Author Topic: [Old] Character setup  (Read 63953 times)

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Character setup
« Reply #400 on: April 13, 2009, 07:41:40 AM »
If there are any spots open I'm definitely interested in joining this craziness. Although, even if I can still join, it might be better to start out after the game begins. I know the people who finished their characters weeks ago are probably anxious to start. I have three different character concepts, but I have concern that some/all may be problematic or redundant. So I'll present all three before getting too invested in any.

1. Knight of Chaos: this character would wild shape (or partially wild shape) into various aberrations and fight using form-based abilities and his own combat tentacles.
Proposed build - lesser Aasimar Warrior (Divine Minion of appropriate chaos god/ess) 1/Druid or Urban Druid 1 (Dr317)/fixedAnarch (CN Paladin variant) 2 (Dr310)/Warshaper 2 (CWar)//Wild Monk 1 (Dr324)/Hexblade 3 (Cwar)/Crusader 1 (ToB)/Unarmed Swordsage 1 (ToB). feats to include Aberration Wild Shape, Improved Assume Supernatural Special Ability: eye rays
Tropes: Body Horror, Morphic Resonance - able to shift just half his body?, combat tentacles, and Cosmic Plaything
Issues: Plenty, while this is my favorite of the three ideas its the most likely to be problematic for several reasons. Mechanically, a strict interpretation of RAW would not allow the Divine Minion's Fast Wild Shape to interact with Aberration Wild Shape. Despite having a level of Druid to access small and medium forms, that interaction is key to the build. Also, even in this milieu, access to the Gauth's (MM1) eye rays may be over the top. RP-wise he would make an unreliable companion. As part of a group devoted to destroying an evil corporation or other lawful organization, he should be OK though. As a player, I don't want to keep anyone else from having fun, but playing a character that isn't just CN but is a champion of chaos has the potential to disrupt things. Lastly, I don't want to stomp on Heliomance's territory by playing another shapeshifter. But I think the two characters would have very different feels.

2. Newtype Mecha Pilot: I don't have a build for this one, but I'd love to expy Duo Maxwell but with a Psycho Gundam psi-amplification aspect to his mech that would otherwise be pretty much like the Gundam Deathscythe.

I'm not sure if something like that is possible with the Mecha Pilot Champion variant. It seems like since the mech can't access any of the class features or feats of the pilot, and the construct class is strickly worse than the warrior, a gestalt character stepping into his mech is like applying a +8 LA template whose only benefits are +4 to a stat d12 HD and some but not all construct traits. I like the flavor of the class, but if I'm interpreting it correctly, it is IMO unplayable.

3. Escaped Psi-Beast: This character would be an escaped genetic experiment that just wants to return to nature, but is hunted by the evil corporation that created it.
Proposed build - Feral 1/3 Ogre 1/3 Minotaur Anthropomorphic Monkey (SS) Warrior (Feral SSpec, Half Ogre and Half Minotaur Dr313) 3/Wild Monk 1/Lion Totem Barbarian (CChamp) 1/Crusader (ToB) 1//Psychic Warrior 2/Ardent (CPsi) 4. feats to include Overchannel, Practiced Manifester, Power Attack, Leap Attack
Tropes - Hybrid Monster, Battle Aura, Too Dumb to Fool, and Beast Man
Issues - Barely or non-sentient. As an amalgam creature it may be too similar to Prak's character (probably not though). I could see the character winding up as not being fun to play.

Comments?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:58 AM »
2. Newtype Mecha Pilot: I don't have a build for this one, but I'd love to expy Duo Maxwell but with a Psycho Gundam psi-amplification aspect to his mech that would otherwise be pretty much like the Gundam Deathscythe.

I'm not sure if something like that is possible with the Mecha Pilot Champion variant. It seems like since the mech can't access any of the class features or feats of the pilot, and the construct class is strickly worse than the warrior, a gestalt character stepping into his mech is like applying a +8 LA template whose only benefits are +4 to a stat d12 HD and some but not all construct traits. I like the flavor of the class, but if I'm interpreting it correctly, it is IMO unplayable.
You forget, the mech's ability score increases are doubled, and the pilot can buff it (psionic repair damage is one of the main reasons for the LA). Also, you get access to cool feats.

I've been meaning to modify it so that the mech receives some of the pilot's feats, though. (EDIT: Done)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:40:41 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »
So Prime, any rules related insights to the Arcane Hierophant thing? It's a consequence of the house rule that theres basically no way to qualify for the PrC(as it requires a level 3 druid ability, level 2 divine spells, and level 2 arcane spells, on top of skills), so theres pretty much no prior art on the subject.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2009, 06:25:42 PM »
Issues - Barely or non-sentient. As an amalgam creature it may be too similar to Prak's character (probably not though). I could see the character winding up as not being fun to play.

Comments?
shouldn't be a problem. He'd likely be barely sentient, as there's an automatic minimum of 3 for player characters, but it depends on what you put into intelligence.
as for similarity to my character... eh, I'm a little iffy on the classes, but it's not a huge deal. As far as flavour, my character's actually a member of a race of bugmen, where as yours is the result of "human" tampering. So I've got no issue there. Might be interesting for these characters to be in the same group.

other issues, the beast man character needs his tropes repicked. The only "positive" trope that would allow you to do special stuff is "Too Dumb to Fool", the others are just meaningless descriptions. I had kinda a hard time with this too, here's my post from earlier:

Actually, could everyone suggest bonuses that their tropes could give?

-Devil in Plain Sight
--Not sure, I think I was looking more at continual bonuses or states than triggering things, but maybe except for a given person (my nemesis?), I can spend an action point and for that scene sense motive just doesn't work?

-Heroic Sociopath (and by extension, Karma Houdini, though DiPS should cover that) (it's worth noting that my character likely wouldn't wear shoes... and might well be able to create massive piles of bodies from the top of which he'll proclaim "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD O' WAR!!")
--Looks like this is more of a personality thing to be roleplayed. I'll pick something else.

-No Fourth Wall
--again, more of a roleplaying thing, If I want to do the deadpool schtick, I just will.

/Medium Awareness?
--another roleplayed deadpool schtick

Absurdly Sharp (mind) Blade?
--spend an action point to ignore hardness or damage reduction with Mind Blade?

-Weakness: Funetik Aksent
--just the way I'd type, so have to pick another weakness trope.

so lets see...
Tropes which just apply to him, but don't give bonuses or such:
Multi-armed and Dangerous
Funetik Aksent
Heroic Sociopath
Devil In Plain Sight?
Blade Below the Shoulder
Morph Weapons
--Though I might choose this as one of my special tropes. It describes a basic soul knife ability but it'd be nice if I could use an action point to change the blades form into other weapons.
Ki Attacks... just... it's the entire fucking point of this guy!
Evolving Weapon

Action point tropes:
Absurdly Sharp (mind) Blade
-spend an action point to ignore hardness/dr/natural armour?
Catch and Return
-I don't actually qualify for Snatch Arrows, but I have Deflect Arrows as a racial bonus feat, so maybe I could spend an action point to catch a projectile and throw it back?

it occurs to me that I don't think I ever quite finished picking tropes. But anyway, definitely make sure there's a logical follow through from trope to action point benefit. Likewise, the negative trope should have a logical follow through to a mechanical penalty.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:40:42 PM by Prak, the Mad »

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:06 AM »

You forget, the mech's ability score increases are doubled, and the pilot can buff it (psionic repair damage is one of the main reasons for the LA). Also, you get access to cool feats.

I've been meaning to modify it so that the mech receives some of the pilot's feats, though. (EDIT: Done)
Ah, for some reason I was thinking the 8 stat points was from the doubling of pilot stat increases, not in addition to it. The feats carrying over also helps and is definitely +flavor as well. Is that one pilot carry over feat every 3 class levels, or does it work differently?

Also, the domain and spellcasting of the base Champion class don't really fit. Would it be possible to alternative class features, subject to approval? Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of an active dodge and/or more flight speed at good rather than perfect maneuverability.

other issues, the beast man character needs his tropes repicked. The only "positive" trope that would allow you to do special stuff is "Too Dumb to Fool", the others are just meaningless descriptions. I had kinda a hard time with this too, here's my post from earlier:
You're right. With the exception of battle aura, the tropes describe him but don't add anything. I'll take another look.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »
After careful deliberation (read: doing some math because I was bored), I decided to change Lily's race from Star Elf to Lesser Aasimar. Compared to Star Elf, this gets me a net of +2 Con for virtually no loss. I'll probably also take the Stalwart Sorcerer for the extra 2 hp/level. She's supposed to be a Lightning Bruiser, not a Glass Cannon, after all. :D
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2009, 07:21:03 AM »
How's this for a suggestion:
Too Dumb to Fool
Normal: DM always gives you a secret save against illusions the first time they appear in an encounter. 

Spend an action point to subtract the value of your intelligence modifier from a will save or bluff check.  You may do this even after the result of the die roll has been announced.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #407 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
Prime/Woodenbandman I still need an answer to these questions re: the mecha pilot class:
Is that one pilot carry over feat every 3 class levels, or does it work differently?

Also, the domain and spellcasting of the base Champion class don't really fit. Would it be possible to pick alternative class features, subject to approval? Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of an active dodge and/or more flight speed at good rather than perfect maneuverability.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2009, 05:44:39 AM »
Is it possible to get blood component (from the tainted sorcerer PrC at http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm) as a weapon of legacy ability?  If so, what menu is it worth?  I'm going to try to avoid cheezing out on taint, so basing my spellcasting on my taint score ain't gonna happen.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #409 on: April 23, 2009, 11:20:09 AM »
Speaking of which, I'm thinking of taking up Yandere as a trope suggestion, now that it's Sorc based...well, once I clear up how the heck I get to build with.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #410 on: April 23, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »
Speaking of which, I'm thinking of taking up Yandere as a trope suggestion, now that it's Sorc based...well, once I clear up how the heck I get to build with.
Yandere or Yangire? :D
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #411 on: April 23, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »
How about the sort that snaps to suicidally murderous frenzy when an ally is downed, for a weakness trope? :D

Recovers later, and is usually terribly apologetic for unwholesomely violent behavior.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #412 on: April 23, 2009, 03:31:57 PM »
Seems more like plain old Unstoppable Rage to me. Yandere is, specifically, about going batshit over matters of love and Murdering (or trying to) The Hypothenuse, the target of their affections, or both. Might still qualify for the Yangire variety if she's creepy and psycho enough about it, though.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #413 on: April 23, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
Might still qualify for the Yangire variety if she's creepy and psycho enough about it, though.
Gonna try that aspect out then. :D

Once I get some response on the ruling.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #414 on: April 23, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
Might still qualify for the Yangire variety if she's creepy and psycho enough about it, though.

You should totally try coupling it with Creepy Monotone, Dissonant Serenity (with a smile), and/or Say It With Hearts ?.
Especially Say It With Hearts. :D

EDIT: Damn, the heart symbol won't work on the boards. :(

HeadofVecna

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #415 on: April 23, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
Are these tropes OK for my mecha pilot?

Flash Step
- While piloting his mech, the character has the Flyby Attack feat
- Spend and action point to gain +X AC while fighting defensively

Mo-Cap Mecha
- While piloting his mech, the character has the Expeditious Dodge feat
- Spend an action point to use any feat that the character qualifies for.

One Man Army
- +X damage against mooks
- Spend an action point to regain daily uses of Xeph burst. This ability cannot be used in any encounter in which the character has already attacked a named character. This ability is also unavailable if the character has used Xeph burst for additional attacks against a named character at any time earlier in the day.

Plot Armor (Note: Lowered Monster Difficulty is probably the more accurate trope for this, but plot armor sounds much cooler)
- If the character rolls a result that would hit and kill the dragon or Big Bad in the first, second, or third round of combat the character instead misses.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #416 on: April 23, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
Are these tropes OK for my mecha pilot?

Flash Step
- While piloting his mech, the character has the Flyby Attack feat
- Spend and action point to gain +X AC while fighting defensively

Mo-Cap Mecha
- While piloting his mech, the character has the Expeditious Dodge feat
- Spend an action point to use any feat that the character qualifies for.

One Man Army
- +X damage against mooks
- Spend an action point to regain daily uses of Xeph burst. This ability cannot be used in any encounter in which the character has already attacked a named character. This ability is also unavailable if the character has used Xeph burst for additional attacks against a named character at any time earlier in the day.

Plot Armor (Note: Lowered Monster Difficulty is probably the more accurate trope for this, but plot armor sounds much cooler)
- If the character rolls a result that would hit and kill the dragon or Big Bad in the first, second, or third round of combat the character instead misses.

Talk to Wood about the tropes. Just bear in mind that your pilot's first mech will be statted for you (though it can be replaced).
Veekie, your request is fine.

Yeah, I have end-of-year exams in about a week, assignments to finish... I should be giving you guys less time. :P
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #417 on: April 23, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »
So yay to dropping wild shape for Spirit Shaman casting? :D

You should totally try coupling it with Creepy Monotone, Dissonant Serenity (with a smile), and/or Say It With Hearts ?.

I can't convey a monotone effectively via text, but will not be a problem. As is a cheerful grin mid massacre.

Hmm, a B/W version looks better, a little photoshop should fix that.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #418 on: April 23, 2009, 10:46:49 PM »
So yay to dropping wild shape for Spirit Shaman casting? :D

I can't convey a monotone effectively via text, but will not be a problem. As is a cheerful grin mid massacre.

Hmm, a B/W version looks better, a little photoshop should fix that.

Code: [Select]
This does not sound like a voice spoken in a monotone to you?
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #419 on: April 24, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
PERHAPS LIKE THIS?

oR juSt tALk likE THis?

Code tags make it look a bit funny.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]