Author Topic: Mad Max Style warrior  (Read 6649 times)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Mad Max Style warrior
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 08:42:44 PM »
Versatile Combatant
Prerequisite: Dex15, proficiency with rapier and hand crossbow
Benefit: When you are armed with a rapier in your primary hand and a hand crossbow in your off-hand you are treated as having the twf feat for the purpose of calculating attack penalties.
In addition you do not provoke AOO's from adjacent opponents when you make ranged attacsk with a hand crossbow.

The annoying part about the feat is, you need 2 hands to reload a hand crossbow.

yes that is annoying. I would use the hand crossbow if not for this. with the repeater I was hoping I could reason that I could pull the lever with a hook built into my armor or on my hip. A self loading hand bow would work. I can't seem to find that magic property tho. i can't remember what book it was in

Hand Crossbow Focus, Drow of the Underdark. works as Weapon focus for Hand Crossbow and can reload as a free action.

At the very least it's superior to Rapid Reload.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Dystopia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 08:48:59 PM »
oh and on a spin off question is it possible to obtain an animal companion without getting a level in druid

EntropicShadow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Doth thou desire power?
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »
The easiest is to take the Wild Cohort feat from here
'Cause I'm a bit part demon, a small-time misfit
I say you'll be "Dead by Dawn" but I don't really mean it.
I'm a threat to no one. The other deadites make fun...
You suck!
Of me, Evil Eddy,the bit part demon

Dystopia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »
aww thank you

Dystopia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
somewhere in there I will fit in that feat and make my horse my animal companion. it perfectly fits my backstory. I might see if i can trade the scouts battle fortitude feature for that feat.

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 06:10:13 AM »
Fighter/scout. I can think of better combos to use in Gestalt.

If you're going to do a lot of mounted combat then I don't think its that useful to focus on TWF. You won't be making full attacks often.
But you could put in a level of barbarian. For Lion totem Barbarian which gets you pounce.
Now a skirmishing pouncing spirited charge. Thats something nice.
I would take away the repeating crossbow still. You need to fire it with two hands in order to use the reloading crank.
Its a bit of a buzzkill I know.

I'd do it like this:

1 Lion Totem Barbarian/scout EWP (double Hand crossbow), Hand Crossbow Focus, Point Blank Shot
2 fighter/scout Mounted Combat
3 fighter/scout Mounted archery, Versatile Combatant
4 fighter/scout Precise shot
5 fighter/scout Ride-by attack
6 fighter/scout Spirited charge
8 fighter/scout

You may want to beg your DM if you can have the 3.0 glove of storing which was about 3000 gp IIRC. You can store and retrieve your scimitar as a free action. That gives you the two hands you need to relaoad your hand crossbow. And hand crossbow focus will let you reload it as another free action.

TWF isn't really going to give you anything since its likely you will be either slashing people or shooting people in a single given round. Unless your plan was to on occasion wield 2 crossbows and go Johnwoo. That can work pretty well too. With the glove of storing trick. A friend of mine has managed to build quite an effective character like that in one of my campaigns. But unless you're gonna do that I'd say go for versatile combatant. That way your crossbow shooting won't provoke from the guys you're meleeing with.

Oh and you'd wind up using a regular scimitar instead of a greascimitar. But I really doubt the feat is worth the gain. Oh and stay away from ranged disarm. Its bloody bad. You wind up disarming at a -4 and there's no way of getting the improved disarm bonus through the feat.
And I'm afraid you can't select Shot on the run at lvl 8. The entry in the scout class says that you still need to meet the prerequisites of the feat. So that one's still open.

Edit: I overlooked the posts about the animal companion. You can shift point black shot to lvl 4 and precise to lvl 8 freeing your first level feat for wild cohort.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:02:21 AM by Radijs »
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Dystopia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
I might switch my specialty to hand crossbows instead. hopefully my Dm won't be a hard ass about not being able to find some of these feats, cause I don't think he has DotU. also I'm not so keen on the barbarian. Wez (moto guy with mohawk) from Road warrior would be the barbarian. Also where is the Totem barbarian. i can't find him. is he in CW?

the purely hand crossbow would work but something just doesn't feel right.
the reason I got TWF is so I could do ranged and melee. as soon as I get a chance to sitdown at my computer and do nothing but look at class features and feats for about 4 hours I might be able to fix any problems or find good alternatives. the idea you just gave sounds like it would work.
oh and just a quick question, have you ever actually seen Mad Max?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »
Lion Totem Barbarian is from Complete Champion. Lose Barbarian Fast Movement for Pounce.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Dystopia

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
well crap. another book I don't have
short list of the books i do have. I'm not gonna go through all of them so yeah

PHB 1+2
DMG 1+2
MM 1-5
Complete arcane
Complete adventurer
Complete Psionics
Complete warrior
Complete divine
XPHB
ToB
ToM
Sandstorm
Frostburn
Stormwrack
BoVD (but that won't be needed)
BoED (neither will this)
If there was a book of Deeds that fit into the gray area or don't realy affect anything in a good or bad way (BoDTFItGAoDRAAiaGOBW) {the book of neutral people) that would be handy
Races of-
stone
dragons
wild
destiny
ebberon (ebberon is the campaign setting of the Game Idf i forgot to mention that
draconimonicon (though this will also be of no Use since he has nothing to do with dragons)
Unearthed Arcana
Eberron CS
Magic of Eberron
Players guide to Ebberon
five nations
Explorers Handbook
Arms and equipment guide

everything else will probably be of no use
If it's not on this list than I either didn't list it or Don't have it so. If you want you can ask