Author Topic: GURPS recommendations?  (Read 1603 times)

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
GURPS recommendations?
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:20:43 AM »
I'm looking at using GURPS lite rules to run a semi-cyberpunk game (Think Isaac Asimov's Caves of Steel, et al., trilogy). If anyone has played with either GURPS or G-Lite, what are some of the pitfalls to look out for, and what other advice do you have?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:56:28 AM by Chemus »
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: GURPS recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
What edition are you running? And what houserules apply?

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:45:07 PM »
It sounds like you want to run a very thematic game (cyberpunk usually is).  If that's the case, just be careful that the players select merits and flaws that fit thematically within the game you want to run.  There is so much GURPS material out there that it's easy for someone to find an ability they like mechanically that just does NOT work with the feel you want to create.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
First thing personally, instead of handing them the whole book, I'd get a list of what stuff they can get, and which of those come in a set. Giving the players some guidelines as to minimum fighting/whatever abilities are expected is also important, or they might show up with one guy picking combat stuff to the hilt, and another pretty much forgetting to do anything of the sort.

The usual pitfalls of point based systems anyway.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »
What edition are you running? And what houserules apply?

Probably G-Lite 3rd, w/o house rules (except that possibly HT=Stamina and ST=Hit Points)

Shoggoth: OK, thanks. Currently the Players have G-Lite and Cyberpunk.

veekie: Ah. Thanks for the advice; I've never run a CP system, and only played one adventure in a homebrewed CP system.

Thanks for the advice folks!
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

gtroc

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Dancing in the stars.
    • The Laughing Stick
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
In GURPS you need to do a lot more front loading, especially when using a home brew world. with all the options available the key is to start with your limitations on the world. what won't you allow. no magic, no time travel, that sort of thing. then move on to specific limitations that fall within your specified genre. cybernetics are allowed, but gene modification isn't, or the other way around. then you need to look into what skills are going to be used all the time, then you want to either raise the point value on them(to encourage focus), or lower it(to encourage diversity). also what advantages are allowed, what are disallowed, you need a list of those before character creation. on the plus side once you have done all that work, the game runs fairly smoothly. with GURPS, however, the more work you do upfront, the better the game will end up.
I saw a lady on T.V. She was born without arms. Literally, she was born with her hands attached to her shoulders... and that was sad, but then they said, "Lola does not know the meaning of the word 'can't.'" And that to me was kinda worse... in a way... ya know? Not only does she not have arms, but she doesn't understand simple contractions. It's very simple Lola, you just take two words, you put them together, then you take out the middle letters, you put a comma in there and you raise it up!
-Mitch Hedberg

Games
running: Power and Consequences
Planning: An Imperfect World