Author Topic: [Old] Character setup  (Read 63806 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Character setup
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2009, 08:31:33 AM »
Also, rules for kids, if you can find any, Anime kids mind, which probably just means a size down, and some Str penalties and Cha boost.
Just play a halfling. They even have better luck than normal.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:33:04 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #181 on: March 04, 2009, 10:32:01 AM »
Good point :P.
Now, maybe I should go glue half celestial on it...
EDIT:On the other hand....Half-Celestial Midget Catfolk?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:00:17 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #182 on: March 04, 2009, 11:04:09 PM »
Proposed Trope Benefits:
Super Speed:
  • Gain Run as a bonus feat
  • (AP) Gain +10 bonus to speed for 1 round

Defeat Means Friendship:
  • +4 social skills against opponents defeated in battle
  • (AP) +2 bonus per per-encounter AP remaining at the end of the encounter

Air Jousting:
  • +2 attack, +4 damage on charge attacks while airborne
  • (AP) Spend an immediate action to charge an opponent who moves at least 30 feet in the air

Last Stand (Weakness)
  • -3 penalty to all rolls when attempting to hold a position (alone or in a group), -5 if outnumbered
  • -4 penalty to saves/skill checks to resist a last-minute deal when facing certain doom. Stacks with previous.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #183 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:14 PM »
I think Last Stand should be a scaling Will Save to back away from a fight/be the last man holding ground. You aren't actually weaker, just more likely to face suicidal odds.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #184 on: March 04, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »
Rufei, have you considered greatreach bracers (MIC)?  3/day, increase your reach by 10' for a round.  It'll cut into your initial 13k a little, but it might be worth it given your tiny size.

Given the rules for saves being used, I'm swapping my monk1 dip for paladin 1 (golden lion substitution). 

That makes my progression:

Dread necromancer 4/Rainbow Servant 1/  Master of the Unseen hand 1//
 (Ghost savage progression) Expert 1/Battle Dancer 1/Expert 2/ (golden Lion sub)Paladin 1/ Expert 1

By your save rules, that should make it
EDIT: Fixed.  Thanks rufei.
BAB: 3 good, 3 average - (3)+(2*3/4)= +5.25
Fort: 1 good, 5 poor - (2+1/2)+(5/3)= +4 1/6
Ref: 1 good, 5 poor - (2+1/2)+(5/3)= +4 1/6
Will: 6 good - (2 + 6/2)= +5

I believe my class skill points also change
6*4 at first level (expert)
4 at second (battle dancer)
6 at third (expert)
6 at fourth (expert)
2 at fifth (paladin skills are sad )
6 at sixth (expert)
My int is a constant +4 to skills
6*7 +4 +2 +4*(6+3) = 84 points.  I'll have to prune two points out of somewhere.  EDIT: Pruning accomplished

Next level will be Rainbow Servant// Paladin, followed by MotUH//Dread Necromancer.
After that... Dunno.  I'm trying to get as much Rainbow Servant in over Dread Necromancer levels, but I'd like to advance MotUH as well... decisions decisions.

Does commoner half advancement spellcasting round up or down?

My new AC is... 10 + 9(deflection) + 9(battle dancer) + 5(dex) + 3 (half my level) -1 (aggressive) = 35
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:30:38 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2009, 12:06:27 AM »
I think Last Stand should be a scaling Will Save to back away from a fight/be the last man holding ground. You aren't actually weaker, just more likely to face suicidal odds.
I think you and Prime thought of Last Stand as a weakness the same way.
It's not that I'm known for Last Stands (and thus have a hard time resisting them), but that I'm actually weak to Last Stands.
Although that sounds better than what I came up with.

Last Stand
  • When a position must be held, make a DC ?? Will save or become Frightened. The DC increases by X every Y rounds
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2009, 12:52:32 AM »
That sounds good for the reverse as well.
I assumed like most Last Stand'ers, you can't avoid Last Stands, which is pretty detrimental in it's own right, without added penalties.

Now, having it as a Strength trope would probably do the reverse of what you originally had though.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
Cool. Unfortunately, I'm not intimately familiar with the precise math of 3.5's save mechanics (i.e. DCs per level), so I have no idea where the DC should be or how quickly it should scale.
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #188 on: March 05, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »
This is more a long term question.

Is it possible to choose the LA+1 evolved undead template (Libris Mortis) and a NPC class instead of a class level at a later date?  I don't think I'll actually pick it up, but it would be nice to have the option if I can't find a class I like.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:07:50 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2009, 01:06:37 AM »
Cool. Unfortunately, I'm not intimately familiar with the precise math of 3.5's save mechanics (i.e. DCs per level), so I have no idea where the DC should be or how quickly it should scale.

If you're rolling every round, I'd say 12+CR of the Last Stand - 1 per ally of your level(allies of lower level count for half, halved again for each level they are lower than you, higher level allies count double), incrementing DC by +1 per roll. First failure Shakens, second Frightens, third Panics. Basically you get a round or two of action before you crumble. Define Last Stand as anything with a CR of say...your level, + 1 per ally(same mods as above).

Alternatively, if you prefer a once off thing, just amp the DC to 16+CR of the Last Stand - 1 per ally of your level and go straight to Frightened. No more rolls necessary for this particular Stand if you succeeded the first time.

Hows that?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2009, 01:17:50 AM »
Can I combine the "substitute detect magic for detect evil" from the golden lion substitution with your paladin fix (or otherwise trade having one of my detect evil class features?)

And how does the invocation learning work for the paladin fix, anyway?  Do I just select one least invocation and that's that?

At level 7, I'll be undead *and* have two levels of paladin.  That's a moderate good *and* moderate evil auras.  Do they cancel, or both show up, or give the viewer a headache, or what?

Hmm... if I get wings from unseelie fey, and level to fourth in rainbow servant, and use telekinesis to lift weapons...
I can have three sets of wings, dragonlike, prismatic, and MADE OF SWORDS.

No bonus to airspeed, but it would look impressive.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:51:57 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2009, 01:27:44 AM »
I like the second one better; less math to figure out (scary, scary arithmetic  :p)

• When facing an encounter with an EL equal to or greater than my character level, +1 per ally involved in the combat, make a will save (DC 16+EL of the encounter, -1 per ally involved in the combat) or become frightened of the battle for 1d3+1 rounds. After attempting the save once I no longer need to save against that encounter.

The duration is to avoid dropping out of the combat entirely (which seemed too big a weakness); 2-4 rounds is likely to be a good portion of a significantly difficult encounter. Just in time for a dramatic re-entry. Although by running and manifesting Hustle, I could frighten myself...1200 feet away in 4 rounds. (250 ft run + 50 ft move every round)
Using EL over CR means I can be frightened by large numbers as well as singular BBEGs.
Siggy

xkcd. It Rocks.

[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2009, 02:26:52 AM »
Rufei, have you considered greatreach bracers (MIC)?  3/day, increase your reach by 10' for a round.  It'll cut into your initial 13k a little, but it might be worth it given your tiny size.

So we start with 13k?  Man, I'm gonna have to decide between stuff + Ring of incarnum and a monk's belt... bye bye belt.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2009, 02:28:44 AM »

So we start with 13k?  Man, I'm gonna have to decide between stuff + Ring of incarnum and a monk's belt... bye bye belt.
He said
Assume standard gold for now.
, so I assume that means 13k.
Planetouched Handbook

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2009, 03:26:51 AM »

He said
Assume standard gold for now.
, so I assume that means 13k.

And I misremembered the cost of the incarnum ring too. it's 16,000.  well crud.

Do I pay for my cohort out of my cash, or does he get a separate allowance?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2009, 04:01:18 AM »
So, skimming through Heroes of Horror, I noticed this:

Page 62)  Creatures with the Evil subtype and undead creatures are immune to any negative effects from taint. They automatically have effective corruption and depravity scores equal to one-half their Charisma score, +1 for undead . They take no penalties due to these taint scores, but they can use them to qualify for feats or prestige classes (see Chapter 5).

That puts me into moderate depravity, which could grant me a bonus feat (page 67)

Since Dark Is Not Evil, can I just ignore the silly "all undead are tainted " rules, and have a taint score of zero (but remain immune anyway)?
I could just reflavor it as "mutagenic effects caused by strange extradimensional energies upon inferior, positive-based life forms", but that seem kinda cheesy.

I'm also eventually going to get a familiar from DN 7.  The default list is imp, quasit, vargouille, or ghostly visage.

Can you propose an alternate, not literally evil incarnate, set of familiars?

Do inherentized augment crystals work for everything you have, one item specified at a time, or differently for weapons/armor?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:32:21 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2009, 05:18:55 AM »

Given the rules for saves being used, I'm swapping my monk1 dip for paladin 1 (golden lion substitution). 

That makes my progression:

Dread necromancer 4/Rainbow Servant 1/  Master of the Unseen hand 1//
 (Ghost savage progression) Expert 1/Battle Dancer 1/Expert 2/ (golden Lion sub)Paladin 1/ Expert 1

By your save rules, that should make it
BAB: 3 good, 3 average - (3)+(2*3/4)= +5.25
Fort: 1 good, 5 poor - (2)+(5/3)= +3 2/3
Ref: 1 good, 5 poor - (2)+(5/3)= +3 2/3
Will: 6 good - (2 + 6/2)= +5

I believe my class skill points also change
6*4 at first level (expert)
4 at second (battle dancer)
6 at third (expert)
6 at fourth (expert)
2 at fifth (paladin skills are sad )
6 at sixth (expert)
My int is a constant +4 to skills
6*7 +4 +2 +4*(6+3) = 84 points.  I'll have to prune two points out of somewhere.

Next level will be Rainbow Servant// Paladin, followed by MotUH//Dread Necromancer.
After that... Dunno.  I'm trying to get as much Rainbow Servant in over Dread Necromancer levels, but I'd like to advance MotUH as well... decisions decisions.

Does commoner half advancement spellcasting round up or down?

My new AC is... 10 + 9(deflection) + 9(battle dancer) + 5(dex) + 3 (half my level) -1 (aggressive) = 35

I haven't considered it, although keep in mind I'm not built to do much, if anything, in melee (unless if I pick up some melee warlock invocation, and even so that's questionable).

Your BAB/saves should be:
BAB: 3 good, 3 average - (3)+(3*(3/4)) = +5.25
Fort: 1 good, 5 poor - (2+1/2)+(5/3) = +11/3+1/2 = +4.16
Ref: 1 good, 5 poor - (2+1/2)+(5/3) = +11/3+1/2 = +4.16
Will: 6 good - (2+6/2) = +5

As for my proposed trope benefits:

Normally I Would Be Dead Now
  • Gain Diehard as a bonus feat, even if you do not meet prerequisites
  • AP - Gain the Loyalty Beyond Death Knight ability for one round. If your body does not remain intact (i.e. by a disintegrate spell) then you cannot use this ability. You do not spend a Knight's Challenge doing so (even if you have the Knight's Challenge class ability). You may activate this ability as an immediate action.
Bullet Hell
  • For each consecutive use of a ranged attack on a single target you gain a +1 bonus to damage (up to +4) on consecutive rounds. You immediately forfeit this bonus when you fail to target the same target on the next round. You may only select one enemy if the bonus applies to more than one target. Moving the target of this ability to another target immediately removes the bonus.
  • AP - You gain a +2 bonus to ranged attack rolls and a +4 bonus to ranged damage rolls for one round.
Deadly Upgrade (Or Daddy was a BBEG)
  • AP - You gain the ability to absorb blows as a Crusader does. You may absorb any amount of damage so long as your body is not disintegrated or otherwise destroyed. For every 5 points of damage you absorb you gain a +1 vile bonus to attack and damage rolls (rounded down). Healing may heal your hit points, the damage pool, or both (you may choose to split the healing), but doing so may decrease the bonus to attack and damage rolls. Unlike a Crusader, the damage does not affect your hit points until the effect ends. You are also enlargened to medium size (as if affected by a superior Enlarge Person spell). Your Marked Change imposes a -20 penalty to Hide checks and you are considered an evil creature so long as this effect persists. This state persists for 4 + Con modifier (if positive) rounds or otherwise dismissed.
Berserk Button (Pettanko)
  • Whenever someone activates your Berserk Button, you take a -4 to attack rolls on all enemies other than that enemy (unless if multiple enemies have activated this ability, in which you do not take a penalty to attacking such enemies).
  • Make a DC 12 + 1/2 enemy HD will save. If you fail, you enter a rage and must spend all your actions either by closing with such enemies or by attacking said enemies. You are effectively affected by a Barbarian's rage (although you may cast spells, use powers, and use spell-like abilities). At the start of every consecutive turn, you must make the same will save (at the same DC) to end this effect. Failure means that this effect persists.

I actually think Deadly Upgrade, as it is, is kind of underpowered. It also lacks the flavor of "don't use it because it (always) has a (big) backlash". Bullet Hell also seems to lack the punch that I wanted (abstractions are nice but they're, well, abstract). Any ideas?

Also, I'm not enough of a familiar? :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:21:00 AM by Rufei »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2009, 07:20:49 AM »
Deadly Upgrade eh, a simple way to do it would be to grant the Frenzied Berserker's Frenzy ability...or something of the sort, extremely high offense for a certain number of rounds, in exchange for taking continuous damage.  Didn't have time to check out your build in detail to get something more specific.

Bullet hell...how about granting the effect of a couple of stacked Split Rays on whatever attack you were using? Or maybe turning a single target ranged attack into an AoE Ref Save half attack?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »
Deadly Upgrade could work that way. Not sure what kind of adjustment on damage we'd do, but to get something as absurdly damaging as Frenzied Berserker I'd have to be real damn creative. There's no good way I can emulate the damage multiplication of Power Attack with eldritch blasts/energy rays, for instance. (The idea, though, is to have something similar to the damage output of the Frenzied Berserker, with a hefty backlash.)

Bullet Hell needs to be bullet spam, essentially. What if I could do something like that 4e Ranger ability where I continue making attacks at increasing negative modifiers? Hell, how about the following:

Bullet Hell
  • For any standard action ranged attack that requires an attack roll, you may make additional attacks at cumulative -5 penalties. The second attack (if made) is at half damage, the third attack at quarter, and so on and so forth. You may only make up to 6 additional attacks using this method. This method is a free action (that is performed in conjunction with the standard action ranged attack).
  • AP - ...
The first, if all hit, will only boost the damage of the attack by x2 (at most) due to limits. The second needs to be a more super version of the first, but I don't know how to finesse it so that it doesn't become overpowered... or underwhelming.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »
Hot blooded (anti trope):
DC *something* will save to avoid getting into combat and to leave it?  Penalty to resist being goaded into battle?  Inability to accept an opponent is better?  Kamina-style suicidal overconfidence?  Something like that.  

Dark is not Evil
Normal: Ignore alignments prereqs?  Dunno?
Action point: For the next #SOMENUMBER# rounds, all your spells are cast as if with purify or consecrate spell (or maybe even purify spell AND consecrate spell), but with no addition to level or casting time.

Field of Blades:
Normal: Full round action, fill all walls/ceilings/floors radius of 5' + 5 feet every 5 levels with masterwork weapons.  They vanish after 10 rounds - using the ability again before that time simply moves where the blades are.  Any creature moving on foot into or through the area moves at half speed, and takes d6 slashing damage (like a nerfed spike stones spell).

AP: Spend an action point to enhance violent thrust telekinesis against enemies within the Field of Blades.  Something like Level/4 additional blades, or +level/4 damage to each blade, or +d6 damage for each square in the field of blades, and makes the normal effect unusable for 10 rounds.

Staying Alive:
Dunno what the normal benefit for this is.  I've got so much "fortunately my powers will protect me" going on that it might be a little silly to add outright immunity ... and flat bonus to saves wouldn't be interesting.

AP: Some bonus to my level check for rejuvenation.  By the current rules I can already spend 1 action point to add a d6 to the roll, so maybe spend an additional AP to make it d6+2?

I suppose Dark is Not Evil could be my anti trope, giving me a default friendliness one lower on the scale if my undead status is recognized, and a -4 to charisma based checks towards those who recognize me as such.

Money question: if I pay 5000 for the sizing enhancement does it apply to every weapon I have, or just a specific one?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:36:28 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook