Author Topic: We need something awesome  (Read 23027 times)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: We need something awesome
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
The two halves of my brain are currently at war regarding this idea.
One goes:
AWESOME!!!!!
and goes on and on and on about cool stuff and ideas.
The other one goes:
GROOOOOAAAANN!!!!!
and complains about how much of an headache the ruleset would pose, not to mention the problems that could happen.

Currently, the former is winning, though the latter may gain ground as my level of fatigue due to bad sleeping rythms increases.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 06:34:47 PM »
The two halves of my brain are currently at war regarding this idea.
One goes:
AWESOME!!!!!
and goes on and on and on about cool stuff and ideas.
The other one goes:
GROOOOOAAAANN!!!!!
and complains about how much of an headache the ruleset would pose, not to mention the problems that could happen.

Currently, the former is winning, though the latter may gain ground as my level of fatigue due to bad sleeping rythms increases.
Don't worry, the former! I'll help!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:37:42 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
Also, another one, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Anime fanfic edition. Massively Multiplayer Crossover ftw. God bless the DM with the nutsack to try to steer that though.
The simplest way to run that would be a Fate/stay night or Shaman King deal - heroes have been summoned from throughout the multiverse, but they have lost strength in the process, which will return over time.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 06:44:46 PM »
The other one goes:
GROOOOOAAAANN!!!!!

I'm wondering why people are trying to reinvent the wheel? There exist roleplaying systems for this sort of thing that can make just as much awesome without going through the headache of trying to adding 100 houserules to an already complex system like D&D.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »
I'm wondering why people are trying to reinvent the wheel? There exist roleplaying systems for this sort of thing that can make just as much awesome without going through the headache of trying to adding 100 houserules to an already complex system like D&D.
Because noone wants to learn them. :p
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »
Because noone wants to learn them. :p
Or unless they are cyberspace swashbucklers, they probably don't have the books either. It's a compromise between ease of play and actually having players.

Though I suppose GURPS should be common enough....

EDIT:

Also, another one, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Anime fanfic edition. Massively Multiplayer Crossover ftw. God bless the DM with the nutsack to try to steer that though.
The simplest way to run that would be a Fate/stay night or Shaman King deal - heroes have been summoned from throughout the multiverse, but they have lost strength in the process, which will return over time.

Well, depending if you want a 'Master' NPC over the character, but the premise is easy enough. Called to a certain day and age, the various heroes fall to earth like a meteor shower as portals fill the skies, at the same time, some of the locals wake to find themselves with newfound abilities.

Scientists(the regular, not the mad variety) tear their hair out over daily breaches of common sense, physical laws, and the property damage. The reconstruction industry enjoys a booming trade in the wake of the massive and frequent repairs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:29:30 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 09:55:13 PM »
@Prime32
 :D Mechas :D

@Everybody

Isn't BESM made for anime madness?
Though I have the distinct memory of reading that that system is broke-tastic...
As in brokedilly-borked-broken...
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »
Mutants and Masterminds might do pretty well too, the way damage, range and speed scales match anime stuff fairly well. The question is who has the books and is interested.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »
Mutants and Masterminds might do pretty well too, the way damage, range and speed scales match anime stuff fairly well. The question is who has the books and is interested.

*inserts self into topic*

That'll be me.  :D
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
Kinda overdoing it.  I was planning to run Sailor Moon/Ranma/pokemon with limited houserules and partial gestalt.

It's very doable.  I'm planning on doing Sailor moon as Incarnum, and Ranma as ToB, with maybe a druid variant replacing Pokemon.  Need anime that fit the TOM classes though....   An maybe psionics.  No regular magic, only "school" casters (Dread Necro/Warmage for Slayers), and Beguiler and Healer as well.

Dragonball Z would require triple gestalt, but dragonball z ceases to be fun because when you can blow up the plante as a full round action, it just seems kinda pointless.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 10:51:40 PM »
Dragonball wouldn't be that hard to do; it's just in Z/GT that it gets ridiculous. Then again, about ten thousand bad guys, each literally more powerful than the last by an unimaginable degree, manage to wind up on earth. Just limit the options, dragonball would be fine. Pokemon just seems like "how can I get six familiars" or some kind of average-joe summoner.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 01:17:55 AM »
Flay, our avatars are destined to do battle. /off topic

@Shoestring: you mentioned psionics at the end. I think I'd enjoy playing someone with psychic powers in an anime setting. :)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:07 AM »
Someone needs to start a completely over-the-top, anime-style game. Possibly using these house rules. I tried twice. I failed twice.
I'm completely on board with those rules... I've been wanting to try out a character for a while now...  :devil

How would ability scores be figured? Some rediculously high point buy? 52 perhaps?

Also, I think a triple gestalt would be cool, allowing one of the tracks to hold the NPC levels which compensate for LA.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:47:15 AM by Prak, the Mad »

AvalonŽ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »

*inserts self into topic*

That'll be me.  :D

I also have the books.

Thing with MnM is there are already tons of conversions for DC/Marvel/Wildstorm/Manga/Anime/etc. chars at sites like the Atomic Think Tank boards and they indeed can handle what you guys are planning.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »
but... but... this is my chance to play my gest. thri kreen warlock/soul knife!!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »
Some guys at GitP were playing a Nanoha campaign using Mutants & Masterminds - it seemed to work well.
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 12:08:03 PM »
Some guys at GitP were playing a Nanoha campaign using Mutants & Masterminds - it seemed to work well.
The words "Nanoha campaign" are all you need to say to get me to post here. :P
I don't have M&M, though, and don't really want to bother learning another ruleset. I think the magic system could be reasonably imitated with 4e, though. Say, Nanoha as Zap Cleric or Starlock, Fate as (Assault) Swordmage, Vita and Signum as Fighters (Battlerager and Two-Handed Weapon Talent respectively, I'd say) etc.
Alternatively, remember that DMM poster on the motivators thread?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:09:49 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »
I don't have M&M, though, and don't really want to bother learning another ruleset. I think the magic system could be reasonably imitated with 4e, though. Say, Nanoha as Zap Cleric or Starlock, Fate as (Assault) Swordmage, Vita and Signum as Fighters (Battlerager and Two-Handed Weapon Talent respectively, I'd say) etc.
I posted that motivator.

Nanoha: Human (Intermediate air elemental bloodline) Warlock/hellfire warlock/legacy champion with a cleric dip
Fate: Duskling Whirling frenzy barbarian/Battle sorcerer/swiftblade with Blue Dragon Lineage feat and a cleric dip
Signum: Cleric/warblade/Ordained champion
Subaru: Just look here

One of the reasons I recall for M&M being chosen was that all damage is non-lethal. Even "Burasuta Turi! Dibaiiiiin... BUSUTAAAH!!!" didn't kill anyone.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:42:56 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »
I posted that motivator.

Nanoha: Human (Intermediate air elemental bloodline) Warlock/hellfire warlock/legacy champion with a cleric dip
Fate: Duskling Whirling frenzy barbarian/Battle sorcerer/swiftblade with Blue Dragon Lineage feat and a cleric dip
Signum: Cleric/warblade/Ordained champion
Subaru: Just look here

One of the reasons I recall for M&M being chosen was that all damage is non-lethal. Even "Burasuta Turi! Dibaiiiiin... BUSUTAAAH!!!" didn't kill anyone.
Nice. I'd probably make Vita a Charger build, possibly also with Cleric and Ordained Champion levels. I'm not sure how to handle Graf Eisen though, other than using improvised weapon tables when he (it?) becomes too large to normally wield.

As for nonlethal damage: Meh, that's an easily implemented houserule. With 4th ed, you could just say that all living creatures simply fall unconscious at 0 hp instead of dying. Rules are as normal for nonliving ones, natch. :D

[insert "yay 500th post!" spam]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:54:08 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 12:56:59 PM »
Nice. I'd probably make Vita a Charger build, possibly also with Cleric and Ordained Champion levels. I'm not sure how to handle Graf Eisen though, other than using improvised weapon tables when he (it?) becomes too large to normally wield.
Dwarf Ordained Champion. Divine Might feat. Brutal Throw. Either Destruction Devotion or Strength Devotion (I can't remember which is which). Possibly a barbarian dip ("YOU MADE ME LOSE MY HAAAAT!!!"). Major titan bloodline, and a warhammer with the sizing enchantment.

Hayate is a warmage. Shamal is an Adept.

I don't really know much about M&M - from what I saw in that GitP game it was very cinematic, with mode changes and improvised spells flying everywhere, but that could have been just the group.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:02:37 PM by Prime32 »
My work