Author Topic: Factotum/chameleon help.  (Read 5209 times)

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Factotum/chameleon help.
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:33:22 AM »
Greetings ladies and gentleman.  I was hoping to find out what sort of marvelous ideas people can produce with regards to doing a factotum/chameleon build that focuses on archery.

The basics:  I'll come in the campaign at level 12, or more.
Stat rolls: 18 17 15 14 13 11
My distribution: Str 11 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 18 Wis 17 Chr 13
Build basics
Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/ ?? 2
Flaws are allowed, I'll be picking up 2.
Feats: 1Able Learner 1(h)point blank shot 1(f) font of inspiration 1(f) precise shot 3 font of inspiration 6 rapid shot 9 many shot910:Greater many shot 12 Font of Inspiration
He'll pick up the Arcane focus first and Divine Focus second.  First stat bonus to int, second to wis, third to dex.  . con?

Notable skills:  Autohypnosis, UMD, Search/Disable device.   *things like iajitsu are not going to fly, but I'll gladly take suggestions on skills.
Items:
+6 int headband
+1 splitting longbow
Lesser meta magic rod: extend

One of the things that's striking me about this character is that his raw + to hit with his bow is rather low.    I'd love ideas on improving his accuracy.  His damage could use some upgrading to, if thoughts on spells or other tricks come to mind.

Thank you in advance,

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Factotum/chameleon help.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:03:47 AM »

I'd go Factotum 11/Chameleon 9 for one thing, Cunning Breach is pretty good if your using the spellcasting choice of Chameleon. I'd UMD something with Divine Power (Might? something) that gives you full BAB for better to hit until you can cast it. Using the Create line of spells allows for many doses of Poison that used simultaneously will kill opponents.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:42:41 AM »
Ok, changed up to go divine spells first.  Combining Cunning Surge with Find the Gap and Divine Sacrafice means puking up 6 touch attack arrows that hit for an additional 5d6 damage each.  Downside?  Spend the whole first round buffing.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 05:57:53 AM »
Ok, changed up to go divine spells first.  Combining Cunning Surge with Find the Gap and Divine Sacrafice means puking up 6 touch attack arrows that hit for an additional 5d6 damage each.  Downside?  Spend the whole first round buffing.

Find the Gap works 1/round last I checked.  And wasn't it a swift action to cast?

bogsnes

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:11:16 AM »
Boost your int as much as possible.

If it helps, here is a thrower character I made for a PbP...

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »
Find the gap works on the first attack, G manyshot is 1 attack.  Splitting + 3 arrows = 6 arrows with 5d6 extra damage, since G manyshot applies extra damage to all arrows.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
Find the gap works on the first attack, G manyshot is 1 attack.  Splitting + 3 arrows = 6 arrows with 5d6 extra damage, since G manyshot applies extra damage to all arrows.
Clever.  I'll have to remember that

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
I think I'd enjoy some help pointing out spells that are gems as well.  Obvious Control spells like solid fog/freezing fog are no brainers, but beyond some simple CO staples like celerity, I'm having trouble.  Since his casting progression is gimp, save allowed spells are out.   But he possiblity of using 4 spells a turn is making me drool.  Swift action spell, standard action spell, Cunning Surge+standard action spell, Celerity+ Standard action spell.  That's a whole hell of a lot of justice meated out on round one. 

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »
I prefer to get the surprise round and then combo Nervskitter, Shock and Awe, and the debuff or attack spell of your choice using cunning surge.  The opponents may never get a chance to act until everyone in the party has hit them TWICE.

"We've achieved total surprise, commander!"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
That's a whole hell of a lot of justice meated out on round one. 

It's 'meted'. 'Meat' used as a verb is...something else altogether...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 03:52:11 PM »
I know it is, but . . .  ah hell.  Play on words on the internet, I'm in the wrong here.

Achiever_Type

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
Shock and Awe falls into the no dice category, or rather, that it requires too many.  SR+Save on a 1rst level spell?  Everything will resist.  That kind of debauchery is wonderful though, if there are other, (perhaps buff oriented) ways to pull it off.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
Shock and Awe falls into the no dice category, or rather, that it requires too many.  SR+Save on a 1rst level spell?  Everything will resist.  That kind of debauchery is wonderful though, if there are other, (perhaps buff oriented) ways to pull it off.

It allows a save?  Huh, I must have misread it.  My bad.

killercoffee

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 08:20:06 PM »
Note that a factotum can turn/rebuke undead, so you could get some DMM stuff going, I think.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:19:48 AM »
Note that a factotum can turn/rebuke undead, so you could get some DMM stuff going, I think.

You don't get enough uses of that psuedo-turning ability to make DMM worthwhile.  Assuming your DM allows it to count as turning for the purposes of DMM in the first place.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »
I'd personally go Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/some other thing 2. You get better spells (barely), better ability boon/stuff (good), and you lose cunning breach, which is useful in some situations, but this way allows you to get your max casting 3 levels earlier (important), to actually GET spellcasting before level 10(super important), and I just really like Chameleon.

Be sure to use your bonus feat to craft yourself magic items of Heroics (or just cast the damn spell), because more feats = more better.

For your final 2 levels, try taking maybe a martial class, like Fighter. Or take 1 level of fighter and one level of monk for Carmedine Monk and Int to AC twice. That + Ability Boon = 6 more AC daily.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »
I'd personally go Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/some other thing 2. You get better spells (barely), better ability boon/stuff (good), and you lose cunning breach, which is useful in some situations, but this way allows you to get your max casting 3 levels earlier (important), to actually GET spellcasting before level 10(super important), and I just really like Chameleon.

Be sure to use your bonus feat to craft yourself magic items of Heroics (or just cast the damn spell), because more feats = more better.

For your final 2 levels, try taking maybe a martial class, like Fighter. Or take 1 level of fighter and one level of monk for Carmedine Monk and Int to AC twice. That + Ability Boon = 6 more AC daily.

Nah, if you're gonna dip, dip Cloistered Cleric for Knowledge and Travel devotion, or Conjurer (martial variant) for Abrupt Jaunt and Improved Initiative.

Tsabrak

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »
I've posted mine here before, but I am very much enjoying my Swashbuckler 3 / Factotum 8 / Chameleon 9.  Rolling with Able Learner, Knowledge Devotion, Nymph's Kiss, Keen Intellect, and of course a few Font's of Inspiration.

I'm going:  3 Swashbuckler, 3 Factotum, 9 Chameleon, then the rest of the Factotum.

I also highly recomment the "thunderlance" spell.  INT to hit and damage 3 times is pretty nice.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 11:39:51 PM »
What does keen intellect do, and where can i find it?

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »

Nah, if you're gonna dip, dip Cloistered Cleric for Knowledge and Travel devotion, or Conjurer (martial variant) for Abrupt Jaunt and Improved Initiative.

That's quite true, sir. Quite true. Use this guy's suggestion. If only you could fit all 3 dips in.