Author Topic: Looking to finish this build.  (Read 2037 times)

fliprushman

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Looking to finish this build.
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:53:23 PM »
I was building a charger, leap attacker with Fighter and Scout levels and really can't find a Prestige class to marry the two together.  Do you have any suggestions for a PrC?  I'm also up to the suggestion of class feature substitutions and a different feat selection.  I'm do want to keep a Scout and Fighter central for the build.

What I have so far:

Level   Class   BAB   Saves   Feat/Class Feature
1   Fighter   +1   2/0/0   Martial Study(Sudden Leap), Dodge
2   Scout   +1   2/2/0   Skirmish +1d6, Trapfinding
3   Scout   +2   3/3/0   Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge, Mobility
4   Fighter   +3   4/3/0   Power Attack
5   Scout   +4   5/3/1   Fast Movement +10ft, Skirmish +1 AC, Trackless Step
6   Fighter   +5   5/4/2   Leap Attack
7   Scout   +6/1   5/5/2   Spring Attack
8   Fighter   +7/2   6/5/2   Martial Study(Claw at the Moon)
9   Scout   +7/2   6/5/2   Evasion, Skirmish +2d6, Run
10   Scout   +8/3   7/6/3   Flawless Stride
11   Scout   +9/4   7/6/3   Skirmish +2 AC
Blah!

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Re: Looking to finish this build.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:25:55 PM »
Can you even get sudden leap with an IL of .5?

I swear I asked this before, but no once clarified...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:28:43 PM »
Doesn't matter, first he needs another Tiger Claw maneuver to meet Sudden Leap's prerequisites...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:09:41 PM »
How about highland stalker from CV ? Not actually optimized, but it's an easy choice.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »
you should make your first level warblade, and get more than just the benefit of martial study. also increases first level hit dice, and skills. what race are you using? are you using multiclass penalties?
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

fliprushman

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
I have already thought about Warblade but wanted to feats a little more(Though I did place Martial Study up :D).  I am thinking human for the race but I am leaving that open at this point.  Yes, multiclass penalties will occur.
Blah!

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »
if you take warblade at levels one and eight, you lose nothing.  the martial study feats you would have taken are replaced with actual manuvers with a recovery mechanic, and you gain extra class features, more hit points, and more skills.  by doing so, you also gain a fighter feat than otherwise (because of the martial studies), and you do not have to take the dead fighter level(fighter3).  from here, you could even just advance scout, or use PrCs.

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:52:45 PM by Achiever_Type »

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:23 PM »
just looked it up, sudden leap actually DOES require a previously know TC maneuver... rather silly.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 12:43:10 AM »
Actually, I think it's worth asking at this point: What do you want to do with this build? What's the central shtick? Are you looking for a leaping face-stabber? A pouncing skirmisher? I'm kind of conflicted here.

If you're looking at a pouncing skirmisher, I'd suggest looking at the swift hunter builds - scout/ranger with either a splash of barbarian (for pounce) or cleric (for lots of uses of travel devotion) gives you the TWF feats from ranger, plus a good BAB and lots of skirmish.

TWF is a good thing to have with skirmish if you can pull it off (pounce, travel devotion, etc).

If you're already opening the door to the Tome of Battle, take a look at at least a few levels each of Warblade and Swordsage. There are some excellent maneuvers and stances you can get that way, as well as recovery mechanics. If you only take Martial Study, you can only use Sudden Leap once per encounter. If you take it through the Warblade side of things, you can use it a LOT (they've got a great mechanic). This is huge. Plus, you get all sorts of pounce and other kinds of stuff later on in the tiger claw school (but then you're giving up skirmish).

Personally, when I build a big face-stabber, I did it with (more or less, this is from memory) a rogue 3 / swordsage 2 / warblade 15. Rogue 3 gives you 2d6 sneak attack, swordsage 2 (if you take it at the right time) gives you Assassin's Stance (another 2d6 SA) and Island of Blades (I think - the stance that lets you flank from any direction) when you can't get an actual flank. Shadow Blade gets you dex to damage, and the warblade levels get you tons of BAB, and good skills and stuff. It's all very, very good for damage and fun maneuvers.

fliprushman

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »
I'm basically looking for the Dragoon type of build but with less classes.  I was trying to find a way to keep it down to two classes and a PrC just in case a DM wanted to pull some sort of cheesey flavor thing on my.  I picked Scout and Fighter as the bases to the builds because they are more likely to be accepted than a ToB class.  Yes I know I have feats from the book in my build but that was because I was experimenting with ways of doing without fully dipping into the book.  So I'm thinking of just doing a Scout and Warblade combo atm if the DM allows ToB but still need a backup plan.
Blah!