Author Topic: [Old] Character setup  (Read 63810 times)

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Character setup
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »
Bullet Spam is a trope, just not under that name. You're looking for More Dakka.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »
My guy is pretty much Archer.  Well, *an* archer.
Still room for ol' Gil then? ;)

You mean "Wall of Babelownage?" ;)

My guy is pretty much Archer.  Well, *an* archer.

Swordspam: 52d6 worth of check
Immune to everything but other Servants : Mostly Check (I didn't set out for 39 AC, it just happened.  Incorporeality being reflavored as EPIC TOUGHNESS helps, making magic weapons the only thing that can hurt me)
Able to revert to spiritual form at will: Check
Relies on magic for healing: Check.
Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound: Check (60' perfect fly speed, but reflavored into really big jumps most of the time.)

Yep. Which is why I'm looking for another concept because taking the concept of Archer to it's natural conclusion would produce something really close to your character with Master of the Unseen Hand.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:25:40 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2009, 09:26:16 PM »
More Dakka it is! (At least for normal attacks.)

Is a Petal a legal choice for race? Or do I have to try harder? :P

Still thinking of a way to supernova 1/day (or something like that). Also, thinking of pulling off a Swift Hunter warlock here in terms of mechanics.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
I've got it. Time to draft up a Touhou-esque character! Tsurupettan!

The main thing is to be able to do Beam Spam. That or bullet spam, but Beam Spam's a trope and bullet spam isn't. I'm not as well-versed in builds (specifically) as a lot of people here, so any pointers on how to do it? The idea is to be able to create (on a regular basis) quite a few "bullets" and have some sort of "bomb" technique (probably using Beam Spam and the previously mentioned tropes) that constitutes some massive AoE or something else.

Probably picking up Half Fey for this, since I'll need to fly. :P
Warlock probably works for the bullets and flight.  The massive bomb... hmm... I'm not familiar with higher level invocations, I'm afraid.
Easy, at least as far as I can see, gestalt a Warlock with Wilder/Kineticist/Shaper and use that for the bombs. Wilder if she's(I assume it's a she, some settings just don't have a place for guys) Tsurupettan and sensitive about it. The Crystal swarm/shard/burst of powers satisfy as far as physical attacks are concerned and Energy <Whatever> for well, energy, properly overchanneled.

For a specific one, Sakuya has Stratovarius's Echo class, which can be comboed with Psychic Warrior, Warblade or Nomad, with perhaps a dip in Master Thrower. You wouldn't be able to get the same flood of blades out, but it can come close, and again, Swarm of Crystals satisfy some of the more extreme exertions.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
Alright. My anime knowledge is failing me and I've had this idea in my mind for quite sometime. The character will be Magus Zeal from Chrono Trigger. One side of Gestalt will be Warmage(Prime32's fix).

Any good ideas for the other side? Stat emphasis on Cha primary and Int secondary (Magic-blooded Star/Fire/Gray Elf sounds like good racial stats and matches the pointed ears and his magic background).

Can I take "Advanced Learning" as a feat that mimics(and requires) the class feature of the same name? Basically there are a number of non-offensive spells he'll need to learn(Spell Immunity(?) for Magic Wall and Baleful Polymorph at the least; spells that improve physical/elemental defense are possibilities for the boss battle against him) and while I could use Spell Research and lose a spell known for another, I'd rather not touch those rules as they are breakable in the wrong hands and could make a bad precedent if I did it.

----

Also just realized a psionic//incarnum version of this might be doable, with a flaw that would give verbal and somatic component requirements to powers(something that is definitely worth a feat). Though that depends on how the following are being interpreted:

Azure Talent + Psycarnum Infusion (treating Azure Talent as "full" but never actually investing essentia in it might in theory create a rechargeable battery of power points)
Midnight Augmentation (are you nerfing this or not?)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:18:03 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »
Easy, at least as far as I can see, gestalt a Warlock with Wilder/Kineticist/Shaper and use that for the bombs. Wilder if she's(I assume it's a she, some settings just don't have a place for guys) Tsurupettan and sensitive about it. The Crystal swarm/shard/burst of powers satisfy as far as physical attacks are concerned and Energy <Whatever> for well, energy, properly overchanneled.

For a specific one, Sakuya has Stratovarius's Echo class, which can be comboed with Psychic Warrior, Warblade or Nomad, with perhaps a dip in Master Thrower. You wouldn't be able to get the same flood of blades out, but it can come close, and again, Swarm of Crystals satisfy some of the more extreme exertions.

I'm no good at psionics... and I end up with poorer BAB and saves in general when I use Wilder instead of a Swift Hunter build. Of course, that gives me bombs, which is still absurdly tempting... and it's a lot better on the synergy. I ran the stats down and at lv 6:

LA +2/Warlock 4//Warrior 2/Ranger 1/Scout 3 - BAB +6, +7/+5/+4
LA +2/Warlock 4//Warrior 2/Wilder 4 - BAB +5, +4/+1/+4

Of course, it's really the abilities that matter, but doing the former is a lot harder to hit. I might end up going with Wilder anyways, although I'm currently crash-coursing myself on psionics. :banghead

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »
Well, wilder isn't one of the better psionic classes, what with skimpy powers known, and the psychic enervation thing being pretty nasty, but it conceptually fits, and theres a Wilder fix over in House Rules.

It's less reliable for the initial bang, but you don't get raped so hard with enervation afterwards.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:58 PM »

I'm no good at psionics... and I end up with poorer BAB and saves in general when I use Wilder instead of a Swift Hunter build. Of course, that gives me bombs, which is still absurdly tempting... and it's a lot better on the synergy. I ran the stats down and at lv 6:

LA +2/Warlock 4//Warrior 2/Ranger 1/Scout 3 - BAB +6, +7/+5/+4
LA +2/Warlock 4//Warrior 2/Wilder 4 - BAB +5, +4/+1/+4

Of course, it's really the abilities that matter, but doing the former is a lot harder to hit. I might end up going with Wilder anyways, although I'm currently crash-coursing myself on psionics. :banghead
I don't get what you're doing with LA there.  The LA should just be levels in a NPC class.  (I recommend expert at first level for the skills).  Also, given that we're apparently not using fractional saves and BAB, making sure your classes are "out of phase" is a definite advantage (taking advantage of this is a little cheesy, I admit.  It's basically the same as single level dips for good saves, but a little more complicated).

I believe Expert 1/Warrior1/ Warlock4//Ranger1/Wilder5 gets you a BAB increase at every level, and your saves will be pretty good too.  Skills are decent from first level expert, and given how the rules for skills are modified (no double-price cross-class skills, but normal maximums apply), you should look at the class skills from everything else, then pick 10 more as your expert class skills. 

Lemme see if I can calculate the saves with non-fractional BAB.  Format is fort/ref/will
Level 1: Expert gives +2 will, ranger gives +2 fort +2 ref.  Saves are 2/2/2, BAB is +1 (ranger increase)
Level 2: Wilder gives +2 will, warrior gives +2 fort.  Saves are 4/2/4, BAB is +2 (warrior increase)
Level 3: Wilder2 gains +1 will, warlock gives +2 will, highest wins.  Saves are 4/2/6.  BAB is +3 (wilder increases this level)
Level 4: Wilder3 gains +1 fort +1 ref, warlock1 gains +1 will, Saves are 5/3/7.  BAB is +4(Wilder and warlock both gain BAB here)
Level 5: Wilder4 gains +1 will, warlock3 gains +1 fort +1 ref.  Saves are 6/4/8.  BAB is +5( Wilder and warlock both gain BAB)
Level 6: Wilder 5 gains no saves or BAB.  Fortunately, warlock 4 gains +1 will, and +1 BAB.  Saves are 6/4/9, BAB is +6
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:51:21 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »
Real quick,

A) Is a mythweavers character sheet link alright, or do I have to do the multiple-spoiler tabbed character sheet?

B) I don't think this got answered, but how do we determine HP? Is it full 1st level then average rolls for the other 5 (plus modifiers)?

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2009, 12:29:01 AM »
Looks like I misunderstood what the LA was about. As for the stats, that works out quite nicely (and I was considering doing things out of step).

Well, if I never try out psionics, I'll never get to know the system, I guess. As for the Ranger level, I might swap that out with something else (Ranger's still a solid choice, of course). Targeteer, if I can manage to get a positive Str score, would gel quite nicely. Duskblade isn't a bad choice either, although what I gain in spell versatility I lose in skill versatility.

I'll also take the Wilder fix. Feels like Wild Mage, only psionics (the fix, that is). Thanks for the help everyone.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2009, 12:37:45 AM »
Real quick,

A) Is a mythweavers character sheet link alright, or do I have to do the multiple-spoiler tabbed character sheet?

B) I don't think this got answered, but how do we determine HP? Is it full 1st level then average rolls for the other 5 (plus modifiers)?
A) I assume it's fine, since a couple of people are already doing offsite sheets.
B) I assume it's full first level, then roll the next five (plus mods).  At least, Prime32 didn't say anything to me when I did that, except that I didn't need to take off 2 hp for my legacy weapon.  Rolls are on your honor, obviously.

Looks like I misunderstood what the LA was about. As for the stats, that works out quite nicely (and I was considering doing things out of step).

Yeah, without the LA change I wouldn't have even touched the ghost template (well, maybe two levels of the savage progression).  As is, it works out slightly worse than the appropriate hit dice, although obviously your mileage may vary depending on what race(dragon hit dice are awesome, humanoid is only barely above spell-less commoners{not to imply that racial hit dice are an option, you understand.  Just that this is a roughly equivalent step}).

Be sure to get Iajutsu focus as a class skill.  Being able to draw your sword and cut through a tank is so anime it's making my eyes explode.
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2009, 12:52:51 AM »

Well, if I never try out psionics, I'll never get to know the system, I guess. As for the Ranger level, I might swap that out with something else (Ranger's still a solid choice, of course). Targeteer, if I can manage to get a positive Str score, would gel quite nicely. Duskblade isn't a bad choice either, although what I gain in spell versatility I lose in skill versatility.

I'll also take the Wilder fix. Feels like Wild Mage, only psionics (the fix, that is). Thanks for the help everyone.
:) Glad to be of service, was hoping your first experience with psionics wasn't spending every other round dazed because of a badly written class feature. :P
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2009, 01:49:56 AM »
Seeing other people's hp makes me feel guilty, so I'm taking out Faerie Mysteries initiate (so no int to HP). Any ideas for a good feat replacement? Otherwise, I'll probably just go with a Blade Meditation (Diamond Mind)

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2009, 02:06:32 AM »
You'll make me feel guilty for using Faerie Mysteries Initiate then! :P

(Still, I'll need it direly as my Con is only a 12 on d6 HD.)

Since I've got a build, I'll go ahead and do my HP. Also swapped out the Ranger with Exoticist (Fighter Variant) because having 4 EWPs for free is sexy. And 10 HP.

HP (1d8+4d6+10+24=57) or 57-18 = 39 without Faerie Mysteries Initiate... hey, that isn't bad at all. Well, it isn't too bad. I'll actually do the same and just take Air Heritage for an interesting boost to my fly speed.

I'll be using a Mythweavers sheet for this too... that'll come up shortly.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2009, 02:32:59 AM »
I can't really use Faerie Mysteries in good conscience.  After all, it's only able to be taken at first level, and I wouldn't have known about the awful HP rolls to come.  And even if it fits thematically for a fey-like with air ancestry to know faerie mysteries, I don't really need the boost.  I suppose if I really need it I can unlock it from my legacy item later.
Planetouched Handbook

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2009, 03:23:48 AM »
Fair enough. Question: How much "wealth" are we starting off with?

I've got a hell of a challenge - I have to fit everything into 10 lbs of light load. At least equipment will scale to my tiny size. Hopefully. :twitch

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2009, 05:36:13 AM »
Fair enough. Question: How much "wealth" are we starting off with?

I've got a hell of a challenge - I have to fit everything into 10 lbs of light load. At least equipment will scale to my tiny size. Hopefully. :twitch

Half weight for each size decrease.  So you effectively have 40 lbs light load, which should be enough. 

If you haven't taken the slow trait, and you want more HP, remember it only applies to land speed.  If you're airborne most (all) the time, it's a good investment. 

Sorry to keep asking rules questions, but what's my carrying capacity from Ghostly Grasp?  Most (all) my equipment is ethereal (and hence weightless {ghost rules can be pretty dumb}), but I'd like to know how much "real" stuff I can cart around.  One of the articles about incorporeal creatures for a vaguely similar situation suggests using the cha modifier instead of strength for incorporeal creatures, and it seems like a sane compromise between being able to carry an arbitrarily large amount of ethereal equipment and a limited amount of material plane equipment. 

Not that I wouldn't mind having unlimited ammo, just that it seemed broken when combined with the "free mundane items".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:53:13 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2009, 06:39:28 AM »
TML, Hammerspace.:D
That's your Ethereal storage.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Heliomance

• Email
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2009, 07:50:59 AM »
Wait - I just had a horrific idea.
Free mundane items+Hammerspace trope+Quickdraw+flight=fly over someone and drop infinite anvils on their head as a free action.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2009, 07:58:56 AM »
I can't the slow trait - it's for land speeds of 20' or higher. Petals start with 15' land speed. :P

It seems that I won't be pulling anything broken, aside from the fact that I'm damn near guaranteed to hit. I'll need some expensive padded armor if I want to use my entire Dex bonus, too, let alone mythril chainshirts/breastplates. I might just screw armor altogether.

But at least I can blast away and never succumb to anything mental except on a crit fail. :P

Hanami, the lazy bullet hell fairy. For your viewing pleasure.

(I also have questions: The rules in the PHB and DMG don't quite cover this. The 10' reach on a Kusari-gama, does it go away when made tiny? Keep in mind that it is a 10' reach on a Medium sized creature and stays that way for a Small sized creature. Reasoning for the double kusari-gamas? Avoiding AoOs when flying into enemy spaces with 0 reach. (And Iaijutsu Focus death.) Also, I've never touched Legacy Weapons before (I've only seen them in passing/glanced over some). Can someone give a general rundown? The handbooks are still rather confusing. Also, am I correct in assuming 2 flaws, 2 traits (as I've seen on other sheets)?)

Also, anvils fall, party dies, is probably going to be the response we'll get for that. :P