to see? I'm probably fine with this, but I'd like to have an idea of what we're getting ourselves into. :)

I haven't posted much on it, other than it is similar in design to Fable's Agumentation system and 4E's weapon mechanics (minus the lame). Here's a sample:

Longsword1
Price: 15gp2
Categories: Sword, One-Handed, Martial3
Abilities: Cleaving4
Stats: 1d8, 19-20, x2, Slashing or Piercing5
Weight: 4 lbs.6
Augment Slots
: 37
A simple piece of metal with a sharpened edge and tapered tip, this is a staple to many an adventurer. Perfect for use with a shield.8
A longsword has no special qualities or abilities to note.9

1: This is the name of the weapon, nothing more, and nothing less.
23: This tells you what type of weapon it is (Fisticuffs, Swords, Axes, Polearms, Lashes, Projectiles, Bludgeons, Hooks, and Improvised), how it is intended to be wielded (Light, One-Handed, or Two-Handed), and what type of proficiency is required for the weapon (Natural, Simple, Martial, and Exotic).
45: This tells you how much damage this weapon deals (value is for a Medium creature) the critical value of the weapon and the type of damage it deals. Weapons deal one or more types of damage, and some weapons are able to switch between types. Those types are Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing. If the weapon is a ranged weapon, this also tells you its range increment in feet. This is commonly referred to as damage die size.
6: This tells you how much one of these weapons weighs, if sized for a Medium creature.
7: This tells you how many augment slots this weapon has (see Weapon Augments).
8: This is a brief description of the weapon. It has no impact on the rules.
9: This tells you if the weapon has any special abilities or qualities that separate it from other weapons.

That's the basic weapon. Augments look similar, but there's more text involved.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:20:42 PM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 11:08:02 PM »
I see. Well, I'm intrigued by these Augments. I'm in if the others are. :D

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 12:19:33 AM »
I see. Well, I'm intrigued by these Augments. I'm in if the others are. :D

That's just the basic weapon, the rest of it is fairly impressive. Special materials, weapon templates, and magical enhancements were all revamped. The important parts are prices and practicality. A set of +5 augments costs around the same price as a +10 weapon, but you'll have some change to spare. It's now a tad more difficult to outright destroy a magic weapon, as Sundering simply ruins the Weapon Templates, the Special Materials (which can be salvaged), and the weapon itself. The Augmentations attached are actually ejected upon the weapon being destroyed, and unharmed by things like MDJ.

The main thing I'm looking for in the Alpha test is if the weapon's prices are balanced out. I didn't change those, so I want to retune them to match the rest of the changes. Obviously, I want to find game breakers in the augments and special abilities/materials.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 02:40:36 AM »
Well, my vestiges will give me access to several different weapon proficiencies, and once I get KoSS I'll have proficiency with all martial weapons. I suppose if I were desperate to have proficiency before that I could go with a Neraph, but that kind of ruins my character concept just a bit.

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
I am fine ;)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
Just got a PM from someone wanting to join up. Based on the encounters from the above threads, would you guys appreciate an additional player, or do you think you can handle things?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7146.msg234827;topicseen#msg234827

There we go. That's the starting package for this one. New augments are being designed, but that should be more than enough to work with for now.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010, 08:13:27 AM »
MOARMOARMOAR ^^ :P

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2010, 02:50:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind having another hand on-board. I think the standard 4-man band works well, too.

I'll look over this weapon document and update with my thoughts.
-----
One quick note, you switched Falchion and Scimitar. Was that intentional?
Otherwise, looks interesting. I'll look more into it soon.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:33:26 PM by VennDygrem »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »
I'll let him know then.

[spoiler][/spoiler]